Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Gonzo.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Back on the road - Boosted at 6 psi!!(Pg. 63) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Install Thre

Tuning is ongoing right now. It's being done via email since no one in the UK knows what to do with this engine or the EMS. Chris of BNT Performance is doing the tuning for me and it's working great so far.

As far as power...hell I have no idea. Apparently there's a dyno setup at the strip next weekend and I may throw it on there once between runs down the strip to see where I'm at.

And yeah dopes6070, I think boosting in first will be something I avoid from now on, she just breaks loose and hits the rev limiter before I can even blink. What amazes me is that this is only 5.5 psi. I still have 3.5 more psi to tune for!

Last edited by speedfoos; 09-30-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

MarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura about
Re: Back on the road - Boosted at 6 psi!!(Pg. 63) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Install Thre

damn foos, im jealous.... you suck
Old 09-30-2007

LOL March - put that in your Si and smoke it!
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

hey foos wel i was happy in your place too man. cant wait till i get there but
i got my 2de D17a9 engine and slowly starting the build.

How your oil temp because i still want to compare find mine strange
going up to like 248F maybe i realy need to try 5w20 full synthetic.
Oh i checked the circuit diargam again with a friend that know a little
more about it so, .... yor fans should work fine also with everything
from the ac circuit gone.

peace
Old 09-30-2007

Ooooo!!! Lookee there! Can't wait to see the progress on it man!

Hmm. I might swap the fan relay out then, since that's probably what went bad. That manual switch I put in is for the birds.

My oil temp doesn't go above 220F even when I'm driving the **** out of it. That's on 5W30 synthetic. I would run that if I were you. It dropped 20F from 5W20 synthetic and that oil (10W40 right?) you were running is way too thick for our little oil pump.
Old 09-30-2007

New 3" inlet/outlet Magnaflow cat and 3" piping has just been ordered. Thanks Uncle Summit!
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

MarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura aboutMarchMadnessisM has a spectacular aura about

you know what foos ima get boosted eventually n my Si will smoke ur *** lol but till then i cant say **** u win haha
Old 09-30-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

foos finally learned his lesson, use summit, not autozone, and never Napa, congrats on the magnaflow
Old 09-30-2007
Banned

7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about

Nice vids bro, lookin like its comin together for you, grats! I cant wait till i start my install next week. Almost got everything i need =)

Originally Posted by speedfoos

Which one are you talking about and what trim is it? Link me as he has so many. If it's one of the top two on his main turbo page page (the one with 63 different snails) then there is no comparison really. There is a huge difference between the sleeve and ball bearing turbos. Aside from that, you'd have to compare compressor maps and a bunch of technical stuff that I don't have a good grasp of yet to really compare them.

Dezod "L" T3/T04E Turbocharger (400HP) (4 Bolt Circular Discharge) E housing with a Stage 3 .48 A/R turbine

Tial 38mm Wastegate Polished w/ .4 Bar(5.80 Psi) Spring (using apexi's AVC-R electronic boost controller)
Old 09-30-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

Whoa! Whered these updates came from! Those videos are awesome.. hopefully ull have some videos from the track..not just some ones from in the car but the ones on the outside of u smokin whoevers out there.. looks good, conrats.. 9psi will be godly!!
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

The vids look great.

Gotta disagree about the NAPA comment. I been using them for like 30 years. The guys that run the counter are all ex-mechanics or machinists with 10 plus years of experience instead of the min wage High School drop-outs you find in those other parts stores. Anyways, not trying to start an arguement but rather just trying to say something remotely relevent to the thread on a post so I can find where I left off a week from now.
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by speedfoos
What amazes me is that this is only 5.5 psi. I still have 3.5 more psi to tune for!
are u going to be boosting 9 psi? with stock internals ?? is that something i should be worried about .. im going to be tuned at 5 psi .. but if i don't see 180whp .. i wana crank it up ?? gimme some input
Old 10-01-2007
Banned

7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about7thgen.nick has a spectacular aura about

im hoping to get 180 with stock internals at 6psi. well see...
Old 10-01-2007

Originally Posted by 7thgen_k20vic
mumble, mumble, turbo stuff
That turbo and mine aren't in the same class so you can't really compare them. It's a .48 A/R whereas mine is .63 A/R plus it looks like a sleeve bearing turbo vice a ball bearing turbo that mine is. Now that is not to say there is anything wrong with it. It will probably spool about as fast mine, it's a smaller turbo but from what I understand, the response time on a sleeve bearing is a titch slower than a ball bearing. You will make more power at lower levels of boost than I will though, that's for sure. I would say go for it. It's a great turbo that won't break the bank.

Hey Carl, I hear you about Napa or any other brick and mortar store that you can walk in and talk to someone. Even at Autozone, there's usually one guy who knows what's going on. But online sales, I'll never deal with anyone else but Summit for routine parts if I can help it.

Originally Posted by emjay
more turbo stuff
Yes my internals are stock, but I did replace the head bolts. Also, which injectors are you running? RSX-S injectors max out at around 5-6 psi so you need to be sure your car can dump enough fuel to not blow up when you "crank it up". The internals 'should' take it though. I'm a little worried about 9 psi to be honest with you. That mark is general statement and 9 psi is different with each turbo. So we'll see.
Old 10-01-2007
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

no i agree about napa, their employees are great, really know what they are doing, but their parts are crap, put an alternator on the sisters car, and it went out in 10 minutes, literally!!! then a belt on my car, and poof half way home, snapped off, sucked, i just decided to go orieley's, cuz i know what i need, dont need them to know

hey foos, id like to see some drive by vids, shifting and boosting, and blow off valving, making all kinds of noise, and going fast!!! sorry bout the rant, im just excited to see 9 pis, and u sharing it with us
Old 10-01-2007
Banned

Yeah i was hoping for more power at lower rpms and also not having to be under high boost. Ill be getting a p&p, titanium retainers and valves, and possibly forged pistons way later dwn the road, theill worre more about uper power. Just lookin for some xtra umfh.. lol. getting tired of beeing beat by buicks with 5 rednecks in it with fishing poles hangn out the windows coming home from work.

Im thinkin about usng the apexi boost contrller so i dont have to run alot o boost all the time. I drve 45min to work and 45 min back everyday, and being i hve 150kmiles on my engine already, i was weary as it was.. but i think itll be ok. Soif i change my 5.8psi tal bar to something like a 1psior 2psi, i can just ajust theboost as needed with th controller rght? or can you not go that low at all? Im assuming also i have to cange fuel and ignitionmapson the emaage as well, using lower or higher boost. that would be nice if it just knew... haha
Old 10-01-2007
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Boost and internals

Well I've never busted a rod but the general consensus is that 200HP is the approximate limit for Civic internals (rods). My guess is that you already know this. Some builders may get more if they have a good tune. So I'm not sure where 9lbs of boost will net your build out HP and TQ wise Clint but my guess is that you'll be somewhere around that number. My winter build is a 78mm bored out D16Y8 stroked with a D17 crank. Later I'll add a blower at around 8lbs of boost. I expect this to net me somewhere around 200 HP as well but with a lot of low end torque and my build will include the maxi-lite Crower D17 rods. At first I thought I would be ok with stock rods but then after gutting a D17 block and seeing how thin the rods are, it got me kind of concerned - so I'll be sacrificing a few steak dinners for PB&J to save up the bucks for the Crowers. Just curious what your thoughts are with using stock internals on your build.

PS - What was all that reference to the Clampetts awhile back? The '62 Chevy was a new car when my Mom drove it. It had chrome trim, grill, and bumpers and no seat belts (didn't come with them). No power brakes either. Maybe that's why they called them muscle cars cause it really built up the guns.
Old 10-01-2007
Banned

I as well, want to do new pistons and rods. Ill have to have it done, as im sure i do not have the right tools/knowledge to do it myself. Does the entire block have to be removed to do that kind of work? im thinking i should get it done the same time i get my port and polish/titanium valve set done.... any thoughts on the whole process?
Old 10-01-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

ya the engine needs to come out of the car for machining
Old 10-01-2007
My cats breath smells like cat food.

MURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond repute

^^^what he said.

Last edited by MURDOCK; 10-01-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2007

MURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond reputeMURDOCK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Boost and internals

Yes allow me to field that question about the Clampett remark if you will.

In all actuality I am a rather big fan of old American muscle. My dad use to own a 66 Mustang with a 289 that thing used to have a hatch near the floor panel that could be opened to allow fresh air into the cabin I guess that was the A/C also no fm radio and brakes that needed like 200lb ft of leg pressure to bring the car to a stop.
Currently I have a 79 Wide track Cherokee I think the wheelbase is a 109 anyway I finished the restoration on that about 2 years ago it has a 5.9L V8 AMC 360 bored .60 over with a lot of High performance parts.
NO radio NO A/C pretty Clampett huh lol.
Old 10-01-2007
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Damn foos has been busy....
It is amazing what boost can do....I'm running 6.5-7psi of boost right now and you can tell a night & day difference when I was @ 9 PSI. It made almost a 20WHP difference. You will for sure feel a difference with it @ 9!
It's a shame though I'm getting bored with the power......it's still slow. A bit quicker but nothing I'm proud of yet....Maybe a low 14, high 13 second pass.. we'll see.
Seein you do the headgasket has modivated me now, mine hopefully goes on next month with some more funds $$$
My boost problem is still present. You mash it and sometimes you build boost and you hear that turbo roar. Sometimes you hit it and all you hear is the turbo screaming and you just wait & look around like wtf?!?!?
I had all the intercooler piping redone aswell so I'm lost

Oh, and just to add to my turbo problems. The car has been pulling hard, I mean hard to the right under any kind of acceleration. Yes, I do understand torque steer. However, I know I don't have enough power to break the tires in 3rd,4th, or 5th.
I put my car on lift at work on friday & moved my wheels from lock to lock to discover a very loose & noisy power steering rack. Inner & outer rods are good but when you go from stop to stop it goes **CLUNK, CLUNK**
That means it's gonna **** my brand you Nitto's and my alignment wasn't neccessary! wooho!!

Aren't cars fun!!
Old 10-01-2007
Registered!!

Very cool Murdock. Congrats on that restoration (little jealous here). Yup, I remember those air vents. I had a girlfriend back in the 70's who had 2 yes TWO 68 Mustang convertibles. They were in half decent shape. They had not yet become a classic they were just 12 year old cars that she got for about $100 EACH!
Old 10-01-2007

Drive-by vids and all that will be coming soon enough. Mon-Wed is busy for me after work because of soccer practice and games to coach.

Not sure how the car is going to react to the PnP head I have sitting here. I'm honestly a little leary about strapping it on the car without having access to a local tuner and dyno. This email tuning thing is working, but the inherent delays would be a PITA with the PnP head I think. Here's the thing with the boost controller though. You don't **** with the timing at all on our cars for that level of boost. Plus, if you are tuned for 5.5 psi and want to ratchet it down to 1 psi, then you're fine. The EMS will dump fuel according to the intersection of engine load and RPMs with boost level factored in as well. If it's not reading 5.5 psi of boost it's not going to dump gobs of fuel.

I hear you about the internals Carl. They're on my list, but machine work is expensive over here. For daily driving, I will probably stick right around 7 psi and run 9 psi on the occasional track day. A bulletproof gut will have to wait until I get back to the states, although I might take another assignment to Germany. Momma and I have some discussin' to do about that.... Either way, I'm buying new rods, pistons, and assorted stuff when I get back from my deployment in March.

Ouch FoSho, You and your car have some issues to take care of. Could your intercooler be leaking? Something dumb, but what the TB? Is it tightened down? You have to be losing pressure somewhere. What about the BOV seal?

P.S. Carl. And I thought I was old being born in '76..........

Last edited by speedfoos; 10-01-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2007
Banned

what psi spring you usin clint? what ems?

ima have a 5.8 in my tial, so im not goign to be able to get any lower than that, but im going to change that for my daily highway driving i have to do. Whats the lowest you can go? Im using emanage blue, so im asuming itll do all the adjusting when i change the boost on my apexi controller
Old 10-01-2007

Yes actually you will be able to, which is contrary to what I originally thought. I've got the .5 BAR (7.252 psi) spring in mine and my boost controller is ratcheting it down to 5.5 psi. So your Apexi controller should allow you to do the very same thing.

I'm using the PCS-XFC for engine management. Great little piggyback IMO!
Old 10-01-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

lol yes your old if you were born in 76...
Old 10-01-2007

Very true Don. But this:

Originally Posted by sql_civic
I had a girlfriend back in the 70's who had 2 yes TWO 68 Mustang convertibles.
means Carl is really old.
Old 10-01-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

lol yah really...
Old 10-01-2007

Hey Clint I was born in 76 also and little do these "young guys" know 31 is just around the corner for them

Quick Reply: Gonzo.