View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Engine cranks in any gear?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Okay so I removed the relay from the socket and it still cranks in any gear. What does this mean? Short in the load side?
you pulled the wrong relay?

Or its bypassed somewhere
Old 07-12-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Effed up range switch?
Old 07-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Effed up range switch?
I don't think so. All the indicator lights on the dash work correctly.
Old 07-12-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

you pulled the wrong relay?

Or its bypassed somewhere
I pulled RY1 on this diagram: http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/portfolio/e/udfrb.htm
Old 07-12-2018

You pulled the relay and you have a wire diagram.. Test, dont guess.

It's not the relay.
Old 07-12-2018
Registered!!

You pulled the relay and you have a wire diagram.. Test, dont guess.

It's not the relay.
It can't be the relay since it still cranks without it installed. Something must be shorted. I'm too tired to go any farther with this tonight though since it's almost midnight here. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-13-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: I think this is the end of my transmission

Originally Posted by NDNV
Don't go by the name of Shrink Dong
Gives me an idea for a name if I ever become a rapper:
DJ Shrinky Dink Dong
Old 07-13-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: I think this is the end of my transmission

Do it! Do it! Do it!
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Would it be a bad idea to ignore this issue?
Old 07-13-2018

Would it be a bad idea to ignore this issue?
Depends®
Old 07-14-2018
Registered!!

Depends®
Basically, I'm asking if ignoring this issue will strand me, damage something, burn my car down, or do something else nasty. I WILL NOT start it in gear, so no need to worry about that. Even if I did (which I won't), I always use the parking brake, so it's not going anywhere.
Old 07-14-2018

Basically, I'm asking if ignoring this issue will
What do YOU think?
Old 07-14-2018
Registered!!

What do YOU think?
I think it's fine to ignore.
Old 07-14-2018
Registered!!

Re: Info about installing a JDM PCM in a USDM car

So I have an update.The JDM PCM that came with the harness I bought, part number 37820-PSA-J84, is a direct drop in replacement for the original PCM. It works flawlessly with the stock harness, as well as the JDM harness I bought. The only odd thing is that it sets a P1713 code when the shifter is put in 2, and it has a flashing key light. But it drives fine and there are no other problems. I'm just not sure if it would pass an inspection with this PCM, but we don't have inspections here, so it's not a problem for me, but it may be for you. Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 07-14-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2018
Registered!!

Re: Will an alternator fry if it’s overloaded?

Well I think I killed my alternator running my inverter off of it. I was drawing about 300 watts from it constantly for about 4 hours, and 2 days later, the alternator is dead. The alternator was full fielded producing a steady 13.4 volts the whole time. Could very well be a coincidence that it died right after I ran the inverter off of it, I don't know. I bought a rebuilt 160 amp alternator on Ebay. I have other alternators, but I'm sick of replacing these crappy OEM alternators every couple of years. I've also been stranded, 2 times from alternator failures, and I'm just sick of this.
Old 07-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I bought a rebuilt alternator off eBay
Might have just been it’s time to go...

crappy OEM alternators every couple of years
I have never replaced an alternator in one of my Honda’s. I think the OEM ones are great.

P=IE solve for I. I=P/E

300W/12V = 25 Amps. That’s not straining it much.
Old 07-15-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Might have just been it’s time to go...

I have never replaced an alternator in one of my Honda’s. I think the OEM ones are great.

P=IE solve for I. I=P/E

300W/12V = 25 Amps. That’s not straining it much.
From my experience, I disagree that OEM Honda alternators are great. It was replaced twice by the dealer under warranty, and then another 2 or 3 times by me. But you're right that 25 amps isn't that much, so maybe coincidence. As I understand, when an alternator is pushed beyond its current limit, it just won't output enough power and the battery will drain as a result. As I understand, nothing will be damaged. Is that correct?
Old 07-15-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That is my understanding as well. Alternator supplies 100 Amps. You need 120 so the battery gives you 20 Amps on top of the alternators 100 until the battery dies. I would think it’s also not designed to run at max load all the time and engineers pick output based on load needs. Car needs 60 Amps to run so we will put a 100 amp in to not over do it. Sure running a 100 amp alternator at 100 Amps often will wear it more but you were drawing 25 Amps off of it for 4 hours not 4 months.

I think you have other issues if you are going through OEM alternators like that. Not the typical at all.
Old 07-15-2018
Registered!!

That is my understanding as well. Alternator supplies 100 Amps. You need 120 so the battery gives you 20 Amps on top of the alternators 100 until the battery dies. I would think it’s also not designed to run at max load all the time and engineers pick output based on load needs. Car needs 60 Amps to run so we will put a 100 amp in to not over do it. Sure running a 100 amp alternator at 100 Amps often will wear it more but you were drawing 25 Amps off of it for 4 hours not 4 months.

I think you have other issues if you are going through OEM alternators like that. Not the typical at all.
Thanks. So in theory, the more power drawn from the alternator, the quicker it wears out?
Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

you should make sure the alternator cable is thick enough to handle the upgrade. 160 is quite a jump and manufacturers generally don't waste money on thicker wiring than is needed. it may save you from writing a post about melted wiring or fried fusible links.
https://alternatorparts.com/wire-size-chart.html
Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
you should make sure the alternator cable is thick enough to handle the upgrade. 160 is quite a jump and manufacturers generally don't waste money on thicker wiring than is needed. it may save you from writing a post about melted wiring or fried fusible links.
https://alternatorparts.com/wire-size-chart.html
You are absolutely correct! I already have a 2 gauge power cable for the alternator in addition to the stock cable, so I'm good there. Great point though! Thanks.
Old 07-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Thanks. So in theory, the more power drawn from the alternator, the quicker it wears out?
you are missing the point

Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
you are missing the point
I guess the car has been defective since it was new then.
Old 07-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I guess the car has been defective since it was new then.
have you had the car since new then? You would be quite young by then, tho...
Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
have you had the car since new then? You would be quite young by then, tho...
It's been in the family since it was new. My mom gave it to me when I was 18.
Old 07-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I thought this car was a former rental car?
Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
I thought this car was a former rental car?
I should have said almost new. It had 10K miles or something. To me, that's new. LOL
Old 07-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

God only knows what may have happened to that car in those 10k miles...
Avoid former rental cars like the plague.
Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
God only knows what may have happened to that car in those 10k miles...
Avoid former rental cars like the plague.
I agree. I didn't pay for it though. Mom gave it to me for free for my 18th birthday, so I can't complain.
Old 07-16-2018
Registered!!

If an alternator can't be damaged from a heavy load, why do almost all alternators say to fully charge the battery before you start the car? Don't they say that so the alternator doesn't overload and fail?

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave