7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is VTEC exactly? (explination inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
What is VTEC exactly? (explination inside)

I really wasn't sure where to put this, so if a mod could kindly move it to the right spot, that'd be nice.

For anyone wondering exactly how VTEC works, here's an excellent video explaining it.

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=103&t ransactionid=1303341497-17317719392&posted_by=Brian1037_www.civicforums.co m&youtube_video_id=nc800hkqY2M[/autostream]
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: What is VTEC exactly? (explination inside)

Good one. more visual explanation of the system than only words.

I will have to warn though that that is true for the B/K-series, they have a more aggressive cam that is engaged.

The D-series however have a different VTEC, called VTEC-E (Economy). basically you only have full 4 valves when VTEC activates, before that the D simply work as 3 and a 1/4 (or less) valve engine.

Activation method is same, what they activate is not.
Also, never mix this with the cam gear valve timing control (other makers) they just move the cam forth more or less
Only honda changes the cam lobe profile. The i-VTEC includes the cam gear position control as well.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-20-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

lito99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Video!!!! Kudos man!
Old 04-20-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Good one. more visual explanation of the system than only words.

I will have to warn though that that is true for the B/K-series, they have a more aggressive cam that is engaged.

The D-series however have a different VTEC, called VTEC-E (Economy). basically you only have full 4 valves when VTEC activates, before that the D simply work as 3 and a 1/4 (or less) valve engine.

Activation method is same, what they activate is not.
Also, never mix this with the cam gear valve timing control (other makers) they just move the cam forth more or less
Only honda changes the cam lobe profile. The i-VTEC includes the cam gear position control as well.
I did not know any of that

You give really good explanations. Thanks for informing everyone

@lito99 thank you

Last edited by Brian1037; 04-20-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the video by itself is good! finding and posting it is good :thumb:
Old 04-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Rep'd you
Old 04-20-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Rep'd you
Aha thank you. Feels good to give something back for once
Old 04-20-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i love vtec
Old 04-20-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

follow the explanation of the VTEC-E - lots of controversy, but it was cleared in the end, so disregard all the bitching.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...sy-solved.html
Old 04-20-2011
Registered!!

amamdani15 will become famous soon enoughamamdani15 will become famous soon enough

he didnt explain what the vtec sticker does though...i put 8 of those on my car and im sure i added like 100hp+ i just dont know how my car puts it onto the road

nice find
Old 04-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great video..
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amamdani15
he didnt explain what the vtec sticker does though...i put 8 of those on my car and im sure i added like 100hp+ i just dont know how my car puts it onto the road

nice find
When I get a chance I'll check to see how my CIVICFORUMS.COM sticker works - I'm sure the technology is similar. I slapped one of those babies on my bumper and got 10 whole horsepowers from it.

EDIT: The truth is I don't really have a CIVICFORUMS.COM sticker yet, I'm waiting for red ones to be available. I really got those 10 horsepowers from stick on breather vents.

Last edited by thefatalepic; 04-21-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

amamdani15 will become famous soon enoughamamdani15 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thefatalepic
When I get a chance I'll check to see how my CIVICFORUMS.COM sticker works - I'm sure the technology is similar. I slapped one of those babies on my bumper and got 10 whole horsepowers from it.

EDIT: The truth is I don't really have a CIVICFORUMS.COM sticker yet, I'm waiting for red ones to be available. I really got those 10 horsepowers from stick on breather vents.
i havent gotten a civicfourms sticker yet, im waiting to tint my car first lol...and the best part about those vtec stickers was that i didnt even have to buy an EX.

my favorite breather vents are the ones that have carbon fiber in them, although they dont let any air into the engine bay, im sure that they add 10 horsepower OVER the ones without carbon fiber. only because carbon fiber=more power! (add tim taylor grunt here)
Old 04-25-2011
Registered!!

chigger78 is an unknown quantity at this point

best thing ever