View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: What should exhaust smell like with no cat?

Originally Posted by ezone
Pay?

Grab an original cat from a low mileage car in a junkyard and bolt it on?
Junkyards can't sell used cats. And since it's a universal cat, I'd have to pay to have it welded on.
Old 08-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want to pay for a genuine cat from Honda, the California certified cats are probably the next best thing on the market. IF you want it to work well and last a decent amount of time.
REMEMBER THIS: even a brand new cat can be ruined in a matter of seconds if the engine doesn't run right.

Sooooo many small cheap cats just can't keep the computer happy for very long. 49 state covers all of those and more LOL. It's anyones guess how long any of them will last. I would NOT install one for any customer. I would much rather let them get their cheap fix from anyplace else (usually an exhaust shop) so they can be mad at that shop later on when it doesn't work out so well (when they get what they paid for).

You could stick a cheater on the sensor to keep the computer happier, but.......
Old 08-01-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Someone once posted a picture of a high flow racing cat or some such......it was freekin hollow inside. It wasn't a cat at all.
Old 08-01-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

If you don't want to pay for a genuine cat from Honda, the California certified cats are probably the next best thing on the market. IF you want it to work well and last a decent amount of time.
REMEMBER THIS: even a brand new cat can be ruined in a matter of seconds if the engine doesn't run right.

Sooooo many small cheap cats just can't keep the computer happy for very long. 49 state covers all of those and more LOL. It's anyones guess how long any of them will last. I would NOT install one for any customer. I would much rather let them get their cheap fix from anyplace else (usually an exhaust shop) so they can be mad at that shop later on when it doesn't work out so well (when they get what they paid for).

You could stick a cheater on the sensor to keep the computer happier, but.......
So generally any 50 state cat from a reputable company is okay? And I am well aware that a poorly running engine will quickly melt a cat, which is why I said "I expect that it will not fail due to a flaw for at least 5 years" rather than "I expect that it will not fail due to a for at least 5 years".
Old 08-01-2018
Registered!!

Someone once posted a picture of a high flow racing cat or some such......it was freekin hollow inside. It wasn't a cat at all.
I know. I saw one on eBay called a "noncatalytic converter". LOL
Old 08-01-2018

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
So generally any 50 state cat from a reputable company is okay?
Read this again:

If you don't want to pay for a genuine cat from Honda, the California certified cats are probably the next best thing on the market.
certified California CARB compliant
Old 08-01-2018
Registered!!

Read this again:
Thanks a lot. I'll have one installed as soon as I have the money.
Old 08-01-2018

You can find plenty of people running cheap cats that are good enough.

I refuse to install them on my customers cars (our shop in general) because they aren't reliable enough.
Old 08-01-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

no cat? You will not smell burnt fur.

far as i can remember, TN still requires emissions testing...

so much for saving for a K-swap.
Old 08-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
no cat? You will not smell burnt fur.

far as i can remember, TN still requires emissions testing...

so much for saving for a K-swap.
There is no emissions testing here in Memphis. Maybe a local thing?
Old 08-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

i have no cats on my mustang. i run pretty lean, you can smell it, but it does not stink very much. it does burn your eyes a bit if it's in a garage. when my car was running too rich, my girlfriend said i smelled like exhaust(an hour after driving).

this is fun if you have no cat.. i'm partial to the supercharged strawberry or bubble gum. recommend picking a flavour having her follow you again.
https://www.jegs.com/pt/Fuel+Fragrance
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...type/fragrance
if you have ANY blow-by, the fuel that gets into the oil is enough to make the oil smell too. you don't need to use nearly as much per tank as they say.

from the factory my ford cat had 700 cells per inch, and required an air pump to prevent it from clogging. i may get 200 cell per inch steel core racing cats, but so far i have held back because i reeeeeallly like the way the car sounds and i like the fireballs that occasionally fart out during a high rpm shift. 200 cell per inch would help with the smell and in my case of how i cruise lean, it would also reduce NOX. if smell is your main concern, you might look into a 200 cell racing cat. it will significantly reduce the smell but you will still smell it. Vibrant performance was the brand i was intending to buy.

Last edited by RobertD; 08-02-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2018

Originally Posted by RobertD
supercharged strawberry or bubble gum. recommend picking a flavour having her follow you again.

Old 08-02-2018
Registered!!

i have no cats on my mustang. i run pretty lean, you can smell it, but it does not stink very much. it does burn your eyes a bit if it's in a garage. when my car was running too rich, my girlfriend said i smelled like exhaust(an hour after driving).

this is fun if you have no cat.. i'm partial to the supercharged strawberry or bubble gum. recommend picking a flavour having her follow you again.
if you have ANY blow-by, the fuel that gets into the oil is enough to make the oil smell too. you don't need to use nearly as much per tank as they say.

from the factory my ford cat had 700 cells per inch, and required an air pump to prevent it from clogging. i may get 200 cell per inch steel core racing cats, but so far i have held back because i reeeeeallly like the way the car sounds and i like the fireballs that occasionally fart out during a high rpm shift. 200 cell per inch would help with the smell and in my case of how i cruise lean, it would also reduce NOX. if smell is your main concern, you might look into a 200 cell racing cat. it will significantly reduce the smell but you will still smell it. Vibrant performance was the brand i was intending to buy.
That fuel fragrance sounds like a fun idea. Does it damage anything?
Old 08-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

That fuel fragrance sounds like a fun idea. Does it damage anything?
no. all it does is fix the smell, some double as a top end lube.. read the reviews. it's popular at car shows, cruise nights, and parades piloted buy the the old guys with the 40's / 50's cars. first i saw it a 57 chevy rolled by at the dragstrip and everything smelled like pina coladas
Old 08-02-2018
Registered!!

no. all it does is fix the smell, some double as a top end lube.. read the reviews. it's popular at car shows, cruise nights, and parades piloted buy the the old guys with the 40's / 50's cars. first i saw it a 57 chevy rolled by at the dragstrip and everything smelled like pina coladas
I guess I'll try it then. LOL
Old 08-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

WTF?!? LOL! I second that
Old 08-02-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

The guy I purchased my car from removed the cat convertor...he also removed the emissions charcoal cannister so there is no catless rank exhaust smell..no sir, it's just good old gas fumes at every stop light for me. I don't recommend either, ever, period
Old 08-02-2018

I've been showing it around to ppl in the shop. This is all new and different for us LOL
Old 08-03-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

yeah, surprised too.. LOL!
Old 08-03-2018
Registered!!

Re: Running hot at idle. Bad water pump?

For now I just turned the idle screw on the side of the throttle body so it idles at 1500 RPM so it won't overheat. I'll change the water pump eventually. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

UPDATE: The impeller was presumably slipping on the shaft of the water pump. The impeller fell off while I was driving, causing an overheat. I changed the water pump and it's fine now. The impeller was sitting in the engine block behind the water pump. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 08-06-2018

UPDATE: The impeller was presumably slipping on the shaft of the water pump. The impeller fell off while I was driving, causing an overheat. I changed the water pump and it's fine now. The impeller was sitting in the engine block behind the water pump. Thanks for your help guys!
I've never ever seen a Honda pump do that.
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

I've never ever seen a Honda pump do that.
It wasn't OEM. It was Gates.
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Can these gauges work?

I found a gauge cluster from a 2005 Stream that I really like. I think the contrast between the white on the gauges and the carbon fiber background looks really cool. But I don't know if I can make it work in my Civic. It looks like it would bolt in just fine, but I don't know if it would be electrically compatible. If not, could I change the wires around to make it work? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2018

It wasn't OEM. It was Gates.
Guess we should add it to the list of "THOU SHALT NEVER"
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

I thought Gates was a good brand?
Old 08-06-2018

Sure.
They are well known for quality for belts and hoses.
Stop.

Did you install another Gates water pump?
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

No. I installed an OEM water pump this time. I'm not risking destroying my engine over $40.
Old 08-06-2018

No. I installed an OEM water pump this time. I'm not risking destroying my engine over $40.

Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

?????

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave