View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Should I adjust my MAP sensor voltage?

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
His issues are beyond scope.

He is not using stock intake , intake manifold, or injectors or exhaust manifold or right pcm or right spark plugs or the right other parts.

I suggested he gets a adjustable fuel pressure regulator months ago since he has a Frankenstein setup and besides Programmable PCM that’s about all he can do.. well except hack a feedback sensor I suppose.
Actually, I now have the correct PCM. I changed it. I also have (and always have had) the correct spark plugs and exhaust manifold. But I like your idea to install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Old 05-28-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Actually, I now have the correct PCM. I changed it. I also have (and always have had) the correct spark plugs and exhaust manifold. But I like your idea to install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Is it running okay after that dude drained the oil and coolant out of it?
Old 05-28-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Is it running okay after that dude drained the oil and coolant out of it?
Seems to be running fine.
Old 05-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Actually, I now have the correct PCM. I changed it. I also have (and always have had) the correct spark plugs and exhaust manifold.
Also, most of the mods that I did, like the DC Sports header and aftermarket exhaust were either....
Always as far as your recall of what you posted?
Old 05-28-2018
Registered!!

Always as far as your recall of what you posted?
It's an aftermarket header, but it's the right one for the car.
Old 05-28-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

It's an aftermarket header, but it's the right one for the car.
Really, you verified with DC sports that header was made for a D17 running a D16 full intake including sensors, throttle body and injectors and a catless exhaust and it should not create a rich condition?
Old 05-29-2018
Registered!!

Really, you verified with DC sports that header was made for a D17 running a D16 full intake including sensors, throttle body and injectors and a catless exhaust and it should not create a rich condition?
Actually, it was running rich before I installed the D16 intake manifold.
Old 05-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

throw a turbo on it...it'll help with the leaning it out.
Old 05-29-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by piano55man
throw a turbo on it...it'll help with the leaning it out.
lol!
Old 05-31-2018
Registered!!

I think my transmission is dying

Earlier today, my transmission started acting weird. So far, the only symptom seems to be with first gear. What it's doing is from a dead stop, when I give it gas, it sort of hesitates for a second, then it "catches" and lurches forward and drives normal. It also has started itself from a stop in second gear a few times. If I manually put the shifter in 2, it starts out normal every time. I think what it's doing is not downshifting to first gear, then downshifting to first gear when I take off. I think the trans was damaged when the PCM was shifting it erratically. Does this sound like the transmission is starting to go out? I think this is the beginning of the end of this transmission. What do you think?
Old 06-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I think my transmission is dying

It's either broken, or not.

Low fluid level? Are you checking it the correct way?
Try a USA PCM?
Old 06-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
It's either broken, or not.

Low fluid level? Are you checking it the correct way?
Try a USA PCM?
The fluid is full. I'm checking it with the engine fully warmed up and not running, like I'm supposed to. I don't think it's the JDM PCM since it was working fine until now. Any other ideas?
Old 06-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

maybe your arch nemesis in the cavalier has put some foreign substance in the fluid. normally a car that hesitates for a second has low fluid or a dirty/clogged filter.
Old 06-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
maybe your arch nemesis in the cavalier has put some foreign substance in the fluid. normally a car that hesitates for a second has low fluid or a dirty/clogged filter.
The fluid is full and looks very clean. I have no idea if the filter is clogged though.
Old 06-01-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I think this is the beginning of the end of this transmission. What do you think?

I think you may want to invest in another car with far fewer issues..lol
Old 06-01-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Megalodong
I think you may want to invest in another car with far fewer issues..lol
I agree!! Cut your losses and get another car.
Old 06-01-2018
Registered!!

You all don’t know this guy, he will pull the tranny out of a 1992 civic abandoned down his street, bolt it up and ask us help getting his speedo working right...
Old 06-01-2018

You all don’t know this guy, he will pull the tranny out of a 1992 civic abandoned down his street, bolt it up and ask us help getting his speedo working right...
Lol..

Especially, if it's a JDM transmission
Old 06-01-2018
Registered!!

Nope. I have an extra.
Old 06-02-2018
Registered!!

Update: It's fixed. The problem ended up being a bad brake light switch. I'm not sure how it's related, but I noticed that the brake lights were staying on when parked, so I changed the brake light switch and everything is good now. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-02-2018
Registered!!

You all don’t know this guy, he will pull the tranny out of a 1992 civic abandoned down his street
I wish there was an abandoned car down my street!
Old 06-03-2018

Update: It's fixed. The problem ended up being a bad brake light switch. I'm not sure how it's related, but I noticed that the brake lights were staying on when parked, so I changed the brake light switch and everything is good now. Thanks for your help!

See my similar reaction at the 1:18 time mark on video below. Substitute "what?" for the line "you quit?"

Old 06-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

I believe that the government mandates that the brake light switch is on its own isolated circuit, which is why there is usually a separate brake switch for shifting out of park, cancelling cruise, etc. I'm pretty sure your problem will be back soon
Old 06-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
I believe that the government mandates that the brake light switch is on its own isolated circuit, which is why there is usually a separate brake switch for shifting out of park, cancelling cruise, etc. I'm pretty sure your problem will be back soon
This is a 4 wire switch, so I think 2 wires are for the lights and 2 wires are to tell the computer maybe? Maybe that's a new regulation? Not sure. My car only has 1 brake pedal switch. But it was consistently acting up with the old switch and it's consistently fine with the new switch, so I think it's fixed.
Old 06-03-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

4 wires because the brake switch has two separate sets of switch contacts.

When pedal is depressed, one set of contacts opens, the other set of contacts closes.

Brake lights, cruise, multiplex, shift lock, ECM/PCM, ABS all use the N.O. set of contacts.

Cruise is usually the only unit that uses the N.C. contacts.
Old 06-03-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
4 wires because the brake switch has two separate sets of switch contacts.

When pedal is depressed, one set of contacts opens, the other set of contacts closes.

Brake lights, cruise, multiplex, shift lock, ECM/PCM, ABS all use the N.O. set of contacts.

Cruise is usually the only unit that uses the N.C. contacts.
Thanks for clarifying. That's what I thought, but nice to have someone confirm it.
Old 06-06-2018
Registered!!

Will shaving my head make more power?

I would like to increase my compression to between 10.5:1 and 11:1 to make a little more power, but there aren't really any options for higher compression pistons for these engines, and no one seems to know if D16 pistons will fit. So my question is if shaving the head to increase the compression will make more power from higher compression. I don't see why it wouldn't, but I'm just making sure. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2018

Re: Will shaving my head make more power?

I would like to increase my compression to between 10.5:1 and 11:1 to make a little more power, but there aren't really any options for higher compression pistons for these engines, and no one seems to know if D16 pistons will fit. So my question is if shaving the head to increase the compression will make more power from higher compression. I don't see why it wouldn't, but I'm just making sure. Thanks!

Here's many similar threads (various engines): https://www.google.com/search?num=50....0.6VhC2CAmY_4
Old 06-06-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you will turn into a skin head
Old 06-06-2018

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave