Photography & Videography Post your shots and ask your questions here.

new photography thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
just screwing around at my aunt and uncle's anniversary party

Old 06-27-2006
Words on a User Title

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stephenb80
whenever you photograph people, you want a nice background that doesn't take away from the person. something simple and contrasting. and always always take the pic looking straight in their eyes. don't take it too far away either.
Thank you. I'll keep those in mind.
Originally Posted by Excal
hey does that have a panoramic setting on it?
^o) 90% sure it's a no.

Panoramic is like those wide, wide, wide pictures, right? [quote=pbfoot]i think the best person to ask for advice in this sort of matter would be jane goodall...shes done that sort of work before.

Uncalled for.

Last edited by robbclark1; 06-27-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2006

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ramcosca
Thank you. I'll keep those in mind.^o) 90% sure it's a no.

Panoramic is like those wide, wide, wide pictures, right? Uncalled for.
Not necessarily, my small Nikon coolpix is only 2.0 megapixels and it has a panoramic feature. It won't shoot like a wide, wide angle, but it helps.

Last edited by cubanmike26; 06-27-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
Not necessarily, my small Nikon coolpix is only 2.0 megapixels and it has a panoramic feature.
Uh, ok. But I'm just saying that I'm quite sure my slightly bigger 4.0 megapixel Sony doesn't have a panoramic feature.
Old 06-27-2006
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
even if it doesnt have a panorama feature, you can easily stitch images together in photoshop or some stitching program. just set the camera on a tripod and rotate the camera a few degrees after you make a shot.
Old 06-27-2006
There is gl@ss in my @SS...

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
I think people are taking the panoramic thing too serious. Someone told me that it was a joke just like the animal picture thing. Think about it for a min.
Old 06-27-2006
Words on a User Title

Originally Posted by infinite012
even if it doesnt have a panorama feature, you can easily stitch images together in photoshop or some stitching program. just set the camera on a tripod and rotate the camera a few degrees after you make a shot.
Now that I got my very own tripod, I was thinking about doing just this thing. Might give it a try out this weekend and see what happens.

Originally Posted by drew22mader
I think people are taking the panoramic thing too serious. Someone told me that it was a joke just like the animal picture thing. Think about it for a min.
Best thing that's been said in this page. Thanks.

Last edited by ramcosca; 06-27-2006 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-27-2006
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by drew22mader
drew is on top of things tonight...i get it now
Old 06-28-2006

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
i'm also a little on the slow side.....
Old 06-28-2006
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
infinite...what setting would you reccomend using for in-car night shots? i saw some on your page...and i saw the exif data and all...did you just mess around with settings or did you have some sort of starting point?
Old 06-28-2006
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
having a snack w/ a surprise visitor...lol (cell cam)

i gotta say, this is definitely a first. ladybug in my grapes. haha i know theyre good luck, but this is rediculous! i better go buy a lottery ticket today. hahaha
Old 06-28-2006

Originally Posted by kirks04ex
infinite...what setting would you reccomend using for in-car night shots? i saw some on your page...and i saw the exif data and all...did you just mess around with settings or did you have some sort of starting point?
neutral density filters are your best friend when taking in-car DAY shots. in-car night shots are harder because you have to combat super long shutter speeds. for night shots, make sure you have a heavy tripod strapped down to the car in the rear seat. if you don't have a rear seat, work something out. use mirror lock up (custom function in EOS digital cameras) and a remote shutter release.
Old 06-28-2006
Premium Member

we have a pillar/harness bar that runs straight across the back seats with a tripod head on it...so im thinking that will be secure enough. and what is the mirror lockup?
Old 06-28-2006

it's a custom function that allows the mirror to slap up on the first shutter press, and on the second shutter press the camera takes the picture. this reduces camera shake, which fuzzes up pictures even in broad daylight with super fast shutter times (1/2000, 1/4000 etc)
Old 06-28-2006
Premium Member

so when using mirror lock up do you push the shutter twice and basically control ur own shutter speed with the remote shutter release?
Old 06-28-2006

you could if you put the camera in "bulb" mode. otherwise, it's just the same as pressing the shutter once.
Old 07-01-2006
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
Mirror lockup is just a 2 step process to exposing the picture, to help get sharper shots by reducing the shock that occurs when the mirror slaps up. When you press the shutter button for the second time, that is when the exposure happens, the same as it normally would, using whatever settings you are using, but the mirror is already up when this happens. It's pretty simple really, just enable it on your camera and try it out and you'll see how it works, I've just started using it recently myself.
Old 07-01-2006

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
^^that's cool, I wonder if it could be done with Nikon too..

Last edited by cubanmike26; 07-01-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2006

South FL is very humid. When ever I take my camera out of the house the lens keeps fogging up. I can dry the outer parts of the lens with a cleaning cloth, but what happens when it fogs up on the inside? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Old 07-08-2006

condensation ftl.

put the camera in a zip lock bag when transporting it from outside to inside or inside to outside. allow the camera to equalize (?) with the humidity for about 30 minutes. it should be safe to take the camera out after 30-45 minutes.
Old 07-08-2006
Premium Member

Originally Posted by dirtySAMURAI
condensation ftl.

put the camera in a zip lock bag when transporting it from outside to inside or inside to outside. allow the camera to equalize (?) with the humidity for about 30 minutes. it should be safe to take the camera out after 30-45 minutes.
i dont understand...that is really an issue?
Old 07-08-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
obviously it is for some people.

maybe it has a lot to do with lens construction too

cubanmike26, you've inspired me to take a few shots of some of my statues
Can't decide which one I like more.
(I know the sword's shadow is in the background, not to mention the edge of a snowboard, a bookshelf, and a speaker)

Viva Ferrari!

The Living Stone collection is absolutly beautiful in real life. Maybe ill take a pic of all of them one day. Too bad they don't make them anymore. And yeah, the wolf is my favorite animal.

Last edited by diskreet; 07-08-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2006

i dont understand...that is really an issue?
yes. it's a huge issue if your camera and lenses are not weather sealed (canon L lenses, for the most part, are weather sealed - note: this does not mean they can be taken underwater without any underwater casing. your **** will die). if you get condensation inside your lens, you will more than likely notice mold growing on the inside of your lens after a few months (sometimes takes a few years to notice). we wouldnt want that to happen to a $500+ lens, right?
Old 07-08-2006

Thanks Infinite. It sucks that's this is happening to my brand new lens man. I'll see if I can get some pockets of silica gel as well to help dehumidify the whole thing.

Nice collection you have there Diskreet. By the way is that a wolverine the wolve is looking at? I like how the statues almost come out to life.
Old 07-08-2006

That one statue you are talking about, I haveno idea. Its titled "The stand off". Thats all I can tell. I don't know what animal it is though.
And thanks, I really love the statues. When I did gymnastics, and I did well at a big competition, those are what I got as a reward. I love them so much, more than any of my actual medals or trophies (cause wolves rock too)
Old 07-09-2006
Premium Member

Originally Posted by dirtySAMURAI
yes. it's a huge issue if your camera and lenses are not weather sealed (canon L lenses, for the most part, are weather sealed - note: this does not mean they can be taken underwater without any underwater casing. your **** will die). if you get condensation inside your lens, you will more than likely notice mold growing on the inside of your lens after a few months (sometimes takes a few years to notice). we wouldnt want that to happen to a $500+ lens, right?
dont have any $500+ lenses yet..but when should i worry about condensation and how do i avoid it?
Old 07-09-2006

drew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond reputedrew22mader has a reputation beyond repute
Don't go to Florida! lol
Old 07-09-2006

dont have any $500+ lenses yet..but when should i worry about condensation and how do i avoid it?
whenever you move your equipment from an air conditioned area to an open air area. if you live in an area with any humidity at all, you should worry.

but dont let humidity stop you from taking pictures. sometimes it can actually help your shot.
Old 07-14-2006

Maybe some here know about it. Just in case, here's a great website with some awesome info on general photography.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Last edited by cubanmike26; 07-14-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2006

just got to www.photography-on-the.net for the Canon Forum, so many people and info there.

Quick Reply: new photography thread