Gonzo. - Page 103 - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2009   #3061  
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Page 200 = New Video! - Page 200 - The Speedfoos' Turbo Thread!!

^cool

yeah the PRB calibration will only work if you have a factory wideband wired into the k-pro for it to read. the PRA uses a special logarithm taken from the European civic type r to run the map but in that case you have to run the primary o2 sensor to the secondary o2 sensor position. I run open loop all the time but there is split seconds in the map were it hit's closed loop so the wires do need to be moved. even though you don't run closed loop.

I have a feeling that andy accidentally sent you the wrong map I think he might of sent you the failed wideband conversion map we were messing with.

As for your gm air sensor this further proves that there is a connection between honda and gm. supposedly from good source's the gm ecotech motor is made by honda and so far no one has been able to credibly deny this. hmmm

good luck with it you got my help any time.
Old 01-25-2009   #3062  
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

So yeah. The facts.

The MAP sensor blew out of the IM at 7000 RPMs and around 18 psi, detonation ensued and subsequently caused one of two (or both) things.

1. Bent valves.
2. Damaged rings and/or ringlands.

The pressure had to go somewhere when it detonated. It definitely went up and around some valves, and I'm certain it went down as well, it's just a matter of how hard it went down. My ring gap was pretty large to start with and the pistons are forged so that's two things in favor of the pistons not being damaged. It's not knocking, from what I can see of the pistons down through the plug tubes, everything looks OK. The rotating assembly spins freely.

If it's just valves, I will replace as many as necessary and put it back on the road, a little bit wiser and (maybe) a little more cautious. If the rotating assembly is damaged, she's going down the river as it's not worth the time, effort, and money to build a new short block.

She ran like a ****ing raped ape before the MAP sensor blew out. The first test drive only had a minor hitch. Vac driving was smooth as butter, a second gear boost pull into 3rd went off without a hitch. I came off a stop sign, pounded into second and had a charge pipe blow off. So I drove it home in vacuum and put the charge pipe back on and cinched things down.

Took her back out and got on it. Animal. Kpro is unbelievable. Pulling wicked hard, smooth boost transition - nowhere near as violent as the piggyback - I mashed it in 3rd while still in vacuum and the AFRs dipped to 13.5 until the turbo spooled and then she was solid around 11.75 in boost. I did this again and the tires broke loose at around 6000 RPMs. In third. At like 55mph. Wow. Was on the phone with Adam and nailed it again in 3rd and was winding it out at fullish boost (18 psi ish) at the fun end of the tach when the MAP sensor blew off the IM.

And that's where I am now. If I hadn't gotten that short taste of how well the car was running I would already have started the part out. Even so, it took Andy and Adam talking me into doing the compression test and checking the valves before doing anything else. Thanks guys.

More to come this weekend......
Old 01-25-2009   #3063  
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

DAMMMMM!!! If you need my help I'm there for you man.

So have you done the compression test yet? And what are the results?

There is another possibility that when it detonated it did not bend the valves or screw up the piston. I have had this happen before. All I had to do was re-seat all the valves. some times the detonation will just knock the valves off there seats.

Keep me up to date on everything.ROUGH
Old 01-25-2009   #3064  
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough

Keep hanging on Clint...not worth giving up this far in. Let us know when you get some info on the diagnosis!
Old 01-25-2009   #3065  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomerman19 View Post
DAMMMMM!!! If you need my help I'm there for you man.

So have you done the compression test yet? And what are the results?

There is another possibility that when it detonated it did not bend the valves or screw up the piston. I have had this happen before. All I had to do was re-seat all the valves. some times the detonation will just knock the valves off there seats.

Keep me up to date on everything.ROUGH
Naw Paul, no compression test yet. Once again, I ran out of weekend to keep working on it.

When I checked the lash, #3 exhaust valves had no lash. I adjusted them and kept going. When I was done I ran through each cylinder and checked them again. #3 exhaust valves had no lash again. Re-adjusted and then ran through them all again. Lash was fine after the second adjustment. Got it started and she wouldn't run for ****. I actually had to fill the IM with propane to get it to start (don't laugh too hard, it works!) but was only able to get to idle for like 20 seconds and then it died. Definitely some bent valves at least.

I'll know for sure what's wrong next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakertime View Post
Keep hanging on Clint...not worth giving up this far in. Let us know when you get some info on the diagnosis!
Will do. I'll post back up on Saturday with what I find.
Old 01-25-2009   #3066  
Registered!!

sounds like there bent but only slighty not enough to destroy the bottom end. Hopefully it's just valves that would be my guess.
Old 01-26-2009   #3067  
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm hoping its just valves too. At least you got to feel what it will be like once you get everything dialed in. Let me know if you just need an extra hand with anything bro. oh finally moved into the new house too bro. just need to un pack alot of things and thats it.
Old 01-31-2009   #3068  

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2009   #3069  
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough

Weiiiird. Doesn't detonation usually occur near the outside of the pistons first? For that to be in the center seems a little odd, as it seems me that it's the coolest part of the piston before ignition via the spark plug.

Did you do a compression test before you pulled it all apart?

I'm unsure as to how your map sensor is attached, but did it have any screws or anything that had pieces missing? Maybe something made it in to the cylinders, particularly #3.
Old 01-31-2009   #3070  

Naw, I bought a leakdown tester not a compression tester. Such is life I guess. I'm going to pull the pistons out tomorrow and look at the ringlands. Something isn't right, but nothing is missing from anything anywhere.
Old 01-31-2009   #3071  
Registered!!

supafil25 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
are those marks or what ever they are smooth or gashed into the mani?
Old 01-31-2009   #3072  

They wiped out with my finger. That's the head you're looking at as well. I didn't check the mani. I'll have a look at it in the morning.
Old 01-31-2009   #3073  
Registered!!

was it shavings?
Old 01-31-2009   #3074  
Registered!!

Yeah, I'd check the mani for sure...I was wondering if the rings contributed also. That seems like the only other thing.

Harbor Freight compression tester is like $9...you may want to pick one of them up! Just used mine last weekend with success. Did you do a leakdown before pulling it apart? I'm asking because if cyl 3 had excessive leakage, that might be helpful in diagnosis. If the valves and HG were good, then you can at least be more confident in the rings being an issue before you yank it all apart.

It's just so odd how all 4 cylinders have the exact same marking, and yet only 1 has those flecks in the exhaust.
Old 02-01-2009   #3075  

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafil25 View Post
was it shavings?
I don't think so, there was nothing but soot on my finger afterwards. I'll check here in a little bit after I make my run at all the forums.

Quote:
Yeah, I'd check the mani for sure...I was wondering if the rings contributed also. That seems like the only other thing.
Yeah, I'm going to this morning. Something is definitely up.

Quote:
Harbor Freight compression tester is like $9...you may want to pick one of them up! Just used mine last weekend with success.
I love HF for that kind of stuff, my leakdown tester was only $30.

Quote:
Did you do a leakdown before pulling it apart? I'm asking because if cyl 3 had excessive leakage, that might be helpful in diagnosis. If the valves and HG were good, then you can at least be more confident in the rings being an issue before you yank it all apart.

It's just so odd how all 4 cylinders have the exact same marking, and yet only 1 has those flecks in the exhaust.
Quote:
I didn't do a leakdown test because they need to be done when the car is warm and since mine doesn't run, I didn't do it.

So yeah, pistons are about to come out as soon as I find my rod bolt sleeves, drink a cup of coffee, and check the new threads on 7GH and d-series.
Old 02-01-2009   #3076  

Buh bye.

Old 02-01-2009   #3077  
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about

Wow Clint! I just started reading from when your MAP sensor exploded. Man, my heart was pounding with anticipation in finding out what was wrong! My *** was on the edge of my seat until I read that your internals appeared to be fine. After you get things running great you need to write a damn book about this roller coaster ride!
Old 02-01-2009   #3078  
Registered!!

so how much boost are you going to run once its all assembled again?
take me for a ride?
Old 02-01-2009   #3079  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang5884 View Post
Wow Clint! I just started reading from when your MAP sensor exploded. Man, my heart was pounding with anticipation in finding out what was wrong! My *** was on the edge of my seat until I read that your internals appeared to be fine. After you get things running great you need to write a damn book about this roller coaster ride!
LOL - at the very least I'm going to build my website and document everything to have it all in one place Scott. I've got a Word document with every post that I update with my progress so I don't lose anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafil25 View Post
so how much boost are you going to run once its all assembled again?
take me for a ride?
As much as 93 octane can handle without detonation.

You come to North Carolina, you can drive it.
Old 02-01-2009   #3080  
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

sweet so i can drive it?? lol
Old 02-01-2009   #3081  
Registered!!

Quote:
As much as 93 octane can handle without detonation.

You come to North Carolina, you can drive it.
next time i visit my brother in SC ill stop by.
Old 02-01-2009   #3082  

Just let me knoow. Hopefully the car won't be up on jackstands!

Last edited by speedfoos; 02-02-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-01-2009   #3083  
Registered!!

ArjoonKumar will become famous soon enough

nice use of a sock hehe
Old 02-02-2009   #3084  

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinop1405 View Post
sweet so i can drive it?? lol
When it's ready, yes. That way you will stop trying to sell those parts and go turbo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjoonKumar View Post
nice use of a sock hehe
I love my socks. Very versatile.
Old 02-02-2009   #3085  
Registered!!

well thats cool. but i doubt that i'll stop selling the parts, but who knows.
Old 02-07-2009   #3086  

Buh bye.

Old 02-08-2009   #3087  

Buh bye.

Last edited by speedfoos; 12-10-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-08-2009   #3088  
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough

love the picture instructions.....keep that going
Old 02-08-2009   #3089  
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough

love teh pictures period.
Old 02-09-2009   #3090  
Registered!!

JDM EJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point

EM's are lookin' so sexy to me now! Seriously, not a hugely popular platform, but its bound to turn heads if builds like this keep coming around!

Closed Thread