Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Gonzo.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Holy crap, he put it on a dyno! - (Vid on Pg. 136) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!

I'm just cheap. I could go the hobby shop and pay for lift time, but that's $5/hour and it's only open from 11-6 on Saturday and closed on Sunday. No thanks.
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Holy crap, he put it on a dyno! - (Vid on Pg. 136) - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!

Here at Ft. Riley up on post they have an auto garage open to the soliders.....you can use the lift, tools, jacks, whatever! We did my buddies Corolla GTS FX16 along time ago....ya know when they let civilians like me onto base.....not anymore

It was really cheap...took us like 4 days after work...I think it cost like 50 bucks for the week.
Old 02-21-2008

Yeah, we have an auto hobby shop here as well, it's just not as cheap. Full set of tools and a kickass argon-fed MIG welder. That's where I did my clutch and where I spend my weekends helping other folks with their cars. Their hours just suck. 11-6 Mon-Sat isn't very convenient.
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

FoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of lightFoSho is a glorious beacon of light

Damn.....yea it's open all day sat & sunday...or use to be Amry got the hook up!
Old 02-21-2008

That they do. There are worse things for an Army guy than being stationed at an AF base though. I guess I can't complain too much!
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by speedfoos
I'm just cheap. I could go the hobby shop and pay for lift time, but that's $5/hour and it's only open from 11-6 on Saturday and closed on Sunday. No thanks.
Your not cheap speedfoos you just have your priorities set straight because Beer > Lift Time.
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah our transmissions FTL!
If you need any help you can just pm and I can probably write/talk your way through the whole thing I have had mine apart twice

it's pretty easy once you get the trans out the 3 biggest things I have found that you run into is

1. trying to get the case open it can be a b**** to get that seal to crack sometimes takes like 10 to 20mins

2. there is a keyed ring that sit up near the top of the tallest/longest shaft that needs to line up with the case other wise you lose reverse, and if you break that ring well let's just say that it took me over two months to get that piece from honda

3. and don't forget to put the magnet back in make sure it doesn't flip out when putting the case back together

with the amount of work you have already done on your car it should be a walk in the park
Old 02-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

VERY good pointers rite there^^^

rep for you!
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

i think if you keep doing diys foos (as i am sure you will document your progress with the tranny), we will eventually be able to print this thread off the internet and use as a repair manual for the 7thgen. we can call it the foos manual.
Old 02-22-2008

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

DaGriz will become famous soon enoughDaGriz will become famous soon enough

Noise inside an engine is easily transferred so pinpointing the source is tough I suggest you check your oil pump. You might also use a long screwdriver as a stethescope on the pan in several places and on the block. Try to pin point the sound as close as you can. It you partially spun a rod or mainbearing the noise could transfer through the whole block
The main shaft in the tranny does spin, I believe; when the trany is not in any gear. Use you screwdriver to listen in several places on the tranny case also.

Last edited by DaGriz; 02-22-2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Lousy spelling
Old 02-22-2008

Thanks Dad!

I used a big pry bar on my ear on mutliple points on the top and sides of both the block and the tranny and the noise did not transfer like it did from underneath. Once I get underneath the car I'll have a listen to different points underneath it as well.

Been thinking about the oil pump. It's in the right place - opposite end of the crank from the pulleys - but I don't think it's a rotational style pump like a water pump is. I think it's a tappet type like the old cam-driven fuel pumps. So I don't know if that's a likely culprit or not. It could be from a location and temperature/viscosity standpoint, but not so much from a mechanical noise standpoint. Dunno. Still thinkin'. I'm pretty sure I have to pull the tranny to get at it though.

Checking Mitchell's right now to see some diagrams of it.
Old 02-22-2008

Buh bye.

Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

Well.....I think you can rule out any bottom end noise....I have seen probably 20-30 cars pop the bottom ends. I have seen what they do, the complaints, how they behave before going.....I have never seen one do that. If you got a problem down there it's gonna be present all the time.....RPM is not going eliminate it but make it worse.

The transmission shafts do rotate......they can make noise, clutch in,clutch out, nuetral....doesn't matter....if engine is running power is transfered......
If you have eliminated the belt,pulley,drive area I would believe transmission.
Trust me...I've seen our transmissions make some cool noises

You need to get it on a lift....run the vehicle in the air and go to town. Thats how we start with noises....Lift time baby!

I may start w/ a transmission flush....see what that fluid looks like. If ya got metal shavings...BINGO!
I would also pull the oil pan to eliminate the bottom end. If you have a bearing out or going chances are the area is gonna be burnt & black....if you pull the pan & those internals....especially the caps look very dark or one in paticuliar looks burnt/black.....that would be you're issue......

I'll have my mechanics listen to the video after lunch....They're kind busy saving a h22 right now Car lost 4 valve stem keepers!!!!! One valve was hanging in just because the retainer & spring were cockeyed!

Last edited by FoSho; 02-22-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future

yo ******...next time you want **** sent out. DO NOT GO THROUGH USPS. THEY SUCK ***. EITHER FEDEX OR UPS.
Old 02-22-2008

USPS is my only option over here Steve. UPS and FEDEX cost close to $100 to ship anything over to me. Such is life.

Alright FoSho, you've convinced me. I'll go put it on the lift now and see what I can hear. Disassembly will still be on my back in my garage though! I'll post my audible findings later.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

USPS is not that bad. They're tracking info sucks but they are pretty damn efficient and if you want goods to ship faster spend the money on parcel post instead of priority mail.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future

well i blame clint..lol id rather not usps. maybe if the ghetto mail bitch would have left a note saying there is a package for you, instead of having to call and find it. fedex/ups > usps. never had a problem til clint made the choice..lol

i hope you figure out what the deal is with the car. i hope its just the clutch or something minor. maybe your luck will change once you get to NC.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

If ya think about it. That clutch is gonna be toast soon anyways....the power you want is gonna need more bite
Old 02-22-2008

Buh bye.

Old 02-22-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Clint, I would strongly advise an action clutch. Its tested and true. All of my close friends with Hondas in Colorado used them and I picked one up in my first turbo setup and am still running the same clutch and pressure plate over 4 years later with all of the abuse I've put it through....
Old 02-22-2008

Action clutch huh? Thanks for the recommendation Andy, gotta be decent if it's still running on your setup. You running a stock FW too? Off to Google!
Old 02-22-2008
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, its a stock flywheel for now. New action flywheel is sitting in the garage with a new clutch and pressure plate. Check honda-tech, there's a guy on there that sells them, pretty reasonable prices. With the power you're looking for, I'd recommend unsprung to sprung. These clutches are tight but they aren't that bad.
Old 02-22-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

get a sprung hub
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

Don't noises just frustrate the **** out of you? I'm still fighting a judder on downshift......all brand new motor mounts, new transmission, new clutch, new pilot, new throwout, new flywheel, new axles, even removed the vibration dampeners on the subframe. Have even have subframe realigned 3 times!!!! Noise is still present intermittent................!JJhjsdsjkldhOUASDGAUo

I just turn the radio up!!!!!! So, don't feel too bad...I'm highly trained(haha!) & I still can't figure it out. Even my 100+ years experience in techs can't figure it out!

I had the beefed up stage 3or4(i forget) competition clutch...I absolutely loved that clutch! It was just a little too much bite for my transmission to handle.

Last edited by FoSho; 02-22-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2008

This noise will get fixed one way or the other. It's one of those people-turn-their-heads-and-look kind of squeals so that's not something I want to deal with. You get around to installing the evac system? Mine is working like a charm, no smoke at all.

Garage is cleaned up and ready for a weekend of wrenching. I really really hope it's the starter as I really don't want to pull the tranny. Especially since I will be using a broom handle clutch alignment tool as I can't find my normal one. Good times.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Clint if you have to drop the sub frame grab a sharpie and mark the position of the alignment bolts so when you put it back together you don't have to go get it re-alined but hopefully it won't come down to that.

It might possibly be the input shaft bearing because that spins regardless of whether the transmission is in gear or not; mine makes a growling and whining noise. also if the starter is not bolted all the way down tight it makes a weird squealing noise.

Sorry to Thread jack but FoSHo this might sound like a dumb idea but try bleeding the clutch line, some times air or water magically gets its way in there and it can sometimes it will give an effect that the clutch doesn't want to engage smoothly and it can cause the car to shutter a bit.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

I would tend to guess its an input bearing shaft on the tranny by the sounds of things. Its not uncommon for bearings to squeal when they are shot. The other thing to check is your free clutch pedal play and that the fork is lubed and functioning porperly. Make sure there is some free pedal or the throwout bearing will not completely disengage from the pressure plate and will cause a major problem if it seizes because its constantly working its *** off. I saw the aftermath an all motor H22 rip a transmission to pieces because the TOB got so hot it welded itself to the input shaft and clutch fork. It shattered the trans case and sheared the the flywheel right off the crank, all that was left was the hub and the bolts.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light02fpcivic is a glorious beacon of light

PS my trans has made a "loose crunchy floating metal" sound when making a hard LH turn in first or second for quite some time. I can't feel anything binding but I'll be shopping for a new trans for the spring. Making good power with stock honda transmissions is pretty much a safe bet on needing a trans every now and then. Too bad there werent some realistic options for cases/gear sets, etc. Cryo treating parts probably wont do much if the case flexes either.
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

^^ damm thats crazy with the H22!!!

The trans case I think felxes a lot when I pulled mine out the case was covered with spider cracks it looked as if I had dropped the case like a foot it would shatter into a million pieces like peice of china.

It is a real shame that no one makes an uprated transmission for our cars (hint, hint, cough, cough......vendors)

Quick Reply: Gonzo.