Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

5th gear wont go in

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
5th gear wont go in

im really hoping there is some easy fix for this.. it will not shift into 5th gear.. its got honda trans fluid in it , up to the filler hole... i lubed up the shift linkages under the hood and under the console... clutch appears to be bled properly... does anyone know a fix for this? aside from pulling the tranny out and rebuilding it?

while driving the car when i try to put it in 5th it just grinds.

Last edited by 310civicEX; 02-14-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Re: 5th gear wont go in

found this... its a start

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...s-problem.html
Old 02-14-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Shifter cable/pivot ball issue?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...n-dilemma.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...-problems.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...d-answers.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...fter-part.html

How to replace the cables:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...placement.html
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
from another thread
That sucker is broke, you have to buy a new shifter to fix it. Lubing doesn't help the fact that the ball is split in half.

Pretty cheap, considering what it is.

A little over $50 from Majestic. Probably a bit higher in Canada.
https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/v-2002-honda-civic-sedan--ex--5-speed-manual/chassis--shift-lever
so the part in question is #1 the whole assembly?

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...s--shift-lever
Old 02-14-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

looks so to me, did you check yours yet?
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
looks so to me, did you check yours yet?
not yet... i suspect thats it though... its a PITA to get it to go in reverse also... i basically just saved this car.. replaced almost everything on it..lol "alot of doner cars nearby"
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

im actually glad to see the split.... now to track down the part.....btw..anyone successfully "rig" some way to glue the ball at the end? resin? epoxy? jb weld?
Old 02-16-2018
Registered!!

lever sub-assy., change - honda (54100-s5a-003)

Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

this sounds crazy but i super glued the ball closed. stays closed even when forcing into reverse... appears to be working as a temp fix... but i believe the problem is the cable. i disconnect the shifter sub assembly and pull the cable by hand and it is very hard to go in reverse.. i move the cable around reposition it and i can put in reverse with no resistance.. im thinking its the cable thats bad...but do they actually go bad? at first i thought it was kinked up somewhere or possibly caught in the rear engine mount when i put all the mounts back in..
Old 03-01-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but i believe the problem is the cable. i disconnect the shifter sub assembly and pull the cable by hand and it is very hard to go in reverse.. i move the cable around reposition it and i can put in reverse with no resistance..
STOP NOW!

Raise at least one of the front wheels wheels in the air before you try to judge how well it shifts, or rock the car back and forth with your knees as you try to move shift linkage under the hood by hand. Or jam the clutch pedal to the floor, or have someone hold the clutch pedal on the floor for you (best).

You were probably feeling a lot of resistance sometimes because when a shift is made (engine OFF and car sitting still) the gears have to rotate a bit in order for the teeth to slide and mesh together, but you're trying to force gears into mesh when you try to shift sitting still, because the engine will not rotate and the wheels will not rotate, so the gears are butting teeth sometimes instead of sliding together smoothly (depending on the positions of the teeth that have to slide together).

im thinking its the cable thats bad...but do they actually go bad?
Once in a while. Not very often IMO.
If your shift lever has full travel left and right in neutral, the corresponding cable should have the same full movement and be ok.

If your shift lever moves through the other 4 forward gears and reverse ok, the other cable for fore-aft movement should be ok.

That leaves 5th gear that grinds, and that's not likely to be a cable issue....because the two cables were just proven they can move plenty far enough to reach 5th.

when i try to put it in 5th it just grinds
Engine OFF, can you shift it into 5th? (if all the gear teeth have been ground off, it may not be able to go)

I think your trans needs to come out and split apart. 5th gear and its slider/hub assembly are probably worn out or maybe the blocker ring cracked, along with checking the rest of the usual inspections like fork wear and whatnot....

Bigger question has to be, what caused 5th gear to be ruined?
Was it the fault of the split pivot ball?
Someone missed a shift?-----jammed it from 2nd to 5th with a lot of force on accident, that can crack the ring

Last edited by ezone; 03-01-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: lots of edits
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

this seems to be pretty complex.. in my laimans (?) terms i can use 3 examples of shifting.. 1. cable disconnected it goes into 5th and reverse perfect just by manually moving the linkage on the trans case... 2. shift cable connected at the trans i can pull the cables and get the same result as pulling levers directly.."unless cable is in a certain position it binds and difficult to shift.. 3 everything connected "pivot ball super glued and no split" reverse binds and tremendous strain on pivot ball..

also when i put in reverse manually without cable or shifter hooked up it goes in reverse easy and i can let off clutch and roll back. the 5th grinding was also a symptom of that same binding.. and since it doesnt separate anymore 5th appears to be fine now.. i really need to get under there and see if i kinked up the cable or something.. i wonder would it be ok to lube the cable up ?
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Very possible one or more strands broke inside the sleeve and bind up in just a certain way.
Also possible you ran over something that crushed/kinked the cable a little.

First I would rotate the outer sheath 180 degrees, test for any change in resistance then I would consider trying to regrease the cable, they are not cheap.

Based on what you said though, a new cable would likely make your shifts feel sexy again.