View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is my engine okay?

Originally Posted by ezone
That's vandalism. Cops and insurance should have been involved.
I did call the cops. They told me that they have no proof of who did this, even though the suspect was making a joke about the oil running out. I asked them to see if they could get fingerprints, but they refused. They said the crime is so bad here in Memphis that they have bigger concerns. Also, you’re right, I should have reported this to my insurance company, but I didn’t think of it.
Old 05-23-2018
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

I have a co worker that allows the same BS to happen to his cars. Sounds like you should invest in a dash cam with standby parking mode.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why is coolant run through the throttle body?

I think that since I have an aluminium intake manifold, the throttle body stays warm enough for this to not be a problem, especially in this climate. I think if it was going to freeze from the lines being disconnected, it would have done it when I was living in Chicago with a plastic intake manifold.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
I have a co worker that allows the same BS to happen to his cars. Sounds like you should invest in a dash cam with standby parking mode.
I had a dash cam. The person burned the camera with a burning laser, destroying the SD card, and scratched “I LUV KKK” in the back bumper. I would put a camera in my window, but I live in an apartment and I can’t park in front of the building.
Old 05-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

8-10 seconds without oil isn't long. Especially only idling, not under load. We've seen far worse conditions without oil and engine still survived.

Refill and run it. If it doesn't knock, keep on driving it.

Coolant/overheat? You should already know what damage could occur.

All you can do now is refill everything, shoot your friend through the palms of both hands with buckshot, and drive it until you find out if there was damage done.
It will either survive, or it won't.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

8-10 seconds without oil isn't long. Especially only idling, not under load. We've seen far worse conditions without oil and engine still survived.

Refill and run it. If it doesn't knock, keep on driving it.

Coolant/overheat? You should already know what damage could occur.

All you can do now is refill everything, shoot your friend through the palms of both hands with buckshot, and drive it until you find out if there was damage done.
It will either survive, or it won't.
Thanks. So if there was damage done, it would be catastrophic and I would know it by now? I changed the oil filter and there was no glitter in the old one when I cut it open, so that’s a good sign. I even floored it several times since this incident, and it still runs good, so I think it’s okay. Another interesting thing is that this is the first time that this engine overheated this bad without blowing the head gasket. I think the ARP head studs I recently installed may be why the head gasket isn’t blown.
Old 05-23-2018
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER

I had a dash cam. The person burned the camera with a burning laser, destroying the SD card, and scratched “I LUV KKK” in the back bumper. I would put a camera in my window, but I live in an apartment and I can’t park in front of the building.
Sounds like a repeat offender. Have you told the cops about all these incidents? Do you have any friends that park in the same lot? Have the camera in their car. Check the surrounding parking lots/businesses see if anyone has cameras on the area.

Could be wrong but since the KKK is considered a very racist organization and depending on your ethnicity you might have grounds for getting it ruled a "hate crime" which drastically changes how the cops respond to the situation especially if you can get it caught on video.
Old 05-23-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

The same jerk that scratched "F*** U COPZ" in my back bumper drained my oil and coolant overnight. This morning, I started my car, and about 10 seconds later, I noticed that the low oil pressure light was on. I immediately shut off the engine and checked the oil. It was completely empty! I jacked up the car and checked the plug, and it was in, but the crush washer was sitting on the ground. As I was refilling the oil, this jerk is laughing and said "It looks like your oil done run out!" as he was driving past. So "someone" drained the oil. I put the crush washer back on the plug, refilled the oil, and tried to drive it. But when I got on the highway, the engine quickly overheated since it had no coolant. I immediately stopped, let the engine cool, and filled the radiator with water. It's not making any bad noises and it's not running hot, but now the engine doesn't quite feel right. I can't explain it, maybe I'm just paranoid. So my question is if I would immediately know if something was damaged from this. I'm really worried now.
So, this person that must really dislike you at some point (night or day) jacked up your car, used buckets to catch the oil and coolant or was oil and coolant all over ground/concrete under your car? Do you live in apartment building? Any witnesses? Did you do anything previously to **** that dude off?

Move to Chattanooga...Memphis sucks..lol
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Sounds like a repeat offender. Have you told the cops about all these incidents? Do you have any friends that park in the same lot? Have the camera in their car. Check the surrounding parking lots/businesses see if anyone has cameras on the area.

Could be wrong but since the KKK is considered a very racist organization and depending on your ethnicity you might have grounds for getting it ruled a "hate crime" which drastically changes how the cops respond to the situation especially if you can get it caught on video.
I am not of color, so the KKK thing wasn’t intended towards me. However, there are quite a few people of color that live in this apartment complex, so I covered it with a sticker so I don’t offend anyone or cause problems since I’m not a racist. But I did tell the cops about everything. They said they can’t do anything since I don’t have proof of who is doing this. However, the police officer also said that they have had problems with this man vandalizing people’s property in the past, although he wasn’t specific. Also, putting a dash cam in a friend’s car is a great idea. I haven’t thought of that. I’ll get another camera and try that. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

on my FORD the factory had coolant running through an EGR plate immediately behind the throttle body (picture it as a 2" throttle body spacer). IDK how the egr in your honda is routed, but it is not for heating the TB in winter, it prevents excessive heat as the EGR gas is hot and that is where it enters the intake. the coolant passing through it keeps that at a reasonable temperature(in a mustang anyways). just food for thought.

see the post by Joel. he is seen more or less as a guru. http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=29072.0

Last edited by RobertD; 05-23-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
So, this person that must really dislike you at some point (night or day) jacked up your car, used buckets to catch the oil and coolant or was oil and coolant all over ground/concrete under your car? Do you live in apartment building? Any witnesses? Did you do anything previously to **** that dude off?

Move to Chattanooga...Memphis sucks..lol
Yes, I live in an apartment. There are no witnesses either. This person must have used a bucket to catch the oil and coolant. There were only a few drops of oil under the car. And he’s pissed off at me because I called the police on him for repeatedly making an insane amount of noise with his riced Cavalier in the middle of the night. This moron literally drives through the apartment complex and revs the hell out of his car at about 1:00 in the morning. He literally rolls through with the clutch in and bounces off the rev limiter. After 2 weeks of this, I called the police on him and the police gave him a ticket for excessive noise. That’s when this started.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
on my FORD the factory had coolant running through an EGR plate immediately behind the throttle body (picture it as a 2" throttle body spacer). IDK how the egr in your honda is routed, but besides heating the TB in winter, it also prevents excessive heat as the EGR gas is hot and that is where it enters the intake. the coolant passing through it keeps that at a reasonable temperature(in a mustang anyways). just food for thought.

see the post by Joel. he is seen more or less as a guru. http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=29072.0
Interesting. So it’s basically an exhaust to water heat exchanger on your car?
Old 05-23-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Yes, I live in an apartment. There are no witnesses either. This person must have used a bucket to catch the oil and coolant. There were only a few drops of oil under the car. And he’s pissed off at me because I called the police on him for repeatedly making an insane amount of noise with his riced Cavalier in the middle of the night. This moron literally drives through the apartment complex and revs the hell out of his car at about 1:00 in the morning. He literally rolls through with the clutch in and bounces off the rev limiter. After 2 weeks of this, I called the police on him and the police gave him a ticket for excessive noise. That’s when this started.
How would he know it's you that called the cops on him?

Find others in your complex that are pissed at this turd and collectively give him a solid beat-down his parents never did.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Interesting. So it’s basically an exhaust to water heat exchanger on your car?
yes. it prevents the EGR from super-heating the intake. since i have no longer have EGR, i just leave the lines (to the brass nipples) unhooked. my EGR valve would be where the two nickel sized holes are between the two black studs. there was never any mention of the coolant having to do with helping in winter, only to cool things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	112240
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
How would he know it's you that called the cops on him?
I guess they told him who it was.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

yes. it prevents the EGR from super-heating the intake. since i have no longer have EGR, i just leave the lines (to the brass nipples) unhooked. my EGR valve would be where the two nickel sized holes are between the two black studs. there was never any mention of the coolant having to do with helping in winter, only to cool things.

Attachment 112240
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

if he lives with his parents you might go talk to them. i do this sometimes and not only does it work, it's hysterical. i'd have so much fun getting even with that guy in very strange ways.. i'm a little jealous
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Amazing what a 3 second squirt of canned window seal foam will do to quiet down an exhaust if applied directly inside the exit tubes.
Old 05-23-2018
Registered!!

if he lives with his parents you might go talk to them. i do this sometimes and not only does it work, it's hysterical. i'd have so much fun getting even with that guy in very strange ways.. i'm a little jealous
He does, but they are just as bad as he is.
Old 05-23-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Dash cam on another car like stated and alarm with tilt and shock sensors wouldn't hurt.

Can you add a camera on your apartment pointing at the car? They are pretty cheap these days with good image quality.
Old 05-25-2018
Registered!!

Should I adjust my MAP sensor voltage?

As you know, my POS has been running rich for several years, and I can't figure out why. So I think I am simply going to install a potentiometer on my MAP sensor signal wire so I can basically tune the engine. If I reduce MAP sensor signal voltage, in theory, the PCM should quit running it rich and advance the timing a little, right?
Old 05-26-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Should I adjust my MAP sensor voltage?

Probably clogged/faulty O2 sensors.

But give her a go and let us know if it worked.
Old 05-26-2018
Registered!!

if you adjust the map so your fuel trim is neither positive or negative, the car will still be running exactly the same, the only difference is you are tweaking what the MAP reports to the computer so it does not have the fuel trim correcting things. your AFR will still be exactly where it is now because the o2's are ultimately what keeps them there. you can adjust the map so the trim correction is not needed and you get numbers closer to no correction needed, but why? you're adding wiring and complexity to a very simple system and there is no good that will come from it, other than you might feel better seeing the fuel trim numbers change.

read here where it says Base Fuel www.efidynotuning.com/fuel.htm

i would have a new fuel pump, new o2's, new exhaust gaskets, new MAP, and a complete fresh tuneup with everything from plugs and wires to inspecting and perfecting ground connections before bothering.

personally i hate potentiometers. the reading they provide changes based on temperature, age, load, etc. i have potentiometers in my DeRale fan controllers and i have to mess with them weekly to get them to stay accurate. i would just leave it alone and not create a bandaid to a possibly non existent problem. even if it is a real problem, the only outcome to doing what you want will be a car that runs exactly the same but shows the fuel trim how you want it. there's no point, you'll just be twisting a **** constantly trying to get the car to run right. it doesn't sound like an upgrade or a fix. it sounds like a headache, a nightmare, one more thing to constantly try to adjust.
Old 05-26-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
Probably clogged/faulty O2 sensors.

But give her a go and let us know if it worked.
I changed it and it still does the same thing.
Old 05-26-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I changed it and it still does the same thing.
changed O2 sensors or the map sensor?
Old 05-27-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
changed O2 sensors or the map sensor?
Both.
Old 05-27-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Why not figure out why it's running rich?
Does it actually set a rich code?

I'd try to find where you previously posted specifics about the issue but I'm not sifting through 132 threads and almost 900 posts you've made to find it.
Old 05-27-2018
Registered!!

Why not figure out why it's running rich?
Does it actually set a rich code?

I'd try to find where you previously posted specifics about the issue but I'm not sifting through 132 threads and almost 900 posts you've made to find it.
Yes, it actually sets a P0172 code every few months. And I tried to figure out why, but I haven't been successful. What details are asking about specifically?
Old 05-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

No other codes set as well for the MAP, EGR, VTEC or HO2S sensors correct?
Check the fuel pressure. If too high check fuel pressure regulator and the fuel return line. If too low, check fuel pump, the fuel line, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator.
Check Primary HO2S sensor - you said you replaced.
Connect vacuum pump to EVAP canister purge valve on canister side. Disconnect 2P connector. Start engine. If vacuum on the gauge, replace EVAP canister purge valve. If no vacuum, check valve clearances and adjust if needed. If valve clearance OK, look at the injectors.
Old 05-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

His issues are beyond scope.

He is not using stock intake , intake manifold, or injectors or exhaust manifold or right pcm or right spark plugs or the right other parts.

I suggested he gets a adjustable fuel pressure regulator months ago since he has a Frankenstein setup and besides Programmable PCM that’s about all he can do.. well except hack a feedback sensor I suppose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave