General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicdude will become famous soon enough
On my civic the only problem I ever had while doing a DIY was when I cleared my lights...I took some of the chrome off one of the lights...but it wasnt really noticeable
Old 07-11-2003
Registered!!

OZman is an unknown quantity at this point
tried 2 DIYs..
both not satisfied..
even with pretty striaght-forward guides provided.. sigh..

1. Removin' emblems ("H" & "CIVIC") at rear..
The removal process was good with no scratches..
but when removin' the residues (glue) had damaged ma biatch..
i rubbed it too hard with Goo-Gone and took away some paint..
not obvious.. only when look closely.. still.. FAILED~

2. Black-housin' headlights..
All da procedures were successful until when i reached the 'sealing-back' part..
i thought i didn't put enough silicone to seal them back up..
so moistures tended to rape ma headlights during hot/humid days..
then.. i re-sealed them again with heavy dose of silicone this time..
but still.. my headlights fogged up inside with lot of condensations..
oh well.. now i am waitin' for a new pair of tyc headlights from a GB here..
so.. this DIY marked a "FAIL"~

well.. overall.. i guess i just sucked in hand-made sheit..
if you buy me some plastic models to build/paint..
i rather get one which is nicely done already from a store..
Old 07-11-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
while working on electricals (installing power windows and doorlocks), I accidentally drained my car battery. My allarm went off and I couldn't get it to stop because it was too weak to pickup the remote's signal but yet it had enough power to whine and bitch. I disconnected the battery and jump started it with a portable jumper and turned off the alarm. I tried to recharge by driving, but my battery was shot. I went and bought a better battery from Autozone.
Old 07-11-2003
Registered!!

jamesj is an unknown quantity at this point
My only automotive screw up was when I tightened a bolt too much and broke the screw. I did it while switching out my tail lights. The trunk doesn't leak or anything so it's okay with me.

Off topic in terms of auto DIY mistakes another screwed DIY was of the computer type. I was putting a new fan on my computer's processor and ended up shaving an edge off of the processor's core. The processor was effectively killed.
Old 07-11-2003
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
making door sills!!!

the make of door sill part is fine but I use duplicolor chrome paint to coat it later on.

the paint is a total ****!! after it dries, it will be soft and anything can leave permanant mark on it!!

do not use chrome paint!! be careful!
Old 07-11-2003
Reppin Stage 7

XTREME2K2CIVIC will become famous soon enoughXTREME2K2CIVIC will become famous soon enough
Busted the damn bolt that holds the header on to the downpipe... Had to drill it our retap it and put in a new bolt... It was a pain in the ***...
Old 07-11-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
when you're doing headlights don't scrape off the black tar stuff honda put on and do new silicone ... just use that black stuff. It se seals itself pertfectly. I've done mine a couple times with that exact same black stuff and I never have a single problem
Old 07-11-2003
Registered!!

BumpinCivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
When i was clearing my headlights i dropped my left headlight on the ground...now it has a nasty scratch accross the headlight. Nobody else can notice but i always do
Old 07-11-2003
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
when painting my interior trim pieces... i was doing the piece on the driver door handle and when you take it out, there is this spring and it fell into the door... i had to take off the whole door panel and remove the factory sound deadening material to get it and broke a plastic piece on the door lock...

so now everytime i turn my radio up a bit my driver side door rattles... also, when i start my car, the door locks even if its open (its not supposed to lock if the door is open) and i locked myself out one time with the car running...
Old 07-11-2003
Registered!!

tdiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
I got silicone all over my chrome when i cleared my lights.
Old 07-12-2003
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Ever had a problem.
Old 07-12-2003
Registered!!

ptechricer is an unknown quantity at this point
drilling the holes for the flip flop trunk to far back.
Old 08-04-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Well. . When i was clearing my headlights, I touched the chrome. . Took off a spot of the chrome when I tried to clean it. Plus. I got the black crap that it was sealed with all over. ..

Then, if that wasn't enough I scratched my rear bumper when I removed my emblems. . grrrr..

Then, yes there is more. . I broke some plastic peices when I removed my panels. .

Oh well. . you learn from your mistakes. I'll never jack those up again.
Old 08-04-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
scratch my window tint when i took my front chair out to setup my audio

I dent and scratch my left fender when installing Neuspeed Front Upper

i cracked my OEM filter Box when i want to clean up my K&N
replacement filter now i use RacerDesign Intake
Old 08-04-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I never had a problem. Well, I broke a few clips when I was putting my altezza grille on. I had my dad run to the store, and after he left, I realized I didn't need them. That's the worst that ever happened.
Old 08-04-2003
Registered!!

Logan is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by JumpingBean
Well When I was changing my rear brakes I had a pair of neednose pliers pulling on one of the springs....and pulling toward me(like a dumbass) to release the tension. Well they slipped off the spring and i managed to stab myself on the inside of my nose almost completely going through my septum(that part that separates your nostrils) Talk about ouch. Nearly knocked my *** out and bled like a b*tch.
OMG!!! HAHAHAH!! I DID THE SAME THING! I was replacing the brake hardware (springs and the works) on the right rear drum of my 66' Ford Galaxie and while pulling on the bottom spring, I slipped and rammed the pliers into my skull. I split my skin wide open just to the inside of my right eyebrow and it bled like I was shot!
Old 10-21-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
i painted my trim pieces with an enamel...then used a laquer clearcoat....not good. They were all white and wrinkly and ****. Had to rub them hard as *** with MEK to get it off. Definitely bought some ENAMEL clearcoat after that. They look pretty good now though.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

phatcyclist is an unknown quantity at this point
when I tried to put my center console back in after installing mydeck, (it was dark) I kept feeling resistance and just thought I was doing it at a wrong angle. Well, I finished it later that evening, and when I woke up the next morning, the soft trim stuff under the ac/radio plastic part had scratches and gashes in it...
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Blur3737 is an unknown quantity at this point
puttin on the dc short shift adapter I can't count the number of cotter pins I broke
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
I scratched my trunk with me jeans when i jumped up and sat on it. You know those metal things on jeans.....yea..
well as for DIY probably scratching the car while waxing
Old 10-21-2003
=) Im Bi-Sexual <3

Tojo is an unknown quantity at this point
i scratched my hood with a screwdriver (covered with a rag)..
while i was washin my car..
does that count?
i was tryin to scrape off some **** off my hood.. sigh
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

wannabeblown is an unknown quantity at this point
I was trimming my bumper today for an intercooler. The exacto knife slipped and sliced my finger BIG TIME. I bled all over my bumper and almost passed out. Then I went, got stitches and mcdonalds. Came home and finished my install .
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

samscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
try to rush it(anything), results in ugly: solution = take you time
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
after I got done installing my injen race division cold air intake, I put my battery on backwards and put the positive cable on the negative and the negative cable on the positive, blew about half my fuses.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
fixing my shocks, because they were turned backwards its not a DIY but I really fvcked up my car, I jacked it up in the wrong place, right underneith the radiator and I bend the core support, lifted up my hood like 1 foot and I had to hammer it back down, now my hood moves and wiggles, its not that noticeble only when you look at it closely. Oh and I lost a bolt while I was at it, I only have 1 bolt holding the shock/strut down in the rear right of the car.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
when putting my black painted lense of my headlight back into the clear outer housing, I got some black sealent on the black paint.....had to sand down and paint again
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
hehe

Originally posted by jwalker87
i painted my trim pieces with an enamel...then used a laquer clearcoat....not good. They were all white and wrinkly and ****. Had to rub them hard as *** with MEK to get it off. Definitely bought some ENAMEL clearcoat after that. They look pretty good now though.

I thought I posted way too many repost about painting on plastics.

in one post I said never do what you did...hehe guess you didn't have chance to see my verious repost about paining on plastic in general? ^_^
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
i was putting on a injen sri. i accidently forgot to angle one of the clamps that hold down the plastic sleeves to the throttle body. when i started my car and tried to back up the accelerator was stuck so i pushed down hard on it. next thing you know, the throttle body was stuck at WOT the rpm needle bounces like 6 times. i freaked out and turned off the car... damnit
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Using wd-40 on my chrome headlight , just a little spot had some glue, ate right through the crome. This was a brand new 200 buck headlight.
Pissed me off cause it was posted on here that it worked.
Jeff
Old 10-22-2003
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
went to go jump start my friend's car, hooked up the right ones to his battery terminal, but put the neg on positive on mine, and when i tried to put on the positive one on my car, sparks were flying... good thing i didnt blow any fuses or anything doing that..

oh, and this was after i was explaining on how to jump a car to my friend...

Quick Reply: Whats your biggest mistake you ever made while DIY?