View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Torque converter question

Originally Posted by ezone
On this particular engine, at what RPM does peak torque occur?
According to Wikipedia, a stock D17A makes its peak torque of 118 ft lbs at 4800 RPM. But with my cam, intake, header, and exhaust upgrades, peak torque likely occurs at a higher RPM than stock.
Old 12-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Out of curiosity, I temporarily wired a switch to lock and unlock the torque converter at will.
Elaborate how you did it

According to Wikipedia, a stock D17A makes its peak torque of 118 ft lbs at 4800 RPM. But with my cam, intake, header, and exhaust upgrades, peak torque likely occurs at a higher RPM than stock.
does those mods work as good as a bigger throttle boy in an auto trans?
Old 12-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

wow, so if it says what you want it to be, you can't discern BS?
You won't listen to us because we are saying it's BS, but if it says what you want it to be, you will listen to it?
What are you doing in here then?
trolling?
Old 12-15-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Elaborate how you did it

does those mods work as good as a bigger throttle boy in an auto trans?
No, the mods I did work better than a bigger throttle body since they aren't causing problems. And as for how I wired the switch, what I did is I found the lockup solenoid, the solenoid on top of the transmission under the thermostat housing. I disconnected the plug, and connected it to an extra solenoid I had so the PCM didn't set a code and go into limp mode. Then I used lamp wire, and I connected one end of it to a switch. I connected the one of the 2 wires to an extra plug I have that connects to the solenoid, and the other wire to the positive fusebox terminal. Then I grounded the remaining wire to the block. That allows me to manually lock and unlock the torque converter for testing purposes without causing the car to go into limp mode.
Old 12-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

if your tests are as good as the test new threads you create in the forums to be accepted, I worry about the test methods and your ability to discern the test results. If you can only accept results that you want it to be, a test is invalid.
I do remember that your brain simply skipped a portion of a video you posted, simply because it contradicted what you wanted it to be.

same reason you skipped my earlier inquiry about why you are still on auto trans car.
Old 12-16-2018
Registered!!

Re: Cheap sound system upgrade

Well I decided to upgrade the speaker wires to 16 gauge for educational purposes. Also, when I eventually upgrade my speakers and head unit, I don't have to think about the wires, because I know that I wired it with good wire. And yes, it was a pain in the *** to run all new wire. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 12-17-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

should have moved your speakers below the rear deck while you were doing all of that work.
now you get to spend half a day ripping the back half of the car apart to get to them
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
should have moved your speakers below the rear deck while you were doing all of that work.
now you get to spend half a day ripping the back half of the car apart to get to them
I didn't need to take the rear speakers out to upgrade the wiring.
Old 12-17-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

No, but you said you want to upgrade them.
and if you ran the wires properly you would have had a bunch of trim removed. You could have taken an extra couple of steps and popped the rear trim off and put the speakers below the deck.
That way when you do upgrade them it's only a 20 min job
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

No, but you said you want to upgrade them.
and if you ran the wires properly you would have had a bunch of trim removed. You could have taken an extra couple of steps and popped the rear trim off and put the speakers below the deck.
That way when you do upgrade them it's only a 20 min job
You are correct, I needed to remove a bunch of trim. I didn't think of moving the speakers, but that probably would have been a good idea.
Old 12-18-2018

I'm upgrading mine in a couple months, I replaced my trunk + fuel cable on sunday, I had almost everything removed to get at the speakers so I removed a couple more pieces of trim and then moved the speakers into the trunk
Old 12-19-2018
Registered!!

Re: How much faster with a 5 speed?

What difference would I notice when I swap from the 5 speed having an LSD instead of an open diff like the auto has? Better traction on snowy and wet roads?
Old 12-20-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alternator vs. no alternator MPG test

Did you check it again after plugging the connector back in??

Also 50 miles isn't much of a test. Even when using the same pump any small errors will change you're results.

I know you can't do this but a full tank would be better to really see any changes.
Old 12-20-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The 5 speed manual does not have an LSD.
Old 12-20-2018
Registered!!

Re: Alternator vs. no alternator MPG test

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy
Did you check it again after plugging the connector back in??

Also 50 miles isn't much of a test. Even when using the same pump any small errors will change you're results.

I know you can't do this but a full tank would be better to really see any changes.
Great point! I redid the test with the belt completely off, and the gain was still around 9%. I would love to do a longer test, like maybe 200 miles, but I am not willing to discharge my battery much more than a 50 mile trip because I don't want to shorten the life of my battery or get stranded.
Old 12-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
The 5 speed manual does not have an LSD.
According to my owners manual it does.
Old 12-20-2018

Maybe the SI with a K20, but not the D series cars. I had a vtec and a non-vtec trans in my gold car and neither of them had an LSD
Old 12-20-2018
Registered!!

Maybe the SI with a K20, but not the D series cars. I had a vtec and a non-vtec trans in my gold car and neither of them had an LSD
Weird. My owners manual says that the 5 speed has an LSD.
Old 12-20-2018

post a picture with the page number
Old 12-20-2018
Registered!!

post a picture with the page number
The camera on my phone isn't working for some reason, but it's page 182. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...u/CV0505OM.PDF
Old 12-20-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

The camera on my phone isn't working for some reason, but it's page 182. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...u/CV0505OM.PDF
Maybe overseas but the US civic's did not have an LSD that I know of.

It also does not say you have an LSD just that it can damage it.
Old 12-20-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Maybe overseas but the US civic's did not have an LSD that I know of.

It also does not say you have an LSD just that it can damage it.
It says "On models with manual transmission, do not drive for a long period with the compact spare tire mounted on a front wheel; it will damage the limited slip differential." In my opinion, "it will damage the limited slip differential" implies that it has one. If it didn't have one, it couldn't be damaged.
Old 12-20-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,298 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Not even the US Si had an LSD. As far as I'm aware only the Euro Type R had one.
Old 12-20-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It implies this but that does not make it fact.

Maybe the Integra had one but probably just the Type R stuff.

My GTI doesn't even have an LSD!

Edit: Civic Si might have an electronic version type of LSD.
Edit : 9th gen Si has helical lsd.

Last edited by GolNat; 12-20-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2018

It's probably just generic verbage that is left in there. I bet the manual for my girlfriend's '99 says the same thing
Old 12-20-2018
Registered!!

It's probably just generic verbage that is left in there. I bet the manual for my girlfriend's '99 says the same thing
Maybe. I just find it odd that they specify manual transmissions only.
Old 12-20-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

It does have an LSD for LSD users. Swap it in.
It works if you believe in it enough

PS: Important info - it won't work if you verbalize it. You must keep this confidential. If you say ti to anyone else, it won't work. Say it only inside your own mind.
Old 12-21-2018

well who in their right mind would put one in an automatic?
remember this is an economy car
Old 12-21-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It says "On models with manual transmission, do not drive for a long period with the compact spare tire mounted on a front wheel; it will damage the limited slip differential." In my opinion, "it will damage the limited slip differential" implies that it has one. If it didn't have one, it couldn't be damaged.
It should be really easy to verify if your particular car actually has LSD. Or not.
Old 12-21-2018
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

The owners manual is flat out wrong. The car doesn't have a limited diff from the factory. I don't recall if 2006 SI had them the first year or not, but NO US market civics had it prior to the 06 generation of civics.

If you truly want limited slip google phrases such as "torsen limited slip" or "Quaife" which is a company that makes lifetime warranty torque biasing differentials. You do NOT have limited slip on a factory built 1.7 civic. Regardless of anything else you may or may not find on the internet the underlined sentence is a true statement.

Once again if you want a faster car that is also reliable buy the 2.0 SI that hasn't been molested and then leave it alone.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave