View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Running hot at idle. Bad water pump?

Originally Posted by ezone
Guess we should add it to the list of "THOU SHALT NEVER"
I rest my case
Thank you for your support
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

was your gates pump like this? this is from a pt cruiser(yea i had a PT). most people use airtex or mopar parts, which have stamped steel or plastic impellers. the gates pumps that were failing had cast iron impellers.

can you post a pic of yours? i'm very interested to see how it failed.

Last edited by RobertD; 08-07-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RobertD
was your gates pump like this? this is from a pt cruiser(yea i had a PT). most people use airtex or mopar parts, which have stamped steel or plastic impellers. the gates pumps that were failing had cast iron impellers.

can you post a pic of yours? i'm very interested to see how it failed.
That's exactly how my water pump failed. I don't have the old one anymore because I turned it in for a core charge at Napa when I bought a temporary pump until the OEM one came, but that's exactly how it failed.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Can these gauges work?

But don't these gauges look sick?
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

wiring diagram for both old and new and start re-pining if you need to.... sounds like fun! lol
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
wiring diagram for both old and new and start re-pining if you need to.... sounds like fun! lol
I can't find a Honda Stream wiring diagram. That's the problem.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Well the stream is based on the civic, you could just see if the connectors are the same and try to connect it to see what happens. But then you risk frying something so.... yea.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Well the stream is based on the civic, you could just see if the connectors are the same and try to connect it to see what happens. But then you risk frying something so.... yea.
The Civic and Stream do share a lot of parts. My PCM and engine harness is from an RN1 Honda Stream.
Old 08-07-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Those do look cool. You might to be a pioneer on this one.

Maybe someone on a Japan based forum can hook you up with wiring info.
Old 08-07-2018
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
?????
This just further hits home why OEM parts are always recommended. Honda has built a reputation of reliability and this is not from using junk parts. Gates makes the timing belt but those are different then water pumps.

Originally Posted by RobertD
(yea i had a PT)
Lmao, I would have never guessed that. I don't even know if they were decent cars but I have heard them be referred to as PT Losers . I saw a lot during my high school years.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

,.., double post

Last edited by RobertD; 08-07-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

I paid $250 for it with 176k miles. I beat the HELL out of it and finally parked it at 276,000 miles. I mean powershift at least once daily and sometimes ripping the shift **** off. Twice i threw the **** into the hatch area yanking it into second. A Civic trans takes that abuse for 2-3 months. This beater was still fine after 100k miles or so. I had the base model. One can pick up a GT version for $1500 because they have terrible resale value.. it's the same engine as an srt neon but with a stronger trans. One friend has one gutted like a tin can. With the stock turbo, just a tune, slicks, and a 50 shot he's running 11's. I have a soft spot for them now. Even the forum is funny. It's old guys that more or less like the style but out grew the need for speed. Like real car guys from the 60's and 70's. They add louvers, used to own hot rod shops, race supergas, it's weird. For a car I did not like and had no interest in, I really have nothing bad to say about now. I might even have a bit of a soft spot for them.. Not that I want another. Weird I know. I never would have thought either. I posted a video on page 2 http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/tech-performance-forum/49873-my-car-just-got-slower.html
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Maybe someone on a Japan based forum can hook you up with wiring info.
Great idea! I need to find a Japanese Honda forum. Thanks for the idea!
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Sea Bass is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't read the other responses, but strongly consider a bad head gasket. This is exactly how mine presented, and I replaced every component of my cooling system before the problem was correctly diagnosed.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I don't even know if they were decent cars but I have heard them be referred to as PT Losers
They are probably pretty decent cars. I absolutely love my $400 2000 Dodge Stratus 2.4, which is similar to the PT Cruiser in a lot of ways. Same engine, same transmission, etc. That car looks like s***. The paint is falling off, it has no front bumper, and it's all dented up, but it never left me stranded or needed anything but regular maintenance. Unfortunately, a friend ran it hot until it died after a rock destroyed the radiator. Even then, it didn't give up easy. He said it drove 40 miles with the temp pegged on H, the oil pressure light on, the engine light flashing, and smoke pouring out from under the hood before it quit. We aren't friends anymore for obvious reasons. I'm going to put another motor in it as soon as I can and keep driving it. I love my reliable POS.
Old 08-08-2018
Registered!!

WTF is this engine?

I am so confused. This engine looks just like a D17, but it's apparently a D15B? WTF is this? Is it just a D17A with a different name or something? Maybe it was mislabeled?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-2003-2004-2005-Honda-Civic-1-5L-SOHC-Vtec-Engine-JDM-D15B-EX-LX-DX/263732189944?hash=item3d67a9daf8%3Ag%3ASnsAAOSwdPp bErxH&_sacat=0&_nkw=jdm+d15b&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trks id=p2380057.m570.l1312.R2.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS5
Old 08-08-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTF is this engine?

Is something wrong?
Something you don't understand?
Is google (LINKYCLICK) not turned on in your area?
Old 08-08-2018
Prelude Owner

LOL, he didn't have a coupon.

Old 08-08-2018

Honda made more than 3 different engines.
Honda makes more engines than any other company in the world
Old 08-09-2018
Registered!!

Is something wrong?
Something you don't understand?
Is google (LINKYCLICK) not turned on in your area?
I did Google it. I was only finding D15B engines like this. When they are called the same thing but are clearly different, how do I know which one they are talking about?
Old 08-09-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

improve your google-fu

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...fications.html
Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

http://www.sgstream.org/forum/forum.php
Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
What you don't understand is that there are several engines called the D15B, so I have no idea which one this is.
Old 08-11-2018

C&P from wiki:

D15B VTEC

• Found in:
    • 1992–1995 Honda Civic Vti (Japanese Market)
    • 1992–1998 Honda CRX DelSol (Japanese Market)
      • Bore and Stroke: 75.0 × 84.5 mm
      • Displacement: 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
      • Rod Length: 137 mm
      • Rod/Stroke: 1.63
      • Compression: 9.3:1
      • Power: 130 PS (96 kW; 128 hp) at 6800 rpm[7]
      • Torque: 14.1 kg⋅m (138 N⋅m) at 5200 rpm[7]
      • VTEC Switchover : 4,600 rpm
      • Redline: 7200 rpm
      • Rev-limiter: 7200 rpm
      • Valvetrain: SOHC VTEC (4 valves per cylinder)
      • Fuel Control: OBD-1
      • Head Code: P08
      • ECU Code: P08 (small case ECU)***

=============================================

D15B with 3-Stage VTEC
Main article: 3-stage VTEC
This section does not cite any sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

3-Stage VTEC is a version that employs three different cam profiles to control intake valve timing and lift. Due to this version of VTEC being designed around a SOHC valve head, space was limited; so VTEC can modify only the opening and closing of the intake valves. The low-end fuel economy improvements of VTEC-E and the performance of conventional VTEC are combined in this application. From idle to 2500-3000 RPM, depending on load conditions, one intake valve fully opens while the other opens just slightly, enough to prevent pooling of fuel behind the valve, also called 12-valve mode. This 12 Valve mode results in swirl of the intake charge which increases combustion efficiency, resulting in improved low end torque and better fuel economy. At 3000-5400 RPM, depending on load, one of the VTEC solenoids engages, which causes the second valve to lock onto the first valve's camshaft lobe. Also called 16-valve mode, this method resembles a normal engine operating mode and improves the mid-range power curve. At 5500-7000 RPM, the second VTEC solenoid engages (both solenoids now engaged) so that both intake valves are using a middle, third camshaft lobe. The third lobe is tuned for high-performance and provides peak power at the top end of the RPM range.
  • Found in:
    • 1995–1998 Honda Civic Ferio Vi (EK3, Japanese market)
    • 1998-2000 Honda Civic Vi-RS
      • Bore and Stroke :75,0×84,5 mm
      • Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
      • Rod Length : 137 mm
      • Rod/Stroke : 1.62
      • Compression : 9.3:1
      • Power : 130 PS (96 kW; 128 hp) at 7000 rpm[8]
      • Torque: 139 Nm at 5300 rpm
      • Redline : 7200 rpm
      • Valvetrain : SOHC, four valves per cylinder
      • Connecting rod length : 137 mm
      • Connecting rod big end diameter : 48 mm
      • Fuel Control : OBD2b
      • Head Code : P2J-07
      • ECU Code: P2J (small case ECU)*** AUTO CVT: P2J-J63*** MT P2J-003*** & ***MT P2J-J11***
      • Piston code : P2J
Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

C&P from wiki:

D15B VTEC
  • Found in:
    • 1992–1995 Honda Civic Vti (Japanese Market)
    • 1992–1998 Honda CRX DelSol (Japanese Market)
      • Bore and Stroke: 75.0 × 84.5 mm
      • Displacement: 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
      • Rod Length: 137 mm
      • Rod/Stroke: 1.63
      • Compression: 9.3:1
      • Power: 130 PS (96 kW; 128 hp) at 6800 rpm[7]
      • Torque: 14.1 kg⋅m (138 N⋅m) at 5200 rpm[7]
      • VTEC Switchover : 4,600 rpm
      • Redline: 7200 rpm
      • Rev-limiter: 7200 rpm
      • Valvetrain: SOHC VTEC (4 valves per cylinder)
      • Fuel Control: OBD-1
      • Head Code: P08
      • ECU Code: P08 (small case ECU)***

=============================================

D15B with 3-Stage VTEC
Main article: 3-stage VTEC
This section does not cite any sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)

3-Stage VTEC is a version that employs three different cam profiles to control intake valve timing and lift. Due to this version of VTEC being designed around a SOHC valve head, space was limited; so VTEC can modify only the opening and closing of the intake valves. The low-end fuel economy improvements of VTEC-E and the performance of conventional VTEC are combined in this application. From idle to 2500-3000 RPM, depending on load conditions, one intake valve fully opens while the other opens just slightly, enough to prevent pooling of fuel behind the valve, also called 12-valve mode. This 12 Valve mode results in swirl of the intake charge which increases combustion efficiency, resulting in improved low end torque and better fuel economy. At 3000-5400 RPM, depending on load, one of the VTEC solenoids engages, which causes the second valve to lock onto the first valve's camshaft lobe. Also called 16-valve mode, this method resembles a normal engine operating mode and improves the mid-range power curve. At 5500-7000 RPM, the second VTEC solenoid engages (both solenoids now engaged) so that both intake valves are using a middle, third camshaft lobe. The third lobe is tuned for high-performance and provides peak power at the top end of the RPM range.
  • Found in:
    • 1995–1998 Honda Civic Ferio Vi (EK3, Japanese market)
    • 1998-2000 Honda Civic Vi-RS
      • Bore and Stroke :75,0×84,5 mm
      • Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
      • Rod Length : 137 mm
      • Rod/Stroke : 1.62
      • Compression : 9.3:1
      • Power : 130 PS (96 kW; 128 hp) at 7000 rpm[8]
      • Torque: 139 Nm at 5300 rpm
      • Redline : 7200 rpm
      • Valvetrain : SOHC, four valves per cylinder
      • Connecting rod length : 137 mm
      • Connecting rod big end diameter : 48 mm
      • Fuel Control : OBD2b
      • Head Code : P2J-07
      • ECU Code: P2J (small case ECU)*** AUTO CVT: P2J-J63*** MT P2J-003*** & ***MT P2J-J11***
      • Piston code : P2J
I don't know which engine that is. I looked up pictures of both, but neither one look like the engine in question.
Old 08-11-2018

Could be a random engine pic. Looks like an old Accord engine? Could be anyf'nthing.

If you cannot read the engine code stamped on the block, you can only guess.
Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

Could be a random engine pic. Looks like an old Accord engine? Could be anyf'nthing.

If you cannot read the engine code stamped on the block, you can only guess.
I can read the code. It's a D15B that looks exactly like a D17A. Maybe it was mislabeled?
Old 08-11-2018

Oh, I was looking at the one with the black valve cover.

D15x looks like your D17x because it's of the same engine family and probably even similar years, just smaller displacement version that was used in other world markets. That engine was never used in the USA.
Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

Oh, I was looking at the one with the black valve cover.

D15x looks like your D17x because it's of the same engine family and probably even similar years, just smaller displacement version that was used in other world markets. That engine was never used in the USA.
I see. That makes sense. Thanks. Any idea where I could find specs for it?
Old 08-11-2018

Japan

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave