Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Replacing brake fluid

Old 09-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf3r8z is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing brake fluid

The owners manual for my 2008 civic says that i should change the brake fluid every 3 years. Since i put very few miles on it, i never have had this done. I currently have a little over 20,000 miles on the engine. Am i making a mistake? What is the logic of changing brake fluid just because time passes, irregardless of milage. Does the fluid bread down just because of time passing. This issue has never come up with any other car i have owned.
Old 09-18-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Replacing brake fluid

the Logic behind changing brake fluid is too get not only old brake
fluid out. but also moisture even though the reservoir is caped moisture always
gets in because the outside air we breath contains a certan percentage of moisture

that over time if left in there can damage brake components or
worse brake fade that can lead to an accident. good idea to change brake fluid
every 2 years even IF its not driven enough.
Old 09-18-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

This issue has never come up with any other car i have owned.
Most other cars recommend periodic service of brake fluid, it's been like this as far back as I can remember.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_...nd_maintenance
Old 09-20-2015
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Most other cars recommend periodic service of brake fluid, it's been like this as far back as I can remember.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_...nd_maintenance
Yes.
too much moisture in brake systems is detrimental especially
on ABS systems I change my fluid every 2 years why...? as I mentioned
are outside Air we breath in as humans contains moisture if it didn't are lungs would dry up
and we as humans would die. "harsh description But True, You get my point" So moisture
needs to exist for are sake. but in a ABS mechanical brake set up it does not like it.

and too much moisture in brake fluid also will lead to brake fade and shorten stoping distances
just another reason to keep in mind about brake fluid and its important roll on stopping a vehicle.

Last edited by brags; 09-20-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, change it out.
Old 10-02-2015
Registered!!

ken4444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it attracts water. Even in a sealed system, the worry is that the fluid will absorb water over time, and that water will cause damage to the metal parts of the brake hydraulic system. Do you really need to change the fluid? Probably not as often as Honda says you should, but I'd do it every 6 or 8 years. If you service your own brakes and have to replace the one or more calipers, that's a perfect time to bleed the old fluid out and add new fluid.

If you pay a shop to service your brakes and they will be installing one or more new calipers, ask them if you can pay a bit extra and have them bleed the old fluid out of the system for a few extra bucks. I think many big shops or dealers will charge you extra to change the fluid, but maybe a small shop would help you out for a lower cost since they're already working on the system anyhow.
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Change it. Water and contaminants get past the seals over time.
Old 04-19-2016
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

Follow the mfg recommendation. I change the brake fluid after every hi speed track event.
You don't want the brake pedal to go to the floor when the water heats up while your trying to stop st the end of the long straight at 100 mph ...it happened to me. If not fun trying to pump up the brakes at that moment.