Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Gonzo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: It's Rebuild Time- Scored Cylinder Wall FTL (Pg. 159) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thre

That looks pretty ****ing good. Clean blocks for the win.
Old 07-03-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: It's Rebuild Time- Scored Cylinder Wall FTL (Pg. 159) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thre

Thanks man!

Woot! Over 100,000 views of this thread! You guys make me feel so special!

And remember folks, take steps to reduce your carbon footprint. Stop using toilet paper today!

Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

Looking Clint!!! Man, I'm getting so frustrated that I don't have the funds right now to start my build. Not to mention I have my bike that I'm also modding... Man decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!
Old 07-03-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

clint, when you say you were tapping in your piston, did you literally mean you were slowly tapping it in with the ring compressor around it? you're supposed to compress the rings right above the skirt, drop it into the cylinder as low as it'll go, then with a hammer handle give 1 good solid blow to drop it in. It should never take more than 1 hit to get it completely into the cylinder. To help with this you want to fill a coffee can or container with oil and drop the whole piston into it, ring side first. compress it and pop it in.

moving on, since we're talking about clutches, unsprung clutches will be better for someone who plans on driving hard. a sprung clutch will loose the spring tension in a few burn outs, rendering them useless. So save yourself the potential noise. If you don't drive like a nut, then you'll enjoy the smoother engagement that the springs help provide. I personally think my stage 1 exedy with the exedy light fly is one of the best setups for a mildly built D17.

PLEASE don't mix a used bearing with an old bearing clint. do what you have to do to find a new bearing half. New bearings have a 'crush' area (you can tell because a new bearing will never sit quite flush with the seat, it always sticks out a little versus a used bearing that does sit flush in its seat) that help position the bearing into the bore. When you have 1 used one and 1 new one, the bearings will never properly seat into the bore making it a potential oil pressure problem waiting to happen down the line.

also, if you got honda rings, they come pregapped but that doesnt mean you shouldnt check the gap for each ring. also be sure to use an old ring, broken in half use on the square side, to clean out the ring lands of any carbon build up or deposits. remember that the compression rings are directional and the engraving must face UP! oil rings dont matter.

I dont know what else im missing, but it'll come to me.

Last edited by skipbarber; 07-03-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

good info edwin!!!
Old 07-04-2008

Fantastic info Edwin!

I've got a whole set of ACL bearings on the way (should be here already) and I should be able to fish a new one out of that set to go with my Honda bearings, since the Green one is still out of stock. Now that I'm delayed a bit due to the machine work, I'll be able to find the right size from that set.

Good enough on the can of oil for the piston install.

I ordered Wiseco rings (to match the pistons) so I will assume they come pre-gapped as well. Once they arrive, I'll give Wiseco a call and ask them.

What's the easiest way to get the wrist pins out of the pistons? A brass drift? It's because I have to ask questions like this that I don't feel completely comfortable installing the rotating assembly myself.
Old 07-04-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Wiseco rings don't come pregapped. You need to gap them yourself, and to the power level you're aiming for. The gap will be relative to your power level. Like Edwin said, make sure the two top compression rings face up and are aligned in the correct sequence within the bore. Are you trying to get the stock wrist pins out or the wiseco's?

This video that Jeff Evans did on how to build a gsr engine may be helpful to you, check it out:
http://www.evans-tuning.com/videotec...ine_build.html

Last edited by andyman97; 07-04-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2008
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

honda says you should heat up the piston assembly and tap out the pin. I had luck just tapping it out at room temp with a punch. wrap it cloth and put it in a vice and tap it gently. Andy also brought up a good point. the new rings will not come gapped if they are aftermarket and will sometimes come with suggested ring gaps for your application. Not only do the rings need to face up, but they all need to be clocked correctly too. kinda over whelming isn't it? considering the fact that taking a motor apart is pretty much a no brainer.
Old 07-04-2008

More and more I'm leaning towards being a checkbook mechanic on this part of the build! I will be trying to get the Wiseco wrist pins out of the pistons because I don't care about the stockers. Maybe. I may just hand my engine block and box of parts to the shop and ask them to be gentle...

Last edited by speedfoos; 07-04-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2008
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

there are snap rings holding the pins in on the weisco's once you take out the snap rings the pins should come out pretty easily.
Old 07-04-2008

Thanks Bob. I saw the snap rings and hadn't pulled them off yet. Good to know.
Old 07-06-2008
Registered!!

7thgen_vic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Whatever it takes to reach 400whp on pump gas, Nick!

very nice.. very nice indeed.

Old 07-06-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by speedfoos
More and more I'm leaning towards being a checkbook mechanic on this part of the build! I will be trying to get the Wiseco wrist pins out of the pistons because I don't care about the stockers. Maybe. I may just hand my engine block and box of parts to the shop and ask them to be gentle...
You know, I had the same thoughts. The last complete engine rebuild I did was a 73 Chevy Vega (a long time ago). Recently though, I rebuilt a 5 HP Evinrude outboard and a Briggs 5HP pressure washer engine. Since I had a lot of money already invested in my D18 engine I didn't want to chance building it myself even though the Vega, Evinrude, and Briggs engines ran fine. My builder charged my $400 for the assembly. But don't let my lack of ***** discourage you.
Old 07-06-2008

Don't worry Carl, I won't. That's good to know the price your builder charged you though. I think I will have a hard time stomaching £400 though. Hopefully it won't be that much!

We're off to Ireland until Saturday, talk to you folks in a week!
Old 07-16-2008

Back from holiday. Backend of this site has gone to ****. Updates when it's fixed.
Old 07-16-2008
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

weeeeee! My favorite build thread is coming back!
Old 07-17-2008

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-17-2008
Registered!!

good to know that you're practicing bro!! GL with the wisecos!
Old 07-17-2008

They're going into the engine in about 45 minutes Jay!
Old 07-17-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

hah....Last time i checked you didn't need vasoline for an engine build....I bet you and the pooch did a little bit more than take a walk
Old 07-17-2008
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

ROFL... Engine build looks like its going pretty well. I hope you make some really big numbers!
Old 07-17-2008

****ing site. Have a big update and it won't go through.
Old 07-17-2008

**** on it. Go here instead. Same thing. Better site.

http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/sho...t=5174&page=22
Old 07-17-2008
Premium Member

haha ya im about done over here.............................................. .......................... This site SUX *** NOW! Its so unreliable, unlike our Honda's haha.
Old 07-18-2008

Buh bye.

Old 07-18-2008

Buh bye.

Old 07-18-2008

Buh bye.

Old 07-18-2008

Re: Rebuild Time- Rotating Assembly Installed (Pg. 164) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread

Buh bye.

Old 07-18-2008
Registered!!

Re: Rebuild Time- Rotating Assembly Installed (Pg. 164) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread

Good luck with that bro!!
Old 07-18-2008

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Gonzo.