General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AR will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by sadboy916
most people probly touched the chrome on their headlights
nope, i used surgical glaves.

yes, i am that ****.

and no i don't still have my cleared headlights. i sold them. because, i am ****.
Old 12-20-2003
Registered!!

d17a2x3oy is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY mistake doing my vinyl door inserts and painting the whole door panel with plasti-kote. vinyl is pealing bad, paint is chipping now im force to go buy a black door panel and let someone do the inserts for me. unless someone on this board that is close to me can do it for me for a good price. oh yeah another thing taking out the door panel to paint broke the door handle. so now no one can get out. woohoo i got child protection. for the ladies your welcome to get locked in hah.
Old 12-20-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
its not a really a diy but its something I did to my car and that was dropping my car without shocks, I just used coilovers and the ride is horrible
Old 12-20-2003
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
oh no

Originally posted by d17a2x3oy
DIY mistake doing my vinyl door inserts and painting the whole door panel with plasti-kote. vinyl is pealing bad, paint is chipping now im force to go buy a black door panel and let someone do the inserts for me. unless someone on this board that is close to me can do it for me for a good price. oh yeah another thing taking out the door panel to paint broke the door handle. so now no one can get out. woohoo i got child protection. for the ladies your welcome to get locked in hah.

oh no, sorry my posts and re-posts about what paint to use on door panal still didn't save you...Appearantly you didn't see them because maybe they are too old now...

Do not use Plasti-kote!!! I tried, and samething happened to me!

Use Krylon "fusion"!!! it really worked!
Old 12-20-2003
Registered!!

Jonauto is an unknown quantity at this point
i fryed the blinker relay when i was installing my hyper-blinker. 20 bucks later it worked.....
Old 12-20-2003
Registered!!

ragencajun is an unknown quantity at this point
where to start the worst was a set of full length tribal flames got one side on no problem the next i got up and my 3 year old pulled it off and walked on it for me after 3 hours of picking out sand i put it on dumb move i know. Messed up the top of my aem intake and had to buff it out after it was rubing on the hood. fell on my stock hood coming out of the bar got a new cf hood from insurance thank good
no other major things yet .
Old 12-21-2003
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
i shoulda never tried to pop out the door panels with a screw driver. my failed attempt left scuff marks on the plastic parts
Old 12-22-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I messed up alot on my last electrical DIY. Ended up with lots of scars and cuts. Forgot to solder resistor to a LED, blew some fuses, and alot of other stuff. Makes me never want to do another DIY after I was done, at least not anything with electronics.
Old 12-22-2003
Registered!!

kenji4861 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by sadboy916
most people probly touched the chrome on their headlights
I did that.. and I tried to wipe off the finger print and.. the chrome came off.. F*CK!
Old 04-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
burnt out dimmer switch, installing HU
Old 04-25-2005
Newbie Member

thomusvoo is on a distinguished road
umm...nothing at all really.
but i did broke a plastic peice that holds the rear deck togehter... =/
other than that, im really careful with my belongings
Old 04-26-2005
You cant spell CRAP without APC

MarylandEcstasy is an unknown quantity at this point
http://temp.dirtysamurai.com/gauge/convert.html

^^I thought it would be great to tackle the Gauge Cluster Conversion
..so..8 hours later, 25 pins battered and raped, and a mini jewelry screwdriver that got shoved up under my nail.. it worked..

well..

..with 80 bucks paid to infinite012 to clean up my mess lol
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

fixeruper is an unknown quantity at this point
but my strut bar to close to my sri and it raddled against each other, lol just moved it alittle, oh and painting my dash w/o using any primer lol it flaked off everywhere just looking at it. thats it no other things, guess im lucky and didnt have anything serious.
Old 04-26-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
Diconnected the throttle body heater without letting the car cool down and sprayed myself in the face with hot anti-freeze.

dropped a socket down my exhaust pipe installing my header.

Had to hammer my strut tower bar on. Then it ground a nothch on in my CAI.
Old 04-26-2005
4 cyllinders are good but 5 is better!

GreatWhite02 is an unknown quantity at this point
when i took the fuel needle off to replace the gauge faces(later found out you dont have to) so i removed the fuel needle but when i put it back on it just shot way up past the F! Worst part was i remembered I only had about a quater of a tank before i removed the needle! My gas light came on but my needle was on the F! So I didnt know how much gas I acutally had! Yikes! Then I thought there was no way i would be able to fix it so I bought a new cluster for 300 dollars, then went home and realized that my mileage would be reset since it is stored in the cluster! So I tried my luck one last time and got the needle fixed! Wheew! So then I made up a pretty good excuse to the dealership for why i was returning the new cluster and they gave me a full refund! YES there is a GOD!
Old 04-26-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
you actually got a refund from the dealership? lucky you. mine not only wouldnt give me a refund if i tried, but would prolly try and charge me for their time
Old 04-26-2005
Formerly 2blu

Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
bring'n it back from the dead
Old 04-26-2005
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Not posting up me in the nude while doing my DIY...

Hey im a premium member I just got an idea.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 04-26-2005
Registered!!

civ2nv should not be trusted
attempted to cut t-tops in but then could not find anyone who wanted to do it or had the time so now for a school project we are putting a new roof on.
Old 04-26-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
fvcking up my tails by puttin too much clear coat on em then it ran, while smoking them. then i had to scrape it all off and now it looks like this

Old 04-26-2005

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
^^^ looks dope^^^^^
Old 04-26-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by _Viper_
^^^ looks dope^^^^^
lol stfu
Old 04-26-2005

They look like the car caught fire ..
Bwahahahahahahahahaha
Old 04-26-2005
formerly 2k1CivicRacer

S2KREY is on a distinguished road
doing electrical work and blew a fuse but had no clue which one so had to go threw every single one to find out which one was blown
Old 04-26-2005

OK well I left my car once in newtral and I was leaning in the engine bay. Then my car rolled out of my garage (Theres an incline ) and i fell into the engine Bay trying to stop it from backing out.. Anyways it backed right out into the street and I got broadsided by a BUS thus sending me into the ICU for a week.

The paramedics told me that I had the Vtec lettering printed on the side of my forhead...
Old 05-31-2005
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute
WOW that sucks.....all i did was break a clip while clearing the headlights... and i want to do the blue needle diy and i know ill mess up so ill prob be back on this post lol
Old 05-31-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
I cut through the red/black wire in my gauge cluster completely lol. I was doing my indiglo gauges in the dark without a flashlight hehe.
Old 05-31-2005
A big, hairy Kentucky boy

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
Screwed up my power mirror switch while changing the bulb to a blue LED.

BTW, just because you've been soldering for years doesn't mean you still won't burn your finger and throw the power mirror switch into a concrete wall as some kind of stupid reflex.

New switch due in Thursday: $10.
Old 05-31-2005

chknmnky will become famous soon enough
Biggest mistake on DIY = Doing it myself.
Old 06-01-2005
Registered!!

1of_many is an unknown quantity at this point
When my friend and I lowered my car we had to cut out the rear fender lip and slipped and skippe dup the side of the car...not as bad as it sounds thank god but then to top it off when he hit it with some black paint to seal the raw metal he tested it on a paper to make sure it sprayed good sicne it was sittin a while and then when he moved gust of wind blew the paper up on the side of the car so had a nice scratch from a saw with a black smudge next to it. It is all good now though since the repaint...lol. Should of expected it though things were going to smooth. I also did the blue LEDS didnt have a prob other than i am not patient enough to solder LEDS...lol Still havin a prob with some of them burnin out though.

Quick Reply: Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?