I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Any way to lock car doors when key is in ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POQbum can only hope to improve
Any way to lock car doors when key is in ignition?

Alright so I'm a delivery driver.. I normally keep my car running with key in the ignition and gear in drive (I use the e-brake).

This is because parking it, and starting/stopping the engine causes unneeded wear, especially the transmission I hate messing with.

The problem I have is I want to lock my car while my key is still in the ignition, but when I try to use the remote it seems like it's deactivated.

Does someone know if it's possible to turn off this programming feature or some other way or method to lock your car doors while key is in the ignition?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

>> Honda Civic 2005 LX Coupe

Last edited by POQbum; 02-25-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any way to lock car doors when key is in ignition?

Since I have no effing clue what kind of car you have, I'll guess:

No.

Factory units disable the keyless with the ignition on.

You would have to do some creative wiring to get around it.
No clue what else that could effect.

Carry and use a spare key instead.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Since I have no effing clue what kind of car you have, I'll guess:

No.

Factory units disable the keyless with the ignition on.

You would have to do some creative wiring to get around it.
No clue what else that could effect.

Carry and use a spare key instead.
Since we're in the 7th gen forum I didn't think I had to specify.. haha but I listed it in the OP.

I'm hoping someone can tell me there is some magical code or programming that can be done that will disable this.

If not then it's fine.. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now.
Old 02-25-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POQbum
Since we're in the 7th gen forum I didn't think I had to specify.. haha but I listed it in the OP.

I'm hoping someone can tell me there is some magical code or programming that can be done that will disable this.

If not then it's fine.. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now.
Nope, no codes or programming you can do with a factory unit that I know of. You would have to do some rewiring.

I never notice which department a post comes from, I usually only look at new posts.
This one is in I.C.E. & Electrical, not 7th gen.

With any generation, there are huge differences between the start and end of the run.
Huge differences between 01 and 05.
Huge differences between DX LX EX Si et al.
Huge differences between 2, 3, and 4 door.
Huge differences between US and Canada markets.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Nope, no codes or programming you can do with a factory unit that I know of. You would have to do some rewiring.
ah okay thanks, sadly it looks like I'll just stick to what I'm doing now (unless some other awesome person has an idea?!)

Just to clarify.. this is "I.C.E. & Electrical" but it's a subforum under "7th Gen" Honda Civics.
Old 02-25-2012

Originally Posted by POQbum
this is "I.C.E. & Electrical" but it's a subforum under "7th Gen" Honda Civics.
I think it defaults to a general category since it is listed in every generation.

At any rate, 7th gen is not mentioned anywhere.

In the bar that has these links, click on "NEW POSTS" and you will see what I mean.

User CP Photo Gallery FAQ Members List New Posts Search

Actually, I think you can just click it from right there...I seem to have copied the links.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

I think it defaults to a general category since it is listed in every generation.

At any rate, 7th gen is not mentioned anywhere.

In the bar that has these links, click on "NEW POSTS" and you will see what I mean.

User CP Photo Gallery FAQ Members List New Posts Search

Actually, I think you can just click it from right there...I seem to have copied the links.
Well we're completely off topic now lol
I still have some tiny hope someone else will read this and help solve my initial problem.

Anyway yea I see what you mean. If you check "new posts" that page is very vague on what forum sections they're listed under.

It will list the direct forum section it's in, but won't tell you it's parent directories.

But once you click on the actual post, all posts have full navigational rundowns of what forums and subforums it's listed under.

Old 02-25-2012

0_o

Ok, I see what you mean now.
I never look there. LOL
I go right into the meaty stuff.

I also have issues with following instructions.
Some people wonder how on earth I can fix cars for a living.
Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

0_o

Ok, I see what you mean now.
I never look there. LOL
I go right into the meaty stuff.

I also have issues with following instructions.
Some people wonder how on earth I can fix cars for a living.
Yeah it can be easy to pass up, the layout of this forum isn't very clean
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

05gen7ex is an unknown quantity at this point

the doors can be locked if you pull the interior drivers handle and push the lock button at the same time... but you WILL need another key to unlock it. i made this mistake once picking my so up from daycare. the summers here in costal GA are treacherous, so i left the car running, locked the door, them had to wait 45 minutes for a locksmith with the car running w/ ac on full blast
Old 02-26-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

will it still unlock if you use the remote? can you press the lock down in the car and use the remote to unlock it?
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

05gen7ex is an unknown quantity at this point

no the remote will not work. and you have to pull the handle then lock it. but like said you have to have another key. which isnt that bad just throw it on a lanyard or something.
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 05gen7ex
the doors can be locked if you pull the interior drivers handle and push the lock button at the same time... but you WILL need another key to unlock it.
wow that's great, thanks. This will help a lot
Old 02-26-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The solution is simple... leave the car running, close the drivers door and use valet or other key in drivers door lock and twist left once to lock both doors. Right once to unlock drivers door twice to unlock both.
Old 02-27-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Yeah, it's safer to just use the key to lock, so then you KNOW you have the spare key with you. Even if it's harder to have the pizza in one hand and have to lock the car. the time spent waiting for someone to come to unlock the car is longer in the long run.