General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6thgencivic908 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?

just finished lowering my car, and after a few weeks in hell due to cuting out bushings, and bolts and frozen nuts on the struts and every problem you could think of, took it for a test drive and heard this mysterious clunking noise, come to find out i never tightened the lugs on the front pass side wheel, (insert price is right fail noise)
Old 07-26-2010
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

worst thign i ever did when DIY was building my poor mans-r................. I put the headgasket on upside down.... then cranked it over.
Old 07-26-2010
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

after that last post I realized I had a whole bunch of DIY "learning experiences"

I was painting the calipers on my friends mustang when the floor jack gave out.

Stripped the inside of the factory shocks when changing springs more than once.

Plugged the spark plug wires in the reverse firing order.

My friend dropped his EG hatchback on the jackstand. Bent the **** out of the side of the car. Not fun.

Ripped the axle seal when replacing my CV axles and didn't know it.... until I went out of town for three days and found all my trans oil all over the parking lot.

Tons and tons of these oh **** moments. Funny how a lot of them happen when there is beer in the workshop. Coincidence?
Old 07-26-2010
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I think my biggest mistake was taking my car to a shadetree mechanic. He said he would replace my motor mount. Gave him the piece to put on. Fool put it on the passenger side instead of the driver. I specifically told him driver side. Couldn't have made it anymore clear than that. We don't live in England! But it gets worse. I finally purchased new mounts to fix this idiot's mistake. My friend usually spots me in case anything goes wrong. He wanted to take the bolt off for the mount. Well, the guy who put the mount on the wrong side must have some how forced it in because we turned it once and the entire mount just broke. No biggie. We got everything back together, but I have learned my lesson. Next to that, just stripped and broken fasteners seem to be an issue. 2 of the bolts for my distributor cap are stuck. I need to have them removed. Not going to try it myself though. I don't wanna wreck anything.