Gonzo. - Page 72 - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-29-2008   #2131
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Holy crap, he put it on a dyno! - (Vid on Pg. 136) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!

I'm with andyman^
Old 02-29-2008   #2132
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Holy crap, he put it on a dyno! - (Vid on Pg. 136) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!

Yeah, I'll probably do that when I get back from deployment. I've only got another 2 weeks of driving until July anyway. No sense ripping it all apart and then parking it for 90 days.
Old 03-05-2008   #2133
Registered!!

DaGriz will become famous soon enoughDaGriz will become famous soon enough

The "Foos" is pretty busy getting his **** all in one pile for his deployment. Talked to him yesterday and he still hasn't found the squeak/squeal in this engine.

Ask him how happy he is about that!!
Old 03-05-2008   #2134
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Foo's need to come on by the shop.....I'll have it figure'd out in a day...I won't even charge ya diagnosis
Old 03-05-2008   #2135

LOL - I'm semi-indifferent about it at this point. I'm going to the strip on Saturday to beat the **** out of it, so we'll see what happens!
Old 03-05-2008   #2136
Registered!!

There ya go....if it breaks then you know what the problem is......

P.S. > I always bring a trailer just in case when I go to the track heh I trust my car but not that much!
I haven't made it to the 1/4 yet (busy working on the 400whp+ SI, will post up build on friday w/ pic!)........doesn't open till late spring or summer!! It's an hour away too. Thats definitely a no go w/ my coolant push

Last edited by FoSho; 03-05-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2008   #2137
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

Hurry up Clint!!! LOL... We're all waiting for you to get back stateside!!
Old 03-05-2008   #2138

LOL - gotta adjust my valve lash again tonight, she's clattering like crazy. I'm not sure why but it seems to go out every 2-3 weeks on this head. I'm probably going to end up ditching this head when I get back to the states and transplant everything into a new head. Cuz I'm still getting coolant push.

So yeah. Basically the motor that is in the car is a paperweight with some nice parts glued on to it. Good thing D17 longblocks are cheap as dirt!

Gonna let the car cool down and then go out and re-do the lash on it.

Avery, what is this Si you're talking about? Yours?
Old 03-05-2008   #2139

Rod knock FTW!!!!

She was clattering today and I thought my valve lash went out of spec. Pulled her apart tonight, re-adjusted the lash (wasn't very far out), started her up and "clak-a-clak-a-clak-a-clak-a!" Guess I figured right on that squeak when I first diagnosed it.

Oh well. Rods are still enroute. I just need to jerk the pan off and see what bearings I need. I guess I'm installing the new gut in July!
Old 03-05-2008   #2140
Registered!!

Oh man clint..........that's horrible to hear......I guess we know have a guess as too how much the stock bottom end can hold.

The civic I was referring to is my Buddies 92 Civic Si w/ full ITR suspension,brakes,wheels etc.. We had the bottom end built and all bolts on pretty much. We have a badass ramhorn manifold & maxed out our stock drag t3/t4 @ 390whp at 17 psi.......car had soo much more potential...best we could pull was a 12.3 at the 1/4 screaming the tires half way down the track. We are pretty much untouchable in the streets.....it was a good build up! However last month it was knocking like you'res very bad...it still boosted just fine however.....

Baroscoped cylinders & found piston #2 complete cracked in 2 spots!!! Funny thing is it still had perfect compression!!!! Thats what I call a piston!!! So we completely ripped everything out motor, trans, interior.....everything!!! So here comes the 400+ whp monster build up. I'm dedicating a thread to it on friday. Still need to gets come pictures of it.....I only have a few video's of it when it was still running low 13's high 12's on 10 psi! The block held 25 psi @ one time on race gas....we did hit mid 400's that time....definitely not streetable though! All built by myself & buddy......jumping in that thing makes all the troubles of my car disappear...... gotta give props to [email protected] for the tune though!

nothing like hitting 21 psi in a car that weighs 2000 lbs screaming by a supercharged WS6 I could talk for days about this car....there's a pretty funny story that goes along w/ how we got the car....I'll include that in my write up hah

P.S. > I still can't believe the sound your car makes, Clint......I have never ever seen that...very strange! oh well, guess we learned from it?!

Last edited by FoSho; 03-05-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2008   #2141

Yeah, we knew how much the stock bottom could hold, this just re-affirms it. Gotta prove the limits every once in a while to make they are still accurate.

Oh well, no big deal. A few hours of labor and a couple hundred in parts and machine work and I'll be back to normal again. I'm not really torn up about it. This just means I don't have to buy a longblock when I get back to the states.

Question though. Where are the markings on the crank to match up with the ones on the block (on the girdle?) to find out which color bearings I need?

Oh and it's entirely possible that the noise and the rod knocking are still independent of each other!
Old 03-06-2008   #2142
Registered!!

Straight out of my manual........

NOTE:

Use the crank bore codes and crank journal codes to select the appropriate replacement bearing from the following table.

NOTE:

Color code is on the edge of the bearing.

When using bearing halves of different colors, it does not mater which color is used in the top or bottom.

****there is a chart to follow.....I'm having a hard time getting it off honda...will post up shortly****

Last edited by FoSho; 03-06-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2008   #2143
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by tfnaaf; 03-06-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2008   #2144
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

I very seriously doubt it was power that caused a rod bolt to spin, I'm willing to bet that it was an oil pressure issue more than anything.

As for bearing colors,
There are letter stamps on the cranks and number on the rods and behind the flywheel are letters for the mains.
Old 03-06-2008   #2145

Thanks Tom and Avery.

Think so on the oil pressure Andy? I watch that like a hawk and have never allowed the level to dip below a 1/4 quart low (still within the two dot safe zone) ever since the snail was bolted on.

Pan is coming off tonight. Pics later on.
Old 03-06-2008   #2146
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to keep in mind, Clint, the oil level and pressure are not the same. Just because you have enough oil in the engine does not mean you have enough pressure and vice versa.

That's why I warned you about driving the car at all with that leak. Leaks can be catastrophic on a boosted car. Justin came to my house with a massive leak after his motor install and I warned him not to drive any further until we found where the leak was coming from. He was lucky he didn't cause any damage. Any time you're losing oil at all, you're losing pressure. I even learned the hard way.
Old 03-06-2008   #2147

Right right. That's what I meant that I would watch that like while in the car on OP gauge. When she was leaking, I kept 2 quarts of oil in the car and checked it every day. That's not to say that didn't cause this problem of course, I'm sure it compounded with the other issues I was having.

But like you said, a lot of us learn the hard way. The good news is that I haven't sent a rod through the block and am in a position to fix this properly so it won't happen again.
Old 03-06-2008   #2148
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

well its good to hear that you finally found what the problem was clint. hope you can get it fix fast and back on the road!!
Old 03-06-2008   #2149
Turbo Guru

Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge?
Old 03-06-2008   #2150

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2008   #2151

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2008   #2152
Registered!!

DAMN!!! That sucks clint! But I gotta say you're mr. fix it. I'm telling ya if you want a job as a mechanic come see me when you get outta the army!!!

We'll just add this to library of car info..........bearings can make crazy noises! I showed my mechanics the squealing video and they said first time they had ever seen that aswell!!

Kinda wish you'd dropped the oil pan first huh?

Last edited by FoSho; 03-06-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2008   #2153

Yeah man, kind of wish I had. Although I wouldn't have dropped the girdle at that point though because the rods looked fine.

Avery, is there anyway you can tell me which part number for the bearing I have (marked DA-95 0103E)without me having to drop the tranny again since I didn't look at when I had the tranny off last weekend? I pulled up a picture and can read the first and last letters on the block if I zoom in, but not the middle one. I'm kicking myself right now for not looking at them!

LOL - mechanicking is only for fun! If I had to do it for a paycheck, I think it would quickly lose it's appeal!
Old 03-06-2008   #2154
Turbo Guru

Order 2 middle and 2 that are one size bigger. Make sure you plastigauge to spec.
Old 03-06-2008   #2155
Registered!!

^There you go.....and you're generally not supposed to plastigage while in the car....however honda suggests to support the crank w/ a jack to prevent an incorrect reading....here is what my honda book says......working on part #....VIN would help my guys (they're kinda old, haha)

Here ya go:
---------------------------------------------
Main Bearing Clearance Inspection
To check main bearing-to-journal oil clearance, remove the main caps and bearing halves.

Clean each main journal and bearing half with a clean shop towel.

Place one strip of plastigage across each main journal.

NOTE: If the engine is still in the car when you bolt the main cap down to check the clearance, the weight of the crankshaft and drive plate will flatten the plastigage further than just the torque on the cap bolt and give you an incorrect reading. For an accurate reading, support the crank with a jack under the counterweights, and check only one bearing at a time.

Reinstall the bearings and caps, then torque the bolts to 51 Nm (5.2 kgfm, 38 lbfft). Do not rotate the crankshaft.

Remove the cap and bearing half again, and measure the widest part of the plastigage.

Main Bearing-to-Journal Oil Clearance
Standard (New):

No. 1, 5:
0.018-0.036mm (0.0007-0.0014 in.)

No. 2, 3, 4:
0.024-0.042mm (0.0009-0.0017 in.)

Service Limit:
0.05 mm (0.002 in.)

If the plastigage measures too wide or too narrow, (remove the engine if it's still in the car), remove the crankshaft, and remove the upper half of the bearing. Install a new, complete bearing with the same color code, and recheck the clearance. Do not file, shim, or scrape the bearings or the caps to adjust clearance.

If the plastigage shows the clearance is still incorrect, try the next larger or smaller bearing (the color listed above or below that one), and check again. If the proper clearance cannot be obtained by using the appropriate larger or smaller bearings, replace the crankshaft and start over.
Old 03-06-2008   #2156

Bleh. I hate plastigage. That being said, Andy I don't understand what you mean. I see colors on Majestic's site and the chart that Avery and Tom posted up, but not sizes. All I want is to replace this spangled half of a main bearing so the car will make it another couple weeks. I know this is like "let's spoonfeed Clint so he can do a half-*** repair job on his motor", but she'll get done proper when I get back from deployment. I don't have time to **** with a complete rebuild right now. I go TDY to Germany all next week, then I come back and 8 days later I'm gone for 90 days. As usual, these things happen at inconvenient times.

Here's my VIN Avery, I'll pull it later so it's not posted here forever:

1HGEM21023L036698

It's the #3 main bearing, bottom half. I just want a the same size bearing that I have as it will be better than this worn one I've got sitting in front of me.

Last edited by speedfoos; 03-06-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2008   #2157

Or is there no way to tell without pulling the tranny? If so, she's coming out tomorrow night!
Old 03-06-2008   #2158

Re: FUBAR'd Main Bearing FTMFW!!! - (Pg. 144) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!!

OK, I'm headed to bed. Avery if you find out which color bearing I need, please post it up and I'll check it in the morning. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2008   #2159
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

the vin wont tell you anything about the journal or rod bearing sizes. you have to pull the trans, look at the block journal codes, then find journal codes stamped on the crank. then you'll cross reference them to find the right color. part number on the bearing doesnt mean anything from what ive learned.
Old 03-06-2008   #2160
Registered!!

DAMN!!! This stuff just might come in handy when i go thru my build... but i'll have a couple peeps around town not to mention clint will be in the states by the time i even get all of my things together.

Closed Thread