View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Sudden lack of power

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
exhaust was pinched from scraping on a speed bump.
Hmmm

Originally Posted by Colin42
cat clogged?
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: “Low charge” mode drains AGM batteries?

for 99.999999999% of people a standard battery is fine
because:
IMO, the “economy grocery getter” argument doesn’t work because Honda/Acura uses the same “dual mode” charging system on all of their vehicles, including their luxury and sports cars.
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Another thing I am now curious about is why a restricted exhaust was causing the engine to ping and run hot. When I held the throttle wide open for more than about 8 seconds, the engine started pinging, and it ran hotter than normal at times also.
Old 10-22-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Do they use an AGM battery on the high end luxury vehicles?

A better argument is what Colin said: 99% of the people don’t need an upgraded batery.
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Do they use an AGM battery on the high end luxury vehicles?

A better argument is what Colin said: 99% of the people don’t need an upgraded batery.
Well maybe people don’t “need” a better battery, but the $18 that I spent on my battery at a junkyard was money well spent IMO. It was made in 2004, and it still tests at a higher CCA than it’s rated at. How many OEM batteries would still be problem free after 14 years of use?
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Re: Cheap sound system upgrade

Originally Posted by GolNat
+1 I agree with Colin.

Yea wire is cheap but its a PITA to install. How much power are you planning on pushing that the wires are not sufficient?
What would make you believe that the factory speaker wire would be sufficient when the power wire wasn’t? Just curious.
Old 10-22-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

because again for 99.99% of people it is
Old 10-22-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that when the alternator goes into “low charge” mode at around 12.4 volts, the battery is actually being drained rather than kept charged. I am presuming that this is because I have a high end AGM battery, which is fully charged at around 13.2 volts instead of around 12.6 like a standard 12v battery. So did the engineers at Honda presume that people would only use OEM batteries, or is this a flaw in the specific type of battery I have? Thanks.
The charging system will continue to operate as it was designed to regardless of battery type installed.

If you don't like what it does with your AGM battery, simply install the type of battery that's supposed to be in it.
Has it actually done anything wrong to that battery?
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

because again for 99.99% of people it is
But I guess what I’m asking is why upgrading the speaker wire would be of no benefit when upgrading the power and ground wires helps so much.
Old 10-22-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Has it actually done anything wrong to that battery?
Yes. When I drive in low charge mode for long enough, the battery drains to 12.4 volts. It’s not good for the battery to sit in a partially discharged state all the time.
Old 10-22-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. When I drive in low charge mode for long enough, the battery drains to 12.4 volts. It’s not good for the battery to sit in a partially discharged state all the time.
Sounds like you may not want to use AGM in this car.
Maybe you should install a correct type battery.
Old 10-22-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Another thing I am now curious about is why a restricted exhaust was causing the engine to ping and run hot. When I held the throttle wide open for more than about 8 seconds, the engine started pinging, and it ran hotter than normal at times also.
how would you feel if you wanted to fart but someone suddenly pinched close your exhaust?

same for an engine...
Old 10-22-2018

But I guess what I’m asking is why upgrading the speaker wire would be of no benefit when upgrading the power and ground wires helps so much.
see below

running all new speaker wires would be a huge pain in the ***.
Old 10-22-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

sounds like when a guy put race brake pads on his street car.
the pads would never get into the operating temperatures and would goo the rotors, while never getting into the right temperature working range, thus not stop the car.

but, hey, because racecar, LOL!
Old 10-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
sounds like when a guy put race brake pads on his street car.
the pads would never get into the operating temperatures and would goo the rotors, while never getting into the right temperature working range, thus not stop the car.

but, hey, because racecar, LOL!
I don’t have racing brake pads on my car, I have performance street pads. Where did you hear that I have racing pads?
Old 10-23-2018

Where did you hear that I .....
Maybe you should read his post again.
Old 10-23-2018

Another thing I am now curious about is why a restricted exhaust was causing the engine to
Because it does.
Old 10-23-2018
Registered!!

Because it does.
So it’s expected that the engine will ping and run hot with a restricted exhaust?
Old 10-23-2018

So it’s expected that the engine will ping and run hot with a restricted exhaust?
Pick up a GOOD automotive service manual and read up on some symptom troubleshooting
Old 10-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

have you never heard of parallel?
I started with a:
"sounds like when a guy..."

I don’t have racing brake pads on my car, I have performance street pads. Where did you hear that I have racing pads?
Old 10-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

try to fart.
reeeealy hard.
plug your rear end.
see if you ping

Old 10-24-2018
Registered!!

Re: How much faster with a 5 speed?

I feel like my car could benefit a lot from another gear. For example, if I floor it going 40, it feels like the engine bogs down because it downshifts to second gear and runs at around 4000 RPM where it can’t make power. On the other hand, if I floor it going 60, it feels pretty quick because when it downshifts to second gear, the RPMs jump to around 5500 where it can make power. And if I floor it going 70, it downshifts to 3rd gear and only runs at 4500 RPM going 70. How much better would this problem be with a 5 speed manual? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2018

Well, it would be better because with a manual you get to dictate what gear you are in.
However it really isn't worth the time and effort involved to properly do a 5 speed swap.
Either fix all your issues and just keep driving the car, or offload it on someone and buy a manual
Old 10-24-2018
Registered!!

Well, it would be better because with a manual you get to dictate what gear you are in.
However it really isn't worth the time and effort involved to properly do a 5 speed swap.
Either fix all your issues and just keep driving the car, or offload it on someone and buy a manual
Thank you for your help. I have a question though. What exactly do you mean by “properly” doing the swap? Do you just mean things like changing out the ECU and cluster? If so, I don’t care about minor things like that as long as it doesn’t effect function.
Old 10-24-2018

it downshifts to second gear and runs at around 4000 RPM where it can’t make power.
Sooooo you still have an engine performance problem?

So all of a sudden my car has low power. The engine still runs well and doesn’t misfire and has no relevant codes, but the power is much less than normal, especially at higher RPMs. For example, when I floor it getting onto the highway, depending on speed, it downshifts to either first or second gear like it normally would, but the engine bogs down
Old 10-24-2018
Registered!!

Sooooo you still have an engine performance problem?
No, that’s fixed. 4000 RPM is just way below peak power for this engine, so it struggles a bit.
Old 10-24-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

if your VTEC was working, it would have switched to 3 valves in lower RPM, which gives more torque.
Old 10-25-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

It won't be faster at all when at full throttle in a straight line because 1,2,3 and 4 will climb to high rpm numbers before shifting. the same will happen with manual. 1,2,3 and 4 will be your power gears. Stock 5th is pretty far up there for the low power of the vehicle so it isn't much of a factor.

However, you will notice a significant increase in speed while cornering. This is because the auto will down shift for you as you step on the brake. This means that if you were entering a corner in 4th gear and 6,000rpm, and braked to get through the corner, the ECU will shift down to 2nd or 1st with a much lower RPM.

With a manual transmission you can to keep the rpm as high as possible since this is where you make power. Depending on the corner You could enter in 4th and down shift into 3rd or 2nd (which ever won't redline but will have high rpm)

This allows you to always be at an rpm that will have access to VTEC and the most power as possible while exiting a corner.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
if your VTEC was working, it would have switched to 3 valves in lower RPM, which gives more torque.
VTEC works as it should, 4000 RPM is just too low for this car to make anywhere near maximum power. Mine probably makes maximum power around 7K.
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
It won't be faster at all when at full throttle in a straight line because 1,2,3 and 4 will climb to high rpm numbers before shifting. the same will happen with manual. 1,2,3 and 4 will be your power gears. Stock 5th is pretty far up there for the low power of the vehicle so it isn't much of a factor.

However, you will notice a significant increase in speed while cornering. This is because the auto will down shift for you as you step on the brake. This means that if you were entering a corner in 4th gear and 6,000rpm, and braked to get through the corner, the ECU will shift down to 2nd or 1st with a much lower RPM.

With a manual transmission you can to keep the rpm as high as possible since this is where you make power. Depending on the corner You could enter in 4th and down shift into 3rd or 2nd (which ever won't redline but will have high rpm)

This allows you to always be at an rpm that will have access to VTEC and the most power as possible while exiting a corner.
So does that mean it would cruise at a lower RPM on the highway in 5th gear with a manual than 4th with an auto?

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave