Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Hayame Coilovers V.2.0 - a VERY long wait!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicdude04 is an unknown quantity at this point
man this **** sucks. mine come tom. and i wanted to put them on!!! now i cant.
Old 06-16-2004
Wicked Pissah Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
I was with Grey this weekend when he installed the V2 fronts and it fit for him fine. He needed to flip the tie rod, but other than that it worked well... Maybe he can visit this thread and add more...
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

matrix311 is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't feel very comfortable with an upside down tie rod considering it's a main component that steers your car. I would consider waitin and making it correct?
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by matrix311
I wouldn't feel very comfortable with an upside down tie rod considering it's a main component that steers your car. I would consider waitin and making it correct?
I'm with you man, i'm going to wait until hayame has this issue fixed!
Old 06-16-2004
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Installing the hole upside down without warning... I dunno if I can say that's a vital excuse but whatever. It keeps them looking "professional" but not completely professional. What I was told is that the hole was made that way because they were short on time. Now we're hearing that the hole was made properly, just upside down?

I don't care - either way there's a truth and there's a lie and apparently I know which was true and which was false. It's not SPW's fault, they're just a distributor, not a manufacturer.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
geez, I'm glad Im reading the entirety of this thread.

Can someone edit the first post and add the "hayame sending replacement arm and no drilling is required" please. I know for someone who isnt reading the whole thread can ask the question over and over again.

Thank you for all the updates guys

They have a list of the people who have v2.0 Hayames and will be sending out replacement arms within 3 weeks free of charge with the properly drilled hole the correct direction.
Another month....

Last edited by 518; 06-16-2004 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-16-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I know man, but at least the money I would have spent on install (either professionally or on tools and parts) will now go to molding and painting my front bumper. Hurrah. My sponsor is calling SPW again today to make sure they're sending a couple sets up to Canada. I'll post anything new I hear, I hope anyone else with updates does too.
Old 06-16-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
BTW someone told me that the Si (Canadian=SiR) tie rod ends aren't tapered like the EM/ES ones - can someone check on this? If so, anyone looking for a quick fix might be able to get it going with that.

*Edit* wait nvm...it's also tapered according to the service manual....

Last edited by TeLLy; 06-16-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
telly don't pay something to install them for you. I and few others can probaby do it for you if you can find a host. I hope they fix this so I can call in and get mine replace.....
Old 06-16-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

No worries, I just talked to a friend who will help me do it - he has the tools, I have the DIY. All I need to give him is beer, and maybe rub his belly. You DO know I'm in Canada right? Thanks anyway though.
Old 06-16-2004
All Eyes On Z

Make sure he gets the beer after the install.

By the way, I'll edit the first post. I am not dead yet.
Old 06-16-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Dude, check the "woes" thread! WTF is going on here????
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

UrbanImport is an unknown quantity at this point
Please refer to this thread:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159437
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

Hayame/SPW is an unknown quantity at this point
Hayame coilover installation for 01-up Civic and 02-up RSX

Regarding part numbers: HAY10.71.17 & HAY10.71.04

The new version of Hayame coilovers for 01-up Civic and 02-up RSX received a slight design improvement, which may lead to some confusion during installation.

In order to improve the alignment and positioning of the tie-rod in relation to the coilover, we redesigned the coilover arm to accept the tie-rod on the under side rather than the top of the arm. In other words, the tie-rod should be rotated 180 degrees, and inserted through the bottom of the coilover arm. Installed this way, the taper will properly accept the tie-rod and there is no need to enlarge the hole.

We will be posting more complete installation instructions along with photographs and/or illustrations on our website (hayameperformance.com) in the near future.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. For any questions concerning this matter, please find our contact information at hayameperformance.com.
Old 06-16-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Oh so now I can install them.....actually, I'd rather wait till someone flips the tie rod end over first and installs it...I know, I'm a b*tch, but I wanna make sure this works well before I start hackin away...
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

Yea i know telly, I am currently in the state for school. I will be back to toronto on late july.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hayame/SPW
Regarding part numbers: HAY10.71.17 & HAY10.71.04

The new version of Hayame coilovers for 01-up Civic and 02-up RSX received a slight design improvement, which may lead to some confusion during installation.

In order to improve the alignment and positioning of the tie-rod in relation to the coilover, we redesigned the coilover arm to accept the tie-rod on the under side rather than the top of the arm. In other words, the tie-rod should be rotated 180 degrees, and inserted through the bottom of the coilover arm. Installed this way, the taper will properly accept the tie-rod and there is no need to enlarge the hole.

We will be posting more complete installation instructions along with photographs and/or illustrations on our website (hayameperformance.com) in the near future.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. For any questions concerning this matter, please find our contact information at hayameperformance.com.
Well at least we know it wasnt a design flaw this time, I hope. And suspension installation instructions is really a great idea by the way.

Okay, my suspension install appointment is on for this Saturday

Last edited by 518; 06-16-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2004
All Eyes On Z

Since someone is here giving answers to problems, it doesn't seem like it'd be so hard to tell us what's up with the height problems but that's okay. I guess I can be patient.
Old 06-16-2004
Registered!!

hehe slam. I really want to know if others with v2 have the height problem for the rear coilover. Once everything is resolve I will give SPW a call to get my v1 replaced.
Old 06-16-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Patient schmatient. TeLLy wants answers!!! LOL. You know I talked to a fwe ppl about this, and they think this "flipping tie rod" business will reduce stress on the rod from lowering, and potentially could be a little more quiet as a result. I dunno, I'm just repeating what I've heard, from guys who really know their stuff.
But yeah, what about this rear end biz? I do want a bit of preload on there cause I like my rear stiff, I hope that reducing preload isn't the only solution...ah well, we'll find out on Monday I guess.
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

well guys, got my front end of the hayame v2's on today. everything installed really smooth, no drilling, or nothin. the tie rod fits and works perfectly fine on the upside down position, but after installing them you will DEFINATELY have to have them realigned because it throws the alignment off quite a bit. i have it lowered about 3" and it looks sick, and rides great imo. Tom. i will be installing the rears, and i will post how that goes. but as far as the fronts go, so far so good!!!!
Old 06-17-2004
All Eyes On Z

But yeah, what about this rear end biz? I do want a bit of preload on there cause I like my rear stiff, I hope that reducing preload isn't the only solution...ah well, we'll find out on Monday I guess.
If you take all the preload off to lower the rear, your shocks will bottom out and the car will handle like ****.

I don't get it. Again, this is my story with the rear Hayames. When I install the coilovers in the rear, I have to put them on with them being set at it's lowest (or the lower collar screwed all the way in). Once on, I have little room to turn the strut CLOCKWISE to lower it. If I go counter-clockwise, I'll extend the strut, thus I'll be raising the height... and yes, I've tried this. I even tried extending the strut and taking the preload away from the spring so it's loose - it doesn't work that way because it's height is based on it's strut. If it were to lower the car then the brake rotor would be noticably higher and your camber arm would face more horizontally - but it's not!

So then we say, "Oh, maybe the spring is too compressed." So we take the preload off and the spring is loose... and since the strut isn't going down with the spring, that must mean that if this car hits a bump on the road, I'm gonna loose suspension travel. Not only will I loose suspension travel, but I'll be ruining my suspension parts and my car is going to ride & handle like **** to the point an oversized rear anti sway bar couldn't even help it handle better.

The concept is to shorten the strut with the bottom collar - to lower the car, right?

If I am doing something wrong, let me know!
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

I dont think you are doing anything wrong there slam. I tried the same thing and the rear won't go low enough. Let's see if anyone with V2 has the same rear problem.
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
I dont have any experience with coilovers, but why do you have to turn the strut inside the sleeve anyway? Cant you just leave it at its max travel setting and then screw the lower perch up higher thus decreasing the ride height?

Sorry for being a noob on this..
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

The concept is to shorten the strut with the bottom collar - to lower the car, right?
Thats what I was thinking. I thought maybe I can cut the bottom part of the strut an inch?
Old 06-17-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Hmmm....this may lead to crappy-type lowering-isms. But maybe the 100lb sub box in the trunk will compress my rear enough....
Old 06-17-2004
All Eyes On Z

Originally Posted by flotsamm
I dont have any experience with coilovers, but why do you have to turn the strut inside the sleeve anyway? Cant you just leave it at its max travel setting and then screw the lower perch up higher thus decreasing the ride height?

Sorry for being a noob on this..
The lower collar/perch is bolted on to the car. It doesn't move at all and is not supposed to. Either way it's almost already screwed into the bottom of the strut after installation.
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TeLLy
Hmmm....this may lead to crappy-type lowering-isms. But maybe the 100lb sub box in the trunk will compress my rear enough....
springs wont be cut, but the bottom struts. The bottom strut hits the collar after an inch and a half of turning the collar. The strut seem to be too long for the bottom collar to achieve a 4" drop. The ride wont be affected since there will be not much pre-loading on springs. The only effect that I can think of is being able to lower it 4" on the rear. Although, I dont plan on lowering it that much.
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

wonder how low they will go in the rear.... well, guess i will find out in a couple hours. im gonna start doing the back here pretty soon.
Old 06-17-2004
Registered!!

ok, got them on. all i got to say is i am really disappointed. maybe i am adjusting them wrong, but the way i am doing it, only lowered the car by about an inch at the most. the strut will NOT screw down anymore, and the only way to get the car any lower, would be to compress the spring, but then you get **** for ride quality. im going out to mess with it some more, il post more about it later. if im adjusting them wrong, someone please say so.

Quick Reply: Hayame Coilovers V.2.0 - a VERY long wait!