Photography & Videography Post your shots and ask your questions here.

new photography thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
10-20mm super wide? Hell yes! it's pretty expensive though..last time I checked was like 500 bucks
haha i wish it was $500. the canon ef-s 10-22mm is a $700 lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old 05-18-2006
Words on a User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say save up and buy a 350D/Digital Rebel XT, disk. You won't regret it. And I don't even have one!

I've been reading... read a comparisson of a 350D with a good lens or a 20D with a cheaper lens and it seems that it's not really the camera which makes pictures look better, but the glass. I didn't know that. Of course, having an upper camera lets you have more ability, but if you compare pictures (a'la infinite) with the same shot, different camera, different glass, same settings... the normal thing to happen is to have better pictures with the best glass, not the best camera.

Originally Posted by infinite012
haha i wish it was $500. the canon ef-s 10-22mm is a $700 lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
$575?
http://stores.nextag.com/Wisetronics...oduct=65620239

Thanks for that B&H link, though. Hadn't seen that store before.

Is the Cannon 10D any good? How much time does it have on market?

Last edited by ramcosca; 05-18-2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2006

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
the canon 10d has been discontinued for a while. it was the predecessor to the canon 20d, which has also been discontinued in favor of the canon 30d. the 10d has a 6.1mp sensor (i think?) and uses only EF mount lenses. EF-S mount will not work because there is a chance the rear element of the lens will hit the mirror when it slaps up.

i only have 3 lenses. the kit lens (****, but works...for now), 50mm f/1.8 II (very cheap, but very sharp and colorful), and the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (most expensive lens in my bag, also heaviest).

wisetronics' resellerrating: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller10721.html
if you don't want to click on that link, they are rated at 0.73 customer satisfaction for 6-months. i'll never buy from there.

Last edited by infinite012; 05-18-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by infinite012
the canon 10d has been discontinued for a while. it was the predecessor to the canon 20d, which has also been discontinued in favor of the canon 30d. the 10d has a 6.1mp sensor (i think?) and uses only EF mount lenses. EF-S mount will not work because there is a chance the rear element of the lens will hit the mirror when it slaps up.

i only have 3 lenses. the kit lens (****, but works...for now), 50mm f/1.8 II (very cheap, but very sharp and colorful), and the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (most expensive lens in my bag, also heaviest).

wisetronics' resellerrating: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller10721.html
if you don't want to click on that link, they are rated at 0.73 customer satisfaction for 6-months. i'll never buy from there.
Ah, I see. SO the 30D is the... let's say, new 10D model, then?
What's the difference between the EF and EF-s mount lenses?
Is Sigma really good? How's the quality?
And about Wisetronics... my bad, didn't really think about that when I searched. Sill stick ot B&H, Adorama and such.
Old 05-18-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the comments.

I am either going to save up and get soemthing like you recommended, or just get a cheap (~$300) point and shoot 8 MP camera. Casio's new 8.1 is extremly good value for money, so I may end up getting that. I have a 5.1 Casio and it's perfect. I just want a little higher resolution.
Thanks though. Ill look into it more during the summer when I will actually start making money.
Old 05-18-2006
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
The Canon 30D is a 8.2 mp camera vs the 6.3mp of the Canon 10d.

EF stands for Electro-Focus. All Canon EOS cameras will accept EF lenses, but like infinite said, there is a chance the rear element will hit the mirror. The EF-S lenses have a smaller image circle and are unsuitable for all of Canon's EOS film SLRs and the professional digital SLRs (such as 1D, 1D Mark II, 1Ds, 1Ds Mark II, D6000, D2000, DCS1, DCS3). EF-S lenses exist mainly to bring wide-angle photography to entry and mid level Canon digital SLR users that is otherwise unavailable due to their 1.6x sensor size ratio.
Old 05-18-2006
Words on a User Title

Originally Posted by drew22mader

EF stands for Electro-Focus. All Canon EOS cameras will accept EF lenses, but like infinite said, there is a chance the rear element will hit the mirror. The EF-S lenses have a smaller image circle and are unsuitable for all of Canon's EOS film SLRs and the professional digital SLRs (such as 1D, 1D Mark II, 1Ds, 1Ds Mark II, D6000, D2000, DCS1, DCS3). EF-S lenses exist mainly to bring wide-angle photography to entry and mid level Canon digital SLR users that is otherwise unavailable due to their 1.6x sensor size ratio.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining! One question... what does that on bold mean? Haha... I'm a noob.
Old 05-18-2006

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
Ramcosca, i believe its the size of the sensor in the camera. Most digital SLR's haev either a 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor (compare to 35mm film), although some high end model actually ahve a digital sensor which has the same area as 35mm. Sensor size labels given inches do no reflect the actual diagonal size, but instead reflect the approximate diameter of the "imaging circle"
Old 05-18-2006
Tighter than a third eye after 1 week in prison.

Caucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the rough

good copy and paste technique
Old 05-18-2006

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=drew22mader]Most digital SLR's haev either a 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor (compare to 35mm film), although some high end model actually ahve a digital sensor which has the same area as 35mm.[QUOTE]

Isn't Canon the only one that currently has this feature?

Ramrosca, there's pros and cons with the crop factor. You'll like it while using a telephoto lens since it will magnify your distance a lot more, like my Nikor 100-300 becomes around 180-400mm. A really good zoom, but you will probably hate it when taking closer pics, like of our cars..you have to get kinda far from the subject to get the whole thing.

Here's a sample..

Basically with a D-SLR you'll only be able to see within the yellow

Last edited by cubanmike26; 05-18-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2006

Originally Posted by Caucasian.Asian
good copy and paste technique
lol, i thought someone would like that. But hey, helps him out though.
Old 05-18-2006
Words on a User Title

Yes, yes, yes, very much! I'm learning way too much! Which is good! I am planning on buying a 350D and want to know if I'm doing the right thing or not and if yes, I wanna learn the most I can before I even have it. Thanks Drew, Mike, and infinite!

BTW, you can call me Raúl, easier than writing down ramcosca... heh.
Old 05-19-2006
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kirks04ex
nice...how do you like the battery grip?
Very nice accessory, I haven't got the hang of using it yet, but it's nice to have, especially the extra shutter button.

Originally Posted by diskreet
Thanks for the comments.

I am either going to save up and get soemthing like you recommended, or just get a cheap (~$300) point and shoot 8 MP camera. Casio's new 8.1 is extremly good value for money, so I may end up getting that. I have a 5.1 Casio and it's perfect. I just want a little higher resolution.
Thanks though. Ill look into it more during the summer when I will actually start making money.
Why are you so intent on getting a camera with a higher MP? Resolution only comes into play when printing pics, picture quality and camera res are mutually exclusive. Go for a camera with super high quality, not one with high res.

Infinite, how much did you pay for your 50mm lens?

I need to start saving for a couple good lenses, I'm not sure what I want to get yet. I REALLY want the EF-S 10-22, but damn it's so much

Last edited by MegaHurtz; 05-19-2006 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-19-2006

$85 shipped. i overpaid lol
Old 05-19-2006
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Damn, that's cheap for a lens, where did you get it??
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i thought this thread was for posting photos....

weird..........

wheres a MOD when you need one??? i wonder.....................
Old 05-19-2006
Banned

Geez, mods on this site are whack, they never do anything
Old 05-19-2006

Megahurtz, i paid $70 shipped for my 50mm lens, thats about what they are going for right now. its the F/1.8 just like Infinite, if you get the F/1.4 then you're going to pay $300+ for it. So the 50mm F/1.8 is definatly a great buy.

Last edited by drew22mader; 05-19-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2006
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
Megahurtz, i paid $70 shipped for my 50mm lens, thats about what they are going for right now. its the F1/8 just like Infinite, if you get the L glass F1/4 then you're going to pay $350+ for it. So the 50 F1/8 is definatly a great buy.
the 1.4 isnt a "L" lens with the current rebate they have they are $290 + shipping for BH...but the 1.8 is def better bang for your buck
Old 05-19-2006

Thanks Kirk i just assumed i guess. Oh yea its not $290 its 289.95 get it right!! lol jk. Definatly get the F/1.8
Old 05-19-2006

actually, i kind of wish i got the 85 f/1.2L
Old 05-20-2006
Banned

A few shots of mine from today... basically still trying to get the hang of the EOS 20d. Went out and shot about 175 shots on different settings, then tried a number of different adjustments in photoshop to see what I could come up with. The end result is not bad I think.

1/40, f/4.5

1/25, f/10

1/30, f/10

1/25, f/10

1/50, f/3.5

1/100, f/5.6

1/125, f/5.6

Last edited by MegaHurtz; 05-20-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2006
Premium Member

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
nice pics, a co-worker has the same camera i think but hes a major noob. your dog looks like you sprayed it NHBP lol
Old 05-21-2006

didn't get to shoot too much today. my cousin and i were planning on going to georgetown (cooler part of the dc metro area), but ended up spending too much time at the tyson's TGIFridays. anyways, hope you like these edits. i need another car to shoot lol :shhh:

equipment:
canon rebel xt
canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II (kit lens)
canon 50mm f/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
awesome freaking tripod
canon remote shutter

kit lens + tripod:

50 + tripod:

kit lens, handheld at 1/8sec shutter (no lie):

kit lens, handheld at 1/5 sec shutter (also not a lie):
Old 05-21-2006
Banned

Here's a few from some shooting I did last night... I'm getting better I think

Old 05-22-2006

Old 05-22-2006
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
shaved? did you do that recently?
Old 05-22-2006

Yea i done it yesterday, got bored so i finally decided to. Took about an hour cause the 2 sides tape was being a bitch and wouldn't come off the car. So it took forever with a hair dryer and rubbing alchol, after i got it all off, i buffed it, polished it, put some show car glaze then wax to protect.
Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
some more i finshed editing

Old 05-22-2006

DJ the top one is very nice, the way you shot it and cropped it works very nice, almost looks like Kate Hudson, the bottom one seems a little too soft and kinda reminds me of a mug shot the way she looks. lol, but definatly some talent though man. Good work.

Quick Reply: new photography thread