Photography & Videography Post your shots and ask your questions here.

new photography thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by infinite012
it's called an aperture . if you have a large aperture (lower f-number), your subject will be more isolated from the background. if you have a small aperture (higher f-number), your background will come more in focus with the subject, but it will never all be in focus. if you are trying to take a picture of a vast expanse/field, then you will either have to use a very high f-number and a super long shutter speed, or get a tilt-shift lens and tilt the lens downward so that the plane of focus is perpendicular to the sensor (i think that's right?). in any case, with an slr camera, you will have to use a very small aperture to get the background to come in focus.
Thanks Infinite, that's what my old man was telling me..the f/stop number.
I'll try next time adjusting the F/stop... still debating on which is the best mode to shoot. I usually have it on P..not sure on other cams, I'd imagine is the same, but on this one it chooses A & SP for you. Down side is they can't be adjusted individually so I guess I'd have to shoot on M to do what you suggest.

FL flora & fauna..
JPEG for now

hello!

staring falcon

this fellow behaved pretty good, even though I got pretty close to him

Old 04-24-2006
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
that last shot is freaking amazing! i would send that in to a reptile magazine or something.

here's one from the party our organization held last night (or two nights ago if you want to be 100% correct...). 4/22/06:

Last edited by infinite012; 04-24-2006 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-24-2006

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Infinite, the last one is my favorite too..

Looks like yall had a great time at that party!
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light
yea mike, that last pic came out pretty guud mang
Old 04-24-2006

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
the hairy girl did hahaha
Old 04-24-2006
Tighter than a third eye after 1 week in prison.

Caucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the rough
photoshoot for MAC make-up artist...
Old 04-24-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cubanmike26

This pic is not the best example, but when shooting close ups sometimes the foreground is focused and the background out of focuse and vise versa. Most likely I'm doing something wrong, but after trying many set ups, I can't seem to get a whole close up pic focused..like when having subjects in a close up at diferent distances..

try focusing more toward the middle of the plants in the picture so the really close and really far are not so out of focus. As it is in that pic you are focused on the really close plants only, so the out of focus plants really can be seen as such.
Old 04-25-2006
Registered!!

02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ not sure if its just me but he is not in full focus, may have moved a little bit, however, what he is focused on is more the middle of the picture... myabe my eyes are going nuts? it is a hard color to tell though.

Originally Posted by Caucasian.Asian

Would have been a beeter shot if she was closer? she's a make up artist right? other than that, the pic looks great, i must say! great colors and guud lighting.

Last edited by 02civic_rida; 04-25-2006 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-25-2006

Caucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the roughCaucasian.Asian is a jewel in the rough
she isn't the make up artist, her friend is.
i was helping her start a portfolio but i wanted pictures for myself as well.
so i do have up close photos also.
i put a couple on my myspace
http://blog.myspace.com/7435689
Old 04-25-2006

a reflector and/or a fill flash would have worked wonders in that picture.
Old 04-25-2006

Originally Posted by infinite012
a reflector and/or a fill flash would have worked wonders in that picture.
yeah, i guess. this was my first photoshoot with a person, so that being said, i think they came out great.
Old 04-25-2006

Originally Posted by diskreet
try focusing more toward the middle of the plants in the picture so the really close and really far are not so out of focus. As it is in that pic you are focused on the really close plants only, so the out of focus plants really can be seen as such.
Diskreet, I tried that too, but even after focusing on diferent spots I could never get the whole pic focused which is what I was trying to attain, but I didn't have my tripod either so..could have been that too.
Old 04-25-2006

Old 04-25-2006

Enigma! what's that?! lol

Looks cool with all the shadows..6 in total?
Old 04-25-2006

it is a security camera on a wall. did you just call me enigma? hahah
Old 04-25-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
this is what I meant
Old 04-25-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
I was browsing eBay, dreaming about the camera I'll buy when I get my job and found some interesting things. Since I know you guys here know more than I do, which of these packages is better: Package 1 or package 2? Should I buy the camera as the kit or the body only? (Considering I buy a package like the previous ones posted, which includes two lenses). As for color, I really don't care. It's the same crap inside.

I'm not in a hurry, I just want to know what you guys think. I want to make myself clear before I eventually buy, therefore making the shopping process easier.

Also, another question. In technicaly terms, the 20D is better than the 350D/Digital Rebel XT. Is it really worth the difference?

Thanks!

Last edited by ramcosca; 04-25-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-25-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
all i know is I'm going to kill you if you don't stop using the upsized lettering....
Old 04-25-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, done. Donno what happened there.
Old 04-26-2006

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ramcosca
Sorry, done. Donno what happened there.
lol it's all good man hehe jsut wanted to put the fear of me into you hehehe.....
Old 04-26-2006

Old 04-26-2006

I'm contradicting myself but

PIITB
cheescake factory brownie sandwich post intake

Last edited by shroomster; 04-26-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2006

??????
Old 04-26-2006
Registered!!

beegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura about
Neat picture...what city
Old 04-26-2006

Originally Posted by beegwally
Neat picture...what city
are you asking about the brownie pic?

if you are, something tells me you are not, then it would be Orlando, Florida
Old 04-26-2006
Registered!!

ruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to all

wow that is a beautiful backround, i heard infinite02 saying "a reflector and/or a fill flash would have worked wonders in that picture."

were you talking about this picture? When is it ok or better to use flash?
Old 04-26-2006

Originally Posted by ramcosca
I was browsing eBay, dreaming about the camera I'll buy when I get my job and found some interesting things. Since I know you guys here know more than I do, which of these packages is better: Package 1 or package 2? Should I buy the camera as the kit or the body only? (Considering I buy a package like the previous ones posted, which includes two lenses). As for color, I really don't care. It's the same crap inside.

I'm not in a hurry, I just want to know what you guys think. I want to make myself clear before I eventually buy, therefore making the shopping process easier.

Also, another question. In technicaly terms, the 20D is better than the 350D/Digital Rebel XT. Is it really worth the difference?

Thanks!
if i had to choose between the two you posted, i would go for the one with the Lexar 80x 4GB CF card. the lenses in either kit are sub-par (kit lens is alright, but you really have to stop down the lens [bigger numerical f-stop] in order to get some decent sharpness; the canon 75-300 isn't phenominal either, but it's a good consumer zoom up to 200mm; the tamron kit is cheap).

and i would say that the 20d is worth the extra money, but don't jump into this money pit without knowing at least a little bit about what you're getting yourself into.

ruffryde009: yes i was talking about that picture. i said that because there are some dark areas on the subject that could've been better featured if the photographer were to use a flash or reflector to reflect the sun towards the subject. when is it better to use a flash? every time you shoot.

Last edited by infinite012; 04-26-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2006
Registered!!

ruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to allruffryde009 is a name known to all
i love these pictures. Does anyone have an idea on how to get ambient color in different colors? for example.

Last edited by ruffryde009; 04-27-2006 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-28-2006

photoshop.
Old 04-28-2006
Registered!!

^^^lol

yes, u can go to selective color, or color balance are two that i use.

Quick Reply: new photography thread