General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilpoot7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Elite
fixing my shocks, because they were turned backwards its not a DIY but I really fvcked up my car, I jacked it up in the wrong place, right underneith the radiator and I bend the core support, lifted up my hood like 1 foot and I had to hammer it back down, now my hood moves and wiggles, its not that noticeble only when you look at it closely. Oh and I lost a bolt while I was at it, I only have 1 bolt holding the shock/strut down in the rear right of the car.
Old 10-28-2003
Registered!!

Soon2BeGrlRacer will become famous soon enough
while clearing someone elses headlights i forgot to remove one of the lights from the socket and as I was pulling it apart I heard, "CRACK".

It wasnt completely broken, the only thing was that the black case has a little crack other than that it still works today
Old 10-28-2003
Registered!!

SMURF_KILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
ah man every DIY I did did something wrong with my car.....painting interior, clearing headlights, etc
Old 10-28-2003
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
- dropped a trunk lid on my head (took the springs off)
- stabbed myself with a voltage tester
- shocked myself hooking up 2AWG wire for amp power supply
- working on bumper lights for a 1.6EL, had a piece of hot melted plastic that I was dremelling off fly into my face. Left a little red crater for 2 weeks
- cut myself on the inside of my fender (right under where the edge of the hood comes down)
- gotten Goo-Gone in my eye while cleaning various pieces of engine bay
- burned myself on exhaust tip (never try to lower the exhaust yourself after having driven for an hour)
- grabbed the business end of a soldering iron in a vain attempt to catch it as it fell from the table. Used a lot of burn cream stuff that day.
- somehow managed to get cut UNDER my fingernail while changing a friend's headlight bulbs (dammit)
- gash on head and stomach, 8 skinned knuckles, several miscellaneous bruises from endlink install (read here)
- paint can splattered everywhere as I was painting someone's headlights
- didn't wait for paint to dry on my headlights and when I put them back together the paint came off on the corners
- was doing this girl's headlights and some black goo got on the housing. I rubbed it off, but some chrome came off with it
- had 2 pairs of windshield washer nozzles fly off on the highway (no more LED washers for me thank you very much
- broke the rear left passenger seat bolster while trying to remove the door sill trim
- put my center console together without plugging the antenna back into my deck...no radio
- slammed a door closed in frustration....but my friend was working between the door and the car....SMACK
- don't accidentally touch a wire brush that's hooked up to an electric drill and is spinning
- dremelled a piece off my fingernail by accident...took off some skin behind the cuticle while I was at it
- Automotive-Gooped my pants to my shirt
- Krazy-Glued my fingers together trying to put my push-button ignition together
- stepped and slipped on a floor jack

These are all the ones I remember from the last year....

Last edited by TeLLy; 10-28-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2003
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
changing a light bulb on my old car (92 toyota paseo) and i dropped it into the front bumper and it was stuck behind the splash guards and ****.. i had to take off the bumper to get to it..
Old 10-28-2003
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
i had my first diy fopa today and i was wondering if i cut the front bumpstopper do i need to buy a new one to put the springs back on
also im bottoming out over every bump with my coilovers if i raise it higher will it fix it or do i just have to get springsplease i dont know how to do my own post or i would
Old 12-16-2003
Registered!!

spellspoil is an unknown quantity at this point
this deserves a bump
Old 12-16-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by sadboy916
most people probly touched the chrome on their headlights
ME!!! I messed up my cleared headlights bad. . lol. . They are ok, but I'm gonna have to get new ones eventually cause the chrome is messed up, the plastic is messed up. . Just not a good deal. . lol
Old 12-16-2003
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
while installing my HKS Hi-power rear section, I had the car on 1 jack stand since I had taken off the rear passanger side wheel. i had taken off the passanger side rear wheel in order for me to take out the screws for the exhaust easier, since it was extremely rusty!!! Well, after i installed the exhaust, of course I wanted to turn it on and hear it. So, I go inside and turn on the car. The first crank sounds great, a nice low tone. So, of course I now wanna rev the muthafcuka, so instead of putting it on neutral, I put it on drive!!! . And, since I only had 1 jack stand on the back, and the civic is front wheel drive, u guessed it, screeeech, then SLAAAAAAAMMM. It landed on the rear suspension part. When i was in the car and that happend, I was just so fcukin sad, lol. I thought I fcuked it all up. I thought it hit the rotor or something, thank god it didnt. Well, this happend a little over a month ago, and I've done some serious driving as always, and it still runs great. Thank god there were no problem.
Old 12-17-2003
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Every DIY I've done has had something gone wrong.

--ruined 02 gauge cluster
--left bulbs inside when clearing headlights in the oven
--Dropped wrench between + and - terminals on battery and almost tried to grab it with hands.
--dropped bumper on the concrete
--blew fuses
--burnt hand with soldering iron
--many more that I can't remember.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
broke the bulb holder for the auto shift boot light while doin the manual "look."
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Kairi is an unknown quantity at this point
let's see.. I've done some stupid **** before...

When I first bought rims, I put my front two tires on backwards- after a while they kept make a "t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t" sound while driving until one day they blew cuz they had ZERO traction, I was like "WTF?!" and they were really spensiv tires =X

then I ****ed up my dash pieces when I painted them, I did the two side vents first and I spray painted them wrong and ended up getting a wierd texture to them, but it's kinda coo cuz not alot of people have the same texture I have now. the center trip piece came out just fine, looks like pro brushed aluminum.

when I took off my "civic" emblem, I didn't know goo-gone existed and ended up having a million scratches... wierd thing is now you can look at the car at angles and read "civic" (I say it looks ghosty- so I call my car a ghost civic)

and I had a civic spoiler for a while but I tried to rewire the led in it so that it blinked in patterns instead of just lookin like a light... well, yea..I ended up spending 300 bucks to have the holes where the spoier was filled up and painted over perfectly (you can't even tell I had a spoiler before) and also sold the spoiler for 85 bucks to someone on here years ago.

yea, that's it tho.
Old 12-17-2003
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
After reading all these posts, I will never attempt a DIY. lol. My car only has 5900 miles on it.

Well I am going to do the DIY for the REVO SS with the Grey and CAP upgrades so hopefully I wont break any pins.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

urmystlkal is an unknown quantity at this point
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I could not stop laughing while reading this

Originally posted by TeLLy
- dropped a trunk lid on my head (took the springs off)
- stabbed myself with a voltage tester
- shocked myself hooking up 2AWG wire for amp power supply
- working on bumper lights for a 1.6EL, had a piece of hot melted plastic that I was dremelling off fly into my face. Left a little red crater for 2 weeks
- cut myself on the inside of my fender (right under where the edge of the hood comes down)
- gotten Goo-Gone in my eye while cleaning various pieces of engine bay
- burned myself on exhaust tip (never try to lower the exhaust yourself after having driven for an hour)
- grabbed the business end of a soldering iron in a vain attempt to catch it as it fell from the table. Used a lot of burn cream stuff that day.
- somehow managed to get cut UNDER my fingernail while changing a friend's headlight bulbs (dammit)
- gash on head and stomach, 8 skinned knuckles, several miscellaneous bruises from endlink install (read here)
- paint can splattered everywhere as I was painting someone's headlights
- didn't wait for paint to dry on my headlights and when I put them back together the paint came off on the corners
- was doing this girl's headlights and some black goo got on the housing. I rubbed it off, but some chrome came off with it
- had 2 pairs of windshield washer nozzles fly off on the highway (no more LED washers for me thank you very much
- broke the rear left passenger seat bolster while trying to remove the door sill trim
- put my center console together without plugging the antenna back into my deck...no radio
- slammed a door closed in frustration....but my friend was working between the door and the car....SMACK
- don't accidentally touch a wire brush that's hooked up to an electric drill and is spinning
- dremelled a piece off my fingernail by accident...took off some skin behind the cuticle while I was at it
- Automotive-Gooped my pants to my shirt
- Krazy-Glued my fingers together trying to put my push-button ignition together
- stepped and slipped on a floor jack

These are all the ones I remember from the last year....
Old 12-17-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
JayFreeze. . When I read that I cringed . Good thing nothing got messed up . .

GearBox. . I hear ya. . seems like everything I do I break something, mess something up, hurt myself, make the problem worse, sucks big time. . Also the reason that I do it myself instead of letting anyone else do it, because if I mess up all the time, other places do too I'm sure. So if there is going to be something wrong with my car, I might as well know about it.
Old 12-17-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
well i just installed a grounding kit...and of course, i layed a wire right over my throttle. So I go on a trip that day, and whenever I slam on the gas...it stays slammed for another 5 seconds! It really sucked, because the entire trip I couldn't punch it. Got home and used some twistie ties.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

ponyman is on a distinguished road
- Rebuilding my first engine (84 Oldsmobile Firenza) I tightended the nut for the rocker too tight and bent a push rod.
- almost broke the gauges while installing reverse indiglo gauges.

That is it as far as screw-ups go.
Old 12-17-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
There are some funny stories. Don't let them turn you off DIY stuff. Eventually, and after spending more money, you can fix whatever went bad. It seems like alot of this stuff happens because I just don't think when I'm doing it. Taking your time is key to DIY.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

BlackIce is an unknown quantity at this point
^ Gearbox is exactly right.
Old 12-17-2003
Bodacious Member

i agree. I've done a bunch of DIY's, and most of them went very well...just take your time and if you have any problems and you don't know what to do, COME TO THIS SITE! People here are very helpful, and you can get some help in a matter of minutes sometimes.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

blackcivic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well lets see, I relocated my deck to be by the e-brake and I cut the hole too wide, so now I have a black piece in there hiding that mistake cuz I didnt want to pay the extra money.

When I was trying to clear my headlights I couldnt get them open...twice and the first time my sister was home and I had to take her and me to get food while I was trying to put the bumper back on, it was getting late so I decided that having the clips on was good enough...wrong when driving to Wendys on the freeway the plastic underbody hit the pavement, now Im using zip ties to hold it together, you only notice in when you look underneath car. Oh and I had to cut a little on one of my fenders cuz it had scraped the tires a little bit (almost to a hole in plastic) this is the same on both sides but it doesnt stick out on the side I didnt cut.

Lastly, besides being a shitty painter, I tried to open up my (stock) inner taillights, and stuck em in the oven, I then proceded to warp the **** out of the whole thing, although the fix I did with tinted alteeza clear piece, on painted black alteeza tails looks nice, and no one would ever know that they at one time were teezas.

Not to mention all the ugly scratches I left in the interior (all cars get em eventually) and the scratches where the civic and LX symbols were, but I just got a new bumper since the old one was damaged in an unfortunate incident.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

hondaciv01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i unscrewed a bolt in the engine bay when i was intalling skunk2 coilovers, which held the whole suspension assembly together. i fixed the problem, it just put the installation back 2 days
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Definently the Throttle Cable DIY. LOL if you don't tighten the two bolts hard enough then the cable will come out of the bracket. I was driving down the street one night and I decided to slam on it, when I floored it the cable came out of the bracket, and the gas pedal just fell dead to the floor. I was rolling down this main street with no way to accelerate, it was hilarious!
Old 12-17-2003
Bodacious Member

i just want to say; to all those noobs reading this and thinking "im never doing a diy in my life!", dont listen to us. The only way to get better at working with your car and be more knowledgable about it is to spend time with it. Enough time spent, and you'll mess up a couple of times. It all goes good in the end though. Just felt I needed to say that; we don't want to be scaring away anyone.
Old 12-17-2003

Aether_03EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I dripped washer fluid on my bumper ...neh, I haven't tried any DIY's yet, they will come though, in time
Old 12-17-2003

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
Mine was pretty recent. I had installed a larger fuel pump (I have a return fuel system). I replaced all the plastic lines in the tank with 1000psi Fuel Hose. Clamped everything down with screw clamps to what I thought was pretty tight. Guess not. I'm from CT, but live in NJ, and I go back and forth all the time. I was about 60-70 miles from both points. The line that prevents fuel from going to the stock FPR blew off one end in the tank due to the pressure. My car stalled out and died on the highway going 60mph. I rolled to a stop in the middle of a construction zone at 3:30am. Obviously without fuel pressure I can't start the car.

So, I talk to one of the construction workers. They say I have 1 hour to either fix it or tow it. I decided I'd just fix it. so I started. 10 minutes later, one of the guys comes up to me and says my car has to be out of the area within 10 minutes because they were going to start paving. If it's not, the cops will have to come settle it. So I fixed it as fast as I could.

it was bitter cold outside. because of the design of the tank and everyhting. I had bruises and cuts all over my hands from working, banging, and trying to fix it. But I got the whole unit out, fixed the lines an tightened it, and got it back in and was on my way within 15 minutes since the car died. Not to mention in the dark. A personal record for me. And the biggest DIY gone wrong ever. I now have two clamps on each end and it's tightened down as hard as possible. I can't even pull it off if I tried.

So that's my biggest DIY mistake.
Old 12-17-2003
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough
This one gave me a HUGE scare. So I did my neons under my drivers and passenger's seats. Well like the dum@ss i am, I decided I did not need to get electrical tape right away. Wow. Right before I took my car to get my bodykit painted I decided to tuck my switch (I had not yet hiden it) under the center console. Well, I hit the shifter with the metal, heard huge POP and all of a sudden smoke poured from the console I was like Sh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!T!!!!! I saw the flame crawl all the way down my wires too my fuse box where it hit the metal and stopped. The weird thing was that the flame did not catch anything else except the rubber around the wire. THANK GOD or I would have set my car on fire! Wow that scared me soo much my heart was pounding soo hard because my car only had 2k miles at the time. Aside from that I had those same neons blow twice when i ran transformer into transformer by mistake. WOW, no more neons for me.
Old 12-17-2003
Premium Member

Electrical DIY is by far the most dangerous. Just take the time and use electrical tape!! It's not worth killing your car or you.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Dudeness is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by horatio
I was changing the filter on my intake and some how i dropped a screw driver inside the fender. I knew i lost it but didnt know exactly where it was. I fell out on the freeway and i think i may have caused an accident or at least cracked someones window.
Great
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
When running the wires for my sub I left a scratch in the door panel that I took off to run the wire aqlong the passenger side door. It's not really noticable but pisses me off every time I see it.

Quick Reply: Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?