View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,307 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: How much faster with a 5 speed?

In my EX in 5th 70 mph was around 3,400 rpm.

The speed at redline for each gear is below.
1: ~35 mph
2: 60-65 mph
3: 80-85 mph
4: Not really sure, 110-120?
5: Obviously will never be reached.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
In my EX in 5th 70 mph was around 3,400 rpm.

The speed at redline for each gear is below.
1: ~35 mph
2: 60-65 mph
3: 80-85 mph
4: Not really sure, 110-120?
5: Obviously will never be reached.
Very helpful, thank you very much. Since your car runs at 3400 at 70, I think 5th is actually a lower gear than my auto. My auto would be at around 2800-3000 going 70. What kind of gas mileage do you get on the highway?
Old 10-25-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,307 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

From what I've heard from others the EX 5 speed does have shorter, sportier gearing. I would always get ~38 mpg highway.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
From what I've heard from others the EX 5 speed does have shorter, sportier gearing. I would always get ~38 mpg highway.
Darn that’s good mileage. I am lucky to get 30 on the highway. I have a few issues that could be hurting my mileage though. As for the gearing being different, I’ve heard that too. However, I called a local Honda dealer and asked them, and they told me that the DX, LX, and EX all have the same part number for both the manual and automatic transmission, so who knows.
Old 10-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

DX, LX, and EX all have the same part number for both the manual and automatic transmission,
Same part number for WHAT exactly?

Dude, it's an econobox. Not a race car.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Same part number for WHAT exactly?
The complete transmission assembly.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Re: K24 vs. K20?

I presume that a K24 would have a wider, more usable power band than a K20. Am I correct?
Old 10-25-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER

The complete transmission assembly.
You were given incorrect information..

Grab any online Honda dealer parts catalog and compare for yourself.

https://estore.honda.com/
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

You were given incorrect information..
That doesn’t surprise me. This is the same dealer that thought a D17A2 is a motorcyle.
Old 10-25-2018

That doesn’t surprise me. This is the same dealer that thought a D17A2 is a motorcyle.
Understandable, here's why: In the dealer world we almost never refer to engines by those codes.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Understandable, here's why: In the dealer world we almost never refer to engines by those codes.
That’s interesting, I didn’t know that. So in the dealer world, are cars ever referred to by chassis codes?
Old 10-25-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

VTEC works as it should, 4000 RPM is just too low for this car to make anywhere near maximum power. Mine probably makes maximum power around 7K.
do you mean that switch you made to turn VTEC on/off? Did you change it when stomping on the gas?

Did you look into a dyno chart to tell that 4k RPM have too low torque? (power does not help acceleration, torque does - engine 101)
Old 10-25-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Darn that’s good mileage. I am lucky to get 30 on the highway. I have a few issues that could be hurting my mileage though. As for the gearing being different, I’ve heard that too. However, I called a local Honda dealer and asked them, and they told me that the DX, LX, and EX all have the same part number for both the manual and automatic transmission, so who knows.
18 miles stretch, 46MPG, and best 48MPG. Need to know how to drive. no turning engine off.
Name:  Qvq9jEf.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  50.6 KB

and 4k have plenty of torque, but then my VTEC is controlled by the ECU which is faster and smarter than me and i am smart enough to know that.
and I beat the hell of this car. Better than staying in the internet doing mental masturbation
Name:  WakYKIR.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  227.5 KB
Old 10-25-2018

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that. So in the dealer world, are cars ever referred to by chassis codes?
Nope.
Most of the time we don't need to know any of that. (I've never ever needed to know chassis codes like EM2 or whatever at work. That seems to be a forum user and tuner gooner thing. LOL)

Year and model are sometimes all that's needed, other times trim level and body style makes a difference.
Parts catalog uses VIN, and these days even wiring diagrams on newer stuff can be chosen by VIN.
Old 10-25-2018

Fuel consumption would probably also
You're worried about fuel consumption NOW?
DO you realize how much gasoline you can buy for the cost of any swap you're contemplating?
Old 10-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
Re: Cheap sound system upgrade

But I guess what I’m asking is why upgrading the speaker wire would be of no benefit when upgrading the power and ground wires helps so much.
Because the power wire actually carries power and a headunit can potentially pull several amps of power from the electrical system. So an upgraded wire gets more power to the radio faster than the smaller wire.

The speaker itself does not "pull" wattage. It receives a current from the headunit to move the speaker cone. This current varies throughout time in order for the speaker to produce different notes. So the speaker isn't requesting any amount of power, it only receives what is sent to it by the headunit. Whereas if you turn your headunit to max volume, it's going to request amperage on the electrical system.
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
do you mean that switch you made to turn VTEC on/off? Did you change it when stomping on the gas?

Did you look into a dyno chart to tell that 4k RPM have too low torque? (power does not help acceleration, torque does - engine 101)
I don’t have a switch anymore, I now have a VTEC ECU, which controls VTEC automatically.
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji

And FYI, the RPM where peak horsepower occurs is where the maximum acceleration potential is because the engine is capable of doing the most work. Let’s say I have 2 completely identical cars, both have a CVT. Car 1 is programmed to hold the engine at the RPM where it makes peak HP and car 2 is programmed to hold the engine at the RPM where it makes peak torque. Car 1 would accelerate faster because it would have higher wheel torque.
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

You're worried about fuel consumption NOW?
DO you realize how much gasoline you can buy for the cost of any swap you're contemplating?
I would not be doing that swap for a gas mileage improvement, I was just asking which would be more fuel efficient.
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
Because the power wire actually carries power and a headunit can potentially pull several amps of power from the electrical system. So an upgraded wire gets more power to the radio faster than the smaller wire.

The speaker itself does not "pull" wattage. It receives a current from the headunit to move the speaker cone. This current varies throughout time in order for the speaker to produce different notes. So the speaker isn't requesting any amount of power, it only receives what is sent to it by the headunit. Whereas if you turn your headunit to max volume, it's going to request amperage on the electrical system.
Great info, thank you. However, wouldn’t larger speaker wires be able to transmit more power to the speakers?
Old 10-29-2018

Car 1 is programmed to hold the engine at the RPM where it makes peak HP and car 2 is programmed to hold the engine at the RPM where it makes peak torque.
You probably ought to study up on how a horsepower curve is created for a graph.
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

EPS conversion pro’s and con’s?

So I have been thinking about what my next upgrade will be. One possibility is an EPS conversion with an EPS system from an EP3 Civic or a hybrid. I have a list of pro’s and con’s that I put together. I would appreciate any feedback on my list, as well as feedback on weather I should convert from hydraulic assist to electric assist. Thank you in advance.

EPS conversion benefits:
Less parasitic drag on the engine
One less fluid to worry about
Won’t lose steering assist if the engine stalls
Frees up room in the engine compartment
Possibly a tiny bit of weight reduction
One less thing to worry about when I do a K swap

Possible downsides to an EPS conversion:
Cost (obviously)
More load on the electrical system
Possible reduction in steering feedback
Complexity

If anyone else have any input or anything else to add to the list, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 11-05-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

You probably ought to study up on how a horsepower curve is created for a graph.
I know how it’s done. Torque is measured, then multiplied by RPM and divided by 5252.
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough
Re: EPS conversion pro’s and con’s?

my first post here was due to EPS issues. i'm not a fan.

this idea is one you should just completely forget about. there is no benefit here and there is no way you'll ever get it to work anyways. you'll never get your JDM honda stream dinosaur ecu to tell the eps module how fast the car is moving so it can determine how much to assist. right there you should scratch this idea from your head.

my first few civics were manual racks and THAT would be the upgrade, IMO. no lines, no wires, no parts to connect, disconnect, or fail, plus more room to work. 1991 was the last year for this beautifully simplistic steering, IIRC
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
my first post here was due to EPS issues. i'm not a fan.

this idea is one you should just completely forget about. there is no benefit here and there is no way you'll ever get it to work anyways. you'll never get your JDM honda stream dinosaur ecu to tell the eps module how fast the car is moving so it can determine how much to assist. right there you should scratch this idea from your head.

my first few civics were manual racks and THAT would be the upgrade, IMO. no lines, no wires, no parts to connect, disconnect, or fail, plus more room to work. 1991 was the last year for this beautifully simplistic steering, IIRC
Great points, thanks. However, I know for a fact that I can get EPS to work with my ECU, I know someone who has done it. But if the EPS system is problematic and unreliable, I don’t want one.
Old 10-29-2018

Suggestion:
Sell all of your cars.
Buy a decent low mileage 8th gen Civic SI, it came from the factory equipped with just about everything you've talked about for your 7th gen cars
Don't modify anything. Maintain that SI and leave it the way it was built.
Old 10-29-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Suggestion:
Sell all of your cars.
Buy a decent low mileage 8th gen Civic SI, it came from the factory equipped with just about everything you've talked about for your 7th gen cars
Don't modify anything. Maintain that SI and leave it the way it was built.
This

Last edited by Colin42; 10-29-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

didn't you have alternator, battery issues?

adding more electrical load will surely help you a lot...

one of the most difficult parts of the EPS is calibrating it. Car manufacturers have a tough time doing it. Can't see you getting this done.
Old 10-29-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

And FYI, the RPM where peak horsepower occurs is where the maximum acceleration potential is because the engine is capable of doing the most work. Let’s say I have 2 completely identical cars, both have a CVT. Car 1 is programmed to hold the engine at the RPM where it makes peak HP and car 2 is programmed to hold the engine at the RPM where it makes peak torque. Car 1 would accelerate faster because it would have higher wheel torque.
nope, wrong
Old 10-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Great info, thank you. However, wouldn’t larger speaker wires be able to transmit more power to the speakers?
Yes it would. However the question is: will it make enough of a difference for it to be worth it?

We're talking about less than 50 watts over less than a 10ft long piece of wire. If you were talking about 500 watts then you would definitely want to upgrade the speaker wire.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave