Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Gear lever rattle in 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03c1v1c is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear lever rattle in 5th gear

Hi all, I've been getting this intermittent (maybe 25% of the time I'm in 5th), nagging rattle coming from the shift boot area of my 03 LX, only when in 5th gear. There's a bit of play (maybe an inch tops, haven't measured) and as I push the lever up the rattling dissipates, but re-emerges as I gently let the lever rest in place. I've also noticed 5th gear being a bit rougher to shift into compared to the other gears (reverse is also problematic sometimes). I plan on doing MTF drain and fill pretty soon, on top of clutch fluid exchange. However, I know those fluid exchanges won't get rid of the rattling. Would new shifter bushings resolve this? If so, are those easy to replace for a mostly competent shade tree mechanic? This is the first manual I have ever owned so this will be new to me.
Old 02-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Gear lever rattle in 5th gear

Sounds like you already know what to do, new bushings will definately help the sloppy shifts and might tighten things up enough to stop the rattle as well.

Only apples I can offer is that the plastic is brittle at this point so be extra careful popping things off and the shifter cables are a twist lock mount.
Old 02-07-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

an inch of play is pretty significant replace the bushings
Old 02-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03c1v1c is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Sounds like you already know what to do, new bushings will definately help the sloppy shifts and might tighten things up enough to stop the rattle as well.

Only apples I can offer is that the plastic is brittle at this point so be extra careful popping things off and the shifter cables are a twist lock mount.
Any recommended set?
Old 02-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Oh I am the worst one to ask that from.

If I was having this problem I would likely end up replacing everything from the gear shift ball to the clutch oh wait the rear engine seal..