Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Hayame Coilovers V.2.0 - a VERY long wait!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004
All Eyes On Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Hayame Coilovers V.2.0 - a VERY long wait!

Okay, today I received a new set of Hayame coilovers. Instead of receiving the rears only, I got a completely new set of them front and back. I do not have time to take pics of them now so expect some later tonight possibly. It looks like Hayame of Japan went through some R&D because the new coilovers look a bit different (which is why I've decided to call them Version 2.0)

For starters - the front arms for the tie rods now look like the stock ones but I dunno how this will effect the tie rods yet. The fronts appear as if they will now use the stock bolts for the brake lines so no more zip ties! The uppermount design has changed (it spins freely - I don't know what that means) as well as the locking nuts which use new spanner wrenches. The spring isolators are black rubber instead of a transparent plastic. There's also a bolt on the bottom of the strut... and I may be wrong, but the base of this thing seem to be bigger. Last but not least the spring #s for the front are 0700.2.50.008

In spite of the new locking nuts and spring isolator, the rears look almost unchanged. The bottom collar that holds the strut looks and feels a lil' different - maybe even a little longer. Otherwise, it's the same with a completely different spring #: 0135.63.5.010

What else can I add. Noah from SPW/Hayame offered me excellent customer service. I received a new set of coilovers at the cost of the old ones (which have to be returned). He also sent me carbon fiber Hayame pedals for my ride. (HAY.14.12.01.7, lol)

When can we expect these to be on my ride? Hopefully tomorrow and a review next week. Stay tuned.
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

HelloPanda03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't wait for the review!
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Sound good! Do you know the ph# for SPW/Hayame? What information do I need to give them to replace my hayame?
Old 06-11-2004
All Eyes On Z

Originally Posted by dacivic
Sound good! Do you know the ph# for SPW/Hayame? What information do I need to give them to replace my hayame?
E-mail from Mike:

Thanks for your patience. Hayame is now requesting that customers
either send back their defective coilovers first or call and put a
credit card on hold in case they don't get the defective rears back. If
you would like to get in contact with them please call Noah at
323-268-8382. Again I apologize for the trouble and thank you for your
continued support of this product even through all the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Michael
www.urbanimport.com
919-383-4605
Hayame/SPW's Website is http://www.hayameperformance.com

I'll make a note that if you have nothing but Hayame suspension for your car, you do have the option to have them charge you via credit card you for the new set. Once they receive the old set, they will refund the charge to your card.

Last edited by SlammedBlueEM2; 06-11-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Hmmmm....I think I got this same batch. I received mine yesterday as well and the top DOES spin freely. I'll check my part numbers tomorrow, as it's 5 am and I need sleep.
Old 06-12-2004
All Eyes On Z

Got some pictures - though I should be in bed. I gotta host a Civic meet in about 6 hours from now.

First...

Version 1.0 - OLD

Version 2.0 - NEW

I forgot to post a pic of the new ABS bracket. Don't worry, more to come.

The point of this thread is to see if we can turn this:

Current Hayame settings due to rear unable to go lower.

Into this (pic of when I had my old Ground Control set-up):

Last edited by SlammedBlueEM2; 06-12-2004 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2004
Registered!!

GaryC17 is an unknown quantity at this point
The version 2.0 looks so much better. Finally a steering arm that is sturdy and close to stock. I have tried another brand of coils similar to version 1 and it sucks !!! The damn perpendicular arm design just sucks. It causes severe bumpsteer and a car that rides like a boat !! Ditch them !
Old 06-12-2004
Registered!!

ZdS03Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
dude your car is super squeaky clean in that last picture
Old 06-12-2004
All Eyes On Z

Kinda OT but I took that picture after a cruise and after having a lil' fun/cruise with a slammed 6th Gen hatch. I used to work at Lowe's so I went there during graveyard hours and made a photoshoot. Car was still squeaky clean.
Old 06-12-2004
Registered!!

matrix311 is on a distinguished road
Well i have that 2nd batch of Hayames and I have an 04. I've had troubles getting them installed. I had to drill out that lower hole unorder for them to bolt in, also i'm having difficulty with the tie rod bar. It doesn't want to fit all the way inside allowing me to screw the tie rod all the way on and lock it with a pin. Anyone else having this problem? Other than that i have V2 of the coilovers to, i just got them in on thursday and have spent lastnight and a better part of today trying to do just the front end. It's being a major pain on my '04. But yeah, the way the hole for the tie rod, it's tapered funny so the tie rod bolt wont go in snugly, once again anyone else having this issue with the hayames and if so how did you resolve it?

Any help on that would be great!
Thanks
-Eric
Old 06-12-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
I have a set of these forsale never used. v2 too.

$550 shipped with money order or $565 for paypal with credit card.

Last edited by Derek-CEO; 06-14-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2004
Registered!!

dragchic7681 is an unknown quantity at this point
Guys,

I just got mine yesterday and they look sweet. Just wonder if you guys have instruction for installation. This is my first time playing with this stuff. Please help, Dragchic.
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

here dragchic7681. If you have 03/04 civic you need to drill the hole to 16mm.

http://www.2k1civic.com/forums/showt...ghlight=hayame
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

ELaudio is an unknown quantity at this point
I am very happy with my "version 1" hayames. I guess the version 2 are merely an improvement on an already awesome product. Mind you. it's great to see that Hayame is going through the trouble of improving their products. Most after-market companies settle for putting out a product and leaving it at that.

You may not realize this, but OEM parts go through the same process of continuous improvement. I work in the OEM parts industry, as a Project Engineer, and you'd be amazed at how much a part can change before and after a car hits the market. Our divison makes exterior parts and the ones I'm working on are already at Version 6 and the car won't even hit the market until September of this year (Pontiac G6)...

Hayame
Old 06-13-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Hey ELAudio, come install my Hayames! I have no more money!
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

How much do they charge to install this thing?
I am trying to figure out the price so I can spend that money to buy air tools to do mine. I'm too weak for those lug nuts and little time to turn each of them in/out.

Is there a way to do alighment by yourself too? lol
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

Hey guys,

I just got mine Hayame 2 days ago from manufacture and they sent me the version 1 instead of 2. Do you all know why this v.1 still in production?
Old 06-13-2004
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
oh sh*t thats crazy, talk about customer service...
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dragchic7681
Hey guys,

I just got mine Hayame 2 days ago from manufacture and they sent me the version 1 instead of 2. Do you all know why this v.1 still in production?
Do you have 01,02 or 03,04 civic? If u can come down here I can probaby install them for you. Or other members in maryland can probaby do it for free. Or maybe someone can host somewhere in northern VA and get a diy day. I have v1 and I am not a happy customer. I have clicking in front and can't drop the rear much. I will call next week to get mine replace with the v2 one.
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

Dacivic,

Thanks for the offer but I will have to wait for my rims before I install my Hayame. I also have to wait for my rotors and timing belt too. My car is 90,000+ miles and will needed lots of parts to replace. How many miles on your car?

I got civic 01 LX 4 doors.
Upgraded audio systems to pioneer with mp3 player and cdchanger in the trunk.
Infinity speakers component all 4.
Vinyl seats cover.
M3 mirrors.
Old 06-14-2004
All Eyes On Z

The - Verdict.

Well, unfortunately I have nothing but bad news to bring back after this install.

First of all, I installed this at a meet with a lot of assistance! A guy next to me with an 01 coupe was installing Hayames in the rear but he finished before me and left. His worked fine.

The fronts did not fit. The problem was the hole for the tie rod to go into. It was too small for the bolt to go all the way down in to. I also noticed that the strut also had carved writing on it that seemed to have said "03 CIV". I have an 02 by the way so I dunno.

When I installed the rears? Same issue as with my old rear Hayames. The strut was at the bottom of the collar and would not lower the car anymore. The height did not get any better than before.

Now it's got me wondering:

1. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
2. Is there something wrong with my car?
3. Am I dreaming? I just waited 5 months for this ****.

Check this out. Say you're on stock suspension/lowering springs OR SLEEVED coilovers. When you jack up the car, the wheels drop to the bottom making a huge gap, am I right? Keep that in mind for a second, because I don't think that's supposed to happen with "full-coilovers" that are height adjustable.

Now anyone with full coilovers or Hayames, say you want to lift the front of the car off the ground. The gap is not going to be big as stock because you adjust the height of the car with the strut - so when you look at it, the gap is small - wheel filling the wheel gap.

I noticed something different between my car and the guy's that was next to me when he finished (I didn't have my wheels on to notice any height difference and installation was exactly the same). When he lifts the rear of his car up, the gap is filled. On the ground, he's tucking the tires HARD.

My car, looks like stock when it is lifted and there is a huge gap after the install - WHY? I don't get it. He was even running the same camber kit that I was.

Whenever I install the rear suspension, I always have to have these coilovers at their lowest setting for them to line up. I don't understand why that is, because with the struts being at the bottom of the collar, when it's time to adjust it - it goes nowhere. I can't go lower but I definintely could go higher - higher than stock! Is it my car? Is it a 2002 Civic thing? I don't believe these were RSX coilovers.

I did not drive on the new set of coilovers except to drive straight in the garage and going over a small bump felt like the rear slightly bottomed out (can't confirm that yet.) The car felt weird but I dunno to what extent since I haven't put it on the street yet.

I absolutely, positively don't know what the **** I'm gonna do. I'm so lost I don't even know what to blame.
Old 06-14-2004
All Eyes On Z

Oh yeah, and I'd like to add. If anyone received V.2 of the suspension and (like me) had their old Hayame's replaced, don't bother with putting the fronts on. For those of you who were waiting for Hayames with an 01-02 Civic and got these new ones, I don't know what to say... because these probably won't fit most of the 7th Gen Civics out there. I hate to say it, but it looks like yet again Hayame might have ****ed up twice.
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

matrix311 is on a distinguished road
I will second that issue SlammedBlue..

Over the weekend I installed the V2.0 Hayames on my 04 Civic. I coudlnt get the fronts to install all the way. I was also having issues with the tie rod bar going all the way through on the fronts, so I had to take a drill bit and machine them down a bit and yet, still having issues getting it to go all the way through, i'm unable to get the nut on the tie rod end all the way up and get the pin in there. That was the first issue.

Secondly on the back, I have the same exact issue with lowering it. I have it as lo as it will go and there is still a 2"+ gap in the rear. SlammedBlue said prior to this post it took a while for it to settle, but that strange it should take time to settle, but anyways i have the rears on with the lowest setting and it's still sitting at near stock height. I have the SPC rear camber kit on back as well. So does anyone know if Hayame just sent out an incompatible set of coilovers for our cars again? Because thats 2 people with 2 identical problems. GRRRR, i also waited over 4 months, ordered in February and just got them last week Thursday. I would like to know what to do to, because tonight i have to switch out all those springs to put the stock ones back in so i can drive my car. Thank god my roomate works by me to take me to work today.. But yeah, anyone else have some input on these new V2.0 systems from Hayame?

-Eric
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
Now, with the 'new' problem I am skeptical whether to have the coilover professionally installed on my carthis saturday or wait until further response from Hayame [?]

And 2" gap is unacceptable. That is the whole reason why we wanted it lowered in the first place.

Any one of you called the Vendor(s) yet?
Old 06-14-2004
All Eyes On Z

There's no need to contact the vendor because we had to contact SPW (American Hayame distributor) to receive these new coilovers. All this has to go back to SPW, and I will be contacting Noah about this today.

It's not impossible to put the fronts on without someone drilling the hole because the tie rod will fit, just not all the way through, that's for sure. But still, no one should have to go to that extent. We didn't have to do that with V1 Hayame fronts. If you bolted it down without putting the cotter pin in, you're gonna break your tie rod end. That is a design flaw.
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
Alright, keep us posted. I think I will be cancelling my appointment this saturday for the coilover installation. Or I can take my chance and hopefully they can make it fit wihout drilling or such.

Yes I agree, this coilover should be plug-n-ride
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man this is horrible. I've cancelled my order because of this issue, but hopefully hayame can get their $hit straight soon. Is the part that connects to the tie rod thicker on v2 than it was on v1?
Old 06-14-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 518
Alright, keep us posted. I think I will be cancelling my appointment this saturday for the coilover installation. Or I can take my chance and hopefully they can make it fit wihout drilling or such.

Yes I agree, this coilover should be plug-n-ride
I think you should wait until this issue is resolved.

I feel sorry for you slam, you wait so long for these. I can't believe they screw up again, the best bet is to call back SPW and see what they say.
Old 06-14-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Oh crap....this does NOT bode well.
Old 06-14-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

My sponsor is calling SPW as well right now...

Quick Reply: Hayame Coilovers V.2.0 - a VERY long wait!