View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Trans slow to upshift

There is an available analog throttle modulator that can help your car not bounce the rev limiter. Does your car have one installed. Do you need a link to such a unit or maybe a picture?
Old 11-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

my long gone 01 LX auto did the same when going uphill at the mountains between TN/GA. normal
Old 11-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Install new trans that is correct for the car
Install new PCM that is correct for the car

profit
Old 11-23-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Install an on/off switch for your transmission right next to the Vtec switch you installed. Also, change the jandy valve you installed for the water (heater) outlet valve from a manual to electronic...lol.
Old 11-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mcnoople
There is an available analog throttle modulator that can help your car not bounce the rev limiter. Does your car have one installed. Do you need a link to such a unit or maybe a picture?
No thank you. The trans never behaved this way until very recently.
Old 11-23-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Install new trans that is correct for the car
Install new PCM that is correct for the car

profit
The trans is correct for the car, it's the original. And the PCM isn't causing the problem either. It shifted fine with this PCM until recently, and I swapped the PCM with another known good PCM that also shifted it correctly.
Old 11-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts
Install an on/off switch for your transmission right next to the Vtec switch you installed. Also, change the jandy valve you installed for the water (heater) outlet valve from a manual to electronic...lol.
I do not have a VTEC switch anymore. I installed a compatible ECU. I also fixed the heater control valve correctly.
Old 11-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
I do not have a VTEC switch anymore. I installed a compatible ECU. I also fixed the heater control valve correctly.
what was the problem with the ECU anyway? You told us it would not work to program the keys, have not seem since then any feedback about what the problem was.
Old 11-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
what was the problem with the ECU anyway? You told us it would not work to program the keys, have not seem since then any feedback about what the problem was.
The problem with the PCM was that it was failing, and the dealer supposedly couldn't program another US PCM. I lived with the bad PCM until I figured out that I could install a JDM PCM myself without the dealer flashing it.
Old 11-23-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mcnoople
No thank you. The trans never behaved this way until very recently.

Old 11-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

The problem with the PCM was that it was failing, and the dealer supposedly couldn't program another US PCM. I lived with the bad PCM until I figured out that I could install a JDM PCM myself without the dealer flashing it.
so, something other than a PCM was causing the problem.
Another wiring issue hidden below?
Old 11-24-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Trans slow to upshift

Old 11-24-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The trans is correct for the car, it's the original.
Needs a trans!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Holy ****, you're an azzhole. That's funny.

Old 11-24-2018

I think D17 is contemplating his next power upgrade, which is cutting a hole in the driver's side floorboard so he can use his feet Fred Flintstone style.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 11-24-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2018
Registered!!

Wheels spin while engine is running

Something I noticed a long time ago is that my car spins the tires if the front of the car is lifted off the ground and the engine is running, no matter where the shifter is. It spins the tires in neutral or park. The speedometer reads about 20 at idle, and if engine RPM is increased, the wheels spin faster. No one I asked has had an answer to why it does this. The dealer told me that this is normal. This is clearly NOT normal since the engine is not supposed to be connected to the wheels when the trans is not in gear. Anyone know why it does this? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Re: Wheels spin while engine is running

it's normal. in manual trans as well
Old 11-25-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Wheels spin while engine is running

It is normal, the dealer is right.
Old 12-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ccol19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why do D17’s perform so poorly?

I don’t understand why the D17A2 performs so poorly compared to older D16’s. Can you help me understand? They have a similar compression ratio, slightly larger displacement, and they don’t have major design differences that I am aware of. Even with a cam, header, intake, intake manifold, and exhaust upgrade, they still perform poorly compared to older D series engines. My best guess is that maybe the stock ECU is holding it back. Any ideas? Thanks.
Hi....new forum user. I wanted to mention something that a lot of civic owners, especially 7th gen, have mentioned. Its the high amount of confusion about the differences between non vtec, vtec-e and normal vtec engines.
Many have mentioned that even parts places and dealers are confused.
Sometimes they seem to list the same parts for vtec and vtec-e for example. Sure, some parts are going to be the same...most, in fact. But there still seems to be confusion about the vtec engines and so my opinion is that performance on many of these vehicles suffers because there is the potential for there to be vtec-e engines in civics that are supposed to be vtec and vice-versa....
are we getting the correct parts?
Anyway....I have had several Hondas and one was a factory EX vtec bought new by my father, passed on to me...came factory with 1.7 vtec....but when I tore the engine down I found that, instead of being vtec it was the vtec-e.....a big difference.
He complained for years that his honda didn't run as strong as my brother's ex...both were ex...and now i know why.
Brother's vehicle had the 5 lobe per cylinder camshaft (2 exhaust, 2 regular intake, 1 vtec high lift and duration lobe) and my fathers car, even though even the vin says its the same exact engine, same exact car, same year, has a vtec-e arrangement, which has 2 exhaust, 2 intake arrangement.
1 of these intake lobes is barely even a lobe, and if you look at it, it appears to be round until you really examine it. This intake lobe lifts the valves during normal operation and hooks up to a larger valve during hi rpm.

This is the designed-for-fuel efficiency-engine. This is not what we purchased.
This engine essentially operates as a 3 valve per cylinder engine most of the time and the very small camshaft lobe is for fuel economy.

My point:::: some of us are running around on vtec-e engines instead of real vtec.....a travesty of justice??!! Not really...just something to think about if your (especially 2001 to 2005) civic isn't running like you think it should.

My other 2003 ex runs like a bat out of he'll...it has a 5 speed and my other one doesn't, but that's not it...it just runs better, by far! I've had the valve cover off...it has the real vtec camshaft and rocker arrangement...(5 lobes per cylinder and 2 exhaust, 2 regular intake, and 1 vtec hi lift and duration lobe). Im just sayin'.......

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-02-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: separatesd senteces for easier reading...
Old 12-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

what country are you in?

All US EX and Canada Si (majority of members are from US/Canada) are VTEC-E - D17A2 engine - for the 7th gen (01-05 cars), except for the Si (SiR in Canada) that uses the K20A3 engines.

The K-series have the actual original concept VTEC. VTEC-E is the economy version, more torque in Low-Mid RPM with 3 valves instead of 4

sadly, the original pictures were lost due to photobucket, but there are some explanations here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-e-system.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...on-inside.html

Ccol19,

on separate note, just check how old the thread is before replying
If you are actually adding info to the thread, we don't mind, but sometimes the thread could be very old
Old 12-02-2018

what country are you in?

All US EX and Canada Si (majority of members are from US/Canada) are VTEC-E - D17A2 engine - for the 7th gen (01-05 cars), except for the Si (SiR in Canada) that uses the K20A3 engines.

The K-series have the actual original concept VTEC. VTEC-E is the economy version, more torque in Low-Mid RPM with 3 valves instead of 4
Could be HX trim, D17A6 engine?
Old 12-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

not completely familiar, was the A6 then actual original VTEC? I remember that Max Tierney dropped one in his civic.

That was one made for high mileage, if i remember correctly?
Old 12-02-2018

D17A6 is vtec-E lean burn
Also camshaft is different from A1 and A2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#D17A6
Old 12-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

thanks! I did not look much into the HX model
Old 12-11-2018
Registered!!

Wheel bearing replacement

So after 240K, the OEM front wheel bearings need to be replaced. I am wondering if I can replace just the bearings, or if I need to replace the whole wheel hub assembly. Also, what brand is good for bearings? I remember hearing that NSK made the OEM wheel bearings, Is that correct? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Re: Wheel bearing replacement

you will need a press to push the hub and then the bearings out of the hub.
use correct spacers

there were some threads around about it.
Old 12-11-2018
Registered!!

you will need a press to push the hub and then the bearings out of the hub.
use correct spacers

Not the answer that I was hoping for, but thanks for your help. Is there a DIY way to replace the whole wheel hub assembly then, or do I need a press for that too? I am not sure how to get the hub off the knuckle.
Old 12-11-2018

Bearings only unless there's a reason it needs more parts.
Maybe the snap rings depending on corrosion.
Axle nuts? Cotter pins? Alignment

I use a whizz wheel to slice and then crack the stuck race off of the hub.
Old 12-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Bearings only unless there's a reason it needs more parts.
Maybe the snap rings depending on corrosion.
Axle nuts? Cotter pins? Alignment

I use a whizz wheel to slice and then crack the stuck race off of the hub.
So this can be done without a press?
Old 12-11-2018

So this can be done without a press?
Need a press for the bearing. RTFM.
Old 12-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Not the answer that I was hoping for, but thanks for your help. Is there a DIY way to replace the whole wheel hub assembly then, or do I need a press for that too? I am not sure how to get the hub off the knuckle.
search. If you are happy to push the "new Thread" button, you can be happy about pushing the "Search" button as well.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave