Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Lugnut stripped...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slicer1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lugnut stripped...

My 99 Civic LX has a stripped lugnut, the shop tried taking it off and ended up stripping it... Not the lugnut itself, but the stud. It just spins in the hub assembly (Couldn't get it off completely) and now it won't tighten, so it's just floating around in the wheel... So my question is, what's the best least damaging way to get it off? Probably gonna have to destroy my hub cap and cut it off. But can I replace just the stud? or do I need to replace the whole assembly?
Old 01-26-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Lugnut stripped...

Front or rear ?

Rears are straightforward on Hondas..... Fronts not so much.
Old 01-26-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Front or rear ?

Rears are straightforward on Hondas..... Fronts not so much.

Front passenger side. Forgot to mention that...

I gotta get that wheel off because that tire is just about ready to die.
Old 01-26-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry for lack of help.... hope one of the mechanics will chime in. Honda made changing out the front studs less than simple though.
Old 01-26-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the fronts, most likely you will need to remove the hub to get them out... replace bearing while at it? and put new studs?
Old 01-27-2018
Registered!!

I got it off, It was backed out enough I was able to just put my 4-way lug wrench on it and break it off...
Old 01-27-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

great!

normally, you would need to remove the hub
Old 01-27-2018
Registered!!

I'm gonna have to anyways, I can't ride around with 3 lugnuts forever.
Old 01-27-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

a shop stripped my studs once too...
and did not want to take responsibility... took a year to find a shop that would actually take the job.

took two days for them...
Old 01-27-2018
Registered!!

The shop I went to wouldn't... They wanted to replace the hub, bearings, caliper, rotor and pads just to replace a stud they stripped... I told em to eat **** and take responsibility for what they did, and the guy was like that wasn't our fault, blah blah... and when the mechanic drove it around, here said even with me 1200ft lb tool wouldn't get it off....
Old 01-27-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and the guy was like that wasn't our fault, blah blah...

If it jammed and stripped or broke during disassembly, the last person who installed (and overtightened) the lugnut is usually the person to blame.

However....some shops won't operate that way, some lack integrity, some egos won't allow some people to admit fault, and lack of understanding of basic mechanical principles causes many others to not believe they could ever be at fault.

If it's been a long while since the car was at that shop, or if you are a floater (one who 'floats' around to various shops, not sticking with a single shop) then they may balk at taking care of it because they can't be positive nobody else touched it since they last had the car....plus it costs them money and time.
So think carefully about who else could also have removed and installed the wheels.

Much of the time, a new stud can be installed without removing the hub from the knuckle and bearing. You sometimes have to be creative to get it done though.
Other times it's impossible to replace a stud without pulling the hub.....and I don't want to guess at what yours is like without seeing it up close first.
Old 01-28-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

found it - there is a link to a DIY here.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...eel-studs.html

some additional info from ezone here as well.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ease-help.html