General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?

Originally Posted by chadbaldwin
DON'T RUN LIVE WIRES THROUGH THE CAR
Hahahaha.. I've always ran wires before plugging them in.

Kinda related to electrical and messing up DIY stuff..
My buddy asked me how to replace a power antenna, and I told him to disconnect the battery and hook up the wires. He comes up to me the next day and tells me that he should have listened about the disconnect battery part. He apparently grabbed a live wire while he was grounded somewhere to his chassis and the shock apparently gave him enough of a jolt for him to jump and hit his head. He said he woke up a few feet from his trunk wondering WTF happened. haha
Old 06-11-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch hahaha... That's pretty funny. Never realized a car produced enough juice to shock a person that bad.
Old 06-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

DC voltage is the worst! lol.. I guess it's not as deadly as AC voltage because of the way it travels, but it sure hurts worse than AC. I've taken 120VAC from arm to arm and it gave me a little buzz.. 12VDC makes my happy *** jump like a ****.
Old 06-11-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

LoL... I'm gonna have to try it. I don't believe you
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chadbaldwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya, electricity in general is dangerous. AC is more dangerous because if you create a circuit across your heart, it is more probable to cause your heart to fibrillate. DC current is bad because it is more probable to cause the person to "freeze". It can cause your muscles to contract and make it hard to let go of whatever is shocking you.

@tbohar yes, car batteries have a ton of power, but not enough to kill you. It takes quite a bit of power to kill you. Usually, anything above 30 volts (DC) starts getting dangerous. But a car battery only has 12 volts. A shock from that may not kill you, but it will definitely make you jump and possibly cause you to do something even more dangerous, so be careful.

Here's a good article, I suggest reading it before working with too much electrical stuff.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_3/4.html

In fact, I suggest reading all of their articles to get a full understanding of how electricity works.
Old 06-30-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Installed a Cold air intake and started it before I realized I left all the equipment in the bag inside the tubing. Throttle butterfly got stuck open and redlined for about a minute and a half while I tried to figure out what the problem was!!!
Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002civicrider will become famous soon enough

^ Why didn't you just cut the car off?

A few weeks ago I was installing my stage 2 cam along with kpro and I forgot to retighten the timing belt tensioner bolt. Started it up and ran great for 5 seconds then started hearing something. Shut it off immediately then it hit me what I forgot to do. I was like FML. I had to pull the whole left side of the engine apart just to get to it. Luckily I had replaced that stupid grade 5 tensioner bolt with a arp so it didn't break and destroy my head.
Old 06-30-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by mr22508
Installed a Cold air intake and started it before I realized I left all the equipment in the bag inside the tubing. Throttle butterfly got stuck open and redlined for about a minute and a half while I tried to figure out what the problem was!!!
Lol sucks.. but yea man. When anything seems wrong, I shut my car off and look at everything I touched
Old 06-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^^^ lol that really sucks. No damage?
Old 06-30-2010
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tbohar
^^^ lol that really sucks. No damage?
Nope, luckily the bag stopped and got stuck at the butterfly. If not there would have been screws and joints and all kinds of crap pushing right into some of my valves! I got lucky! And yes, I was being a total dumbass for not turning the car off, but I was panicked! I was like," What the HELL! I just put on a intake!!!"
Old 07-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I did a DOOSIE today.

A few days ago I changed my rear brake shoes. Everything went well with the replacement. I always drive with my radio cranked, so I often miss noises the car makes. I was driving with the radio off to make sure everything was okay and the brakes were making no noise. I noticed that every time I hit a bump with my rear passenger tire the car went BOOM. It was pretty loud, but the music could have drowned it out. So, after working a 12 hour shift the noise was driving me crazy. Tired as hell I decided to get to the root of the problem. I started to put the two bolts into the drum and started putting them in. I heard a loud POP. Sweet, the drum is released but I couldn't get it off. I kept threading them in until I heard another loud POP, followed by a fair quantity of brake fluid. Then it clued in. I left the E brake on cuz I'm a tard. ****. I got really lucky, I just popped one side of the cylinder off and broke two retaining pins (of which I had spares). So the car was put back together in 10 minutes and the neighbor helped me bleed the brakes...

I took my ratchet set out of the trunk and I don't think it's making the noise any more. I took it for a drive and didn't hear it. I'm still not 100% sure it was the ratchet set, I have a feeling it's my strut

Laugh away, this is what happens when I'm tired after work and it's way too hot out

Lesson Learned!!! With a bit of luck involved
Old 07-08-2010
Administrator
Administrator

hahaha.. how'd you miss the bright red "BRAKE" on your dash?

just playin.. I've done that before.. Nothing serious ever happened like that though
Old 07-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

The car was off when i put the brake up. I was actually planning to check the struts to make sure everything was okay and then ended up deciding to check the brake job. I forgot to lower the E brake at that point... I really thought I destroyed the cylinder but I got lucky hahaha I had a hell of a time getting the drum off even after I let the e brake down because the cylinder piece was jammed in there... idiot!!! hahaha
Old 07-08-2010
Administrator
Administrator

hahaha.. Oh drum brakes.. how fun they are... not.. hahaha
Old 07-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I'm still tempted to do the conversion. I'm too cheap though, and I want to see if this noise is all good. If it is the struts, I'm ordering Megan coilovers So my fingers are crossed that they are toast!
Old 07-08-2010
Administrator
Administrator

hahahahaha.. I like the way you think.. You should still start a rear disc conversion fund
Old 07-08-2010
Whachya lookin at?

I agree with you. but now that the shoes are replaced i should be okay for another 80k miles... so im not overly inclined to touch the rears for now. even though around 450 for a conversion is a good price. the mileage on the knuckles are kind of scaring me away from it.
Old 07-08-2010
Administrator
Administrator

haha, true.. Unless you catch a lucky break like I did
Old 07-08-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

I paid less than 300 for a conversion with new ss lines.
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

theman is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine was to repair and fix my front right side bumper as i slid during winter to a guard rail on the highway, bought some putty and rubber epoxy and some paint from crappy tire. sanded it and primer and paint, the bumper still had some imperfections but want to redo it, also i applied clearcoat but the bumper i can't seem to bring shine to it. any ideas guys
Old 07-14-2010
Administrator
Administrator

try high grit wet sanding and/or rubbing compound?
Old 07-14-2010
Remebers the old days

CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

Was dropping in a built motor in to a Scion TC and I let my friend that was helping me put on the flywheel before I put everything together and put it in. After installing the motor and hooking everything up I went to turn the motor by hand and it was stuck. The damn fool had put the flywheel spacerd in backwards and the clutch was hitting the tranny housing. Had to pull the whole damn motor and start all over. That sucked.
Old 07-14-2010
Premium Member

hondaes1 has disabled reputation

I decided to change my speakers in my car while I was drinking and fackked up all the wiring, next day my radio was wasn't working..lol..I had to rewire the whole thing from scratch.
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

Mr.VTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMr.VTEC has a spectacular aura about

I was putting an OIL Pressure gauge in my last vehicle. I was puttin in the little probe thing that goes in the block.....well that was located right over the starter and under the intake manifold. Needless to say I didnt have a very good grip on the wrench....and i didnt disconnect the battery. The wrench fell out of my hand and landed on the starter terminals and instantly sparked and welded itself to the started. The truck started and the starter wouldnt stop.....so I frantically looked for something close to me to loosen the battery terminal.......lol Had to get a new starter and a 12mm wrench lol
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mr.VTEC
I was putting an OIL Pressure gauge in my last vehicle. I was puttin in the little probe thing that goes in the block.....well that was located right over the starter and under the intake manifold. Needless to say I didnt have a very good grip on the wrench....and i didnt disconnect the battery. The wrench fell out of my hand and landed on the starter terminals and instantly sparked and welded itself to the started. The truck started and the starter wouldnt stop.....so I frantically looked for something close to me to loosen the battery terminal.......lol Had to get a new starter and a 12mm wrench lol
ha ha.lol me and a friend have actually done that befor also. idr what we were doing tho but we ended up getting the wrench stuck and it was no where near empty so it ran fo a lil while till we could find a wrench that fit..
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

Mr.VTEC has a spectacular aura aboutMr.VTEC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cmiller_01ex
ha ha.lol me and a friend have actually done that befor also. idr what we were doing tho but we ended up getting the wrench stuck and it was no where near empty so it ran fo a lil while till we could find a wrench that fit..
Yeah it scared the crap out of me too!! Thank god it wasnt in gear! lol
Old 07-14-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

lol yea i hear you we had ours up on blocks with the tires off lolit was kinda cool i aint gonna lie after we got over the oh **** moment of having the car running.lol
Old 07-24-2010
Registered!!

Spiked Joker is an unknown quantity at this point

My biggest screw up was while doing my interior I've messed up my blinker... still hunting for what's wrong. Also need to figure out what I need to do to waterproof my hood vents, rain keeps leaking in. Any suggestions? Please message me.
Old 07-24-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you forget to plug back in the hazard light switch? it will cause turn signals not to work if its unplugged.
Old 07-26-2010
Registered!!

02_d17a1_dx is an unknown quantity at this point

When I did my exhaust (swapped to ex exhaust with header, random tech high flow cat, and dc catback), i installed the header while the engine was still warm, not blistering hot, but not cold either, and the threads in the head stripped immediately, so had to heli-coil them. Was not fun because couldnt get a drill to fit between the head and radiator support, so i had to turn the drill bit and tap by hand with a wrench. Wont make that mistake again.

Quick Reply: Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?