View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: Should I let my car warm up?

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I have a downhill right after leaving driveway. I just turn it on and drive. naturally, not mashing throttle until it gets more heat

some say they idle for 5 -10 minutes, but that is really not going to heat engine - rich mixture.
I don’t think that coasting down a hill in fuel cutoff will heat it up much either. I agree that idling won’t heat the engine up very much, and I think idling a cold engine does much more harm than good because it causes cylinder wash, carbon buildup, fuel in oil etc. So you think I am doing the right thing?
Old 11-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Am I the only one who constantly has an engine light?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
It’s not causing any problem, so why waste money fixing it? What would the advantage be?
Your car..do want you want.
My dad drove his car for a few years with tape over the CEL light. I don't even know if he ever had the codes read. I ended up selling that car (1999 Lexus) after he passed five years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still running.
Old 11-20-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Is this header decent?

For $70 I wouldn't expect much in quality. Ever consider going back to stock manifold since header isn't providing power gains anyway?
Old 11-20-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

sounds right.
Old 11-20-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

O2 sensor location is only for one cylinder.
they don't show where the 4 tubes merge - that's apart of what defines a good header or not.
find one in a scrap yard - they easy to pull off, aside from frozen bolts (take PB blast with you)
car-part.com
Old 11-20-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

It’s not causing any problem, so why waste money fixing it? What would the advantage be?
when a new (more dangerous code) comes up, you will know instantly.

PS: I have the seat belt SRS lightning up, but a previous SRS was actually the Siemens Computer controlling the SRS, so i was completely on my own if something happened.
Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

PS: I have the seat belt SRS lightning up, but a previous SRS was actually the Siemens Computer controlling the SRS, so i was completely on my own if something happened.
I have a Scanguage, so I scan for codes when I get gas. It's as easy as pressing a button.
Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

O2 sensor location is only for one cylinder.
That's OK, my downpipe has an o2 sensor hole anyway.
Old 11-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What I’ve always done in the winter is tape off the upper grill to help the engine warm up quicker,
This literally does nothing good. If you think it does, then it's all in your head.
Worst point: a blocked off radiator can easily lead to overheating, even in the winter.

Thermostat: What is it good for?

then drive off gently without using the heater until the engine fully warms up, then drive as normal. Is that the right thing to do?
For quickest warmup time, I'd agree with the above with the exception of letting it run 30-60.

To generate HEAT, the engine has to BURN FUEL. The more fuel it burns, the more heat it makes. If you make it work while burning that fuel, you increase efficiency first by actually going places while it's warming up instead of sitting still just burning (wasting) that fuel, and second by shortening the time needed to reach operating temperature (and most efficient operation).

I usually just slap my car in gear and start driving just as soon as it's running.
(OTOH my old truck has a carb with no choke, I can't just jump in and drive, I HAVE to run it a little while before it will stay running on its own at all)

I can let the engine idle until it warms up, but I believe that I would be doing more harm than good running then engine while it’s cold for more time than required.
I know this absolutely murders my fuel economy.........but when it's bitter cold (usually only 10*F or less when it's just me) I may remote start my car and let it run 10-15 minutes while I get ready to leave in the mornings.....just to take the edge off.

It's nowhere near fully warmed up in that time either, but there's at least a little heat pumping out the heater vents by that time.

I don't worry about my oil. The oil I use is good enough (Hondas full syn 0w20, same as what goes in most customer cars at the shop)

Hell my daily commute is short enough (5.6 miles each way) my engine never reaches full operating temp for weeks at a time in the winter....... unless I go out of town or something.
I still don't worry about oil dilution or engine wear.

I change oil in my Civic maybe once per year, I've been driving just about 5k or so per year.

I also frequently pressure wash....... the underside of the car and the engine compartment to remove salt
The undercar sprayers help a lot IMO .

Wait....Y'all use salt down there?
If I guess right...I'm probably about 300-350 miles north of you and we've only been getting about one good snow per year anymore.

But.....Our road crews salt the roads here as soon as temps dip in to the mid 30s...and we have that damn brine stuff here too. That crap seems way more corrosive than plain salt.
Old 11-20-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who constantly has an engine light?
Yep, you are.

I'm not worried, my car runs just fine. LOL
Old 11-21-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Yep, you are.

I'm not worried, my car runs just fine. LOL
And thanks to Ezone and others here my car runs fine too. For now, anyways..
Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Your car..do want you want.
My dad drove his car for a few years with tape over the CEL light. I don't even know if he ever had the codes read. I ended up selling that car (1999 Lexus) after he passed five years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still running.
Yea, the CEL is almost never serious. Probably a bad cat or something.
Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

What would a “dangerous” CEL code be? P0325 or something? It’s not exactly like the CEL will save your engine by coming on if you let it run out of oil or something! I can’t really think of a time where I was thing to myself “I really wish my would have come on to warn me about this!” Well except when my cam plug popped out and killed my engine. RIP D17A1. Gone but will never be forgotten...

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 11-21-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

you answered one of them yourself
misfires comes to mind too.
Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

you answered one of them yourself
misfires comes to mind too.
The engine light won’t come on for low oil pressure. Also, a misfire would cause the to flash, and I would also feel a misfire. I don’t think a misfire would damage the engine anyway. I bought a 2000 Dodge Stratus that had a bad spark plug. The guy was such a cheap*** that he unplugged the fuel injector for that cylinder and ran it on 3 cylinders with the bad spark plug for 35K miles! It never did do any damage, but he probably paid more for extra fuel than he would have for a new spark plug
Old 11-21-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

OK

scangauge does help, i have mine too

but do prefer to have it off
Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

Question What are my camshaft options?

I have a 2005 Civic with a D17A2 engine. I am looking to upgrade my camshaft to get more power. I have heard of someone using a camshaft from another VTEC engine, I think a D series, but maybe a SOHC F series in the D17 and making more power. I can’t remember for the life of me which cam they used, I think maybe a D16Y8 or Z6 cam? Really not sure. I am wondering what camshaft upgrade options I have besides Crower. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

Camshaft regrind?

I am wondering of I could have the camshaft for my D17A2 reground to the specs of a Crower Stage 1 so I could get the same performance benefit of upgrading to a Crower camshaft for a much lower cost. Would that be possible? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Camshaft regrind?

The more you grind it away the less there is to open the valves.

Then you need to get higher ratio rocker arms to gain back the lift..

Good luck finding high ratio rocker arms for less than just buying the correctly ground Crowley cam..
Old 11-22-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: What are my camshaft options?

Crower is it. It’s a D17 not a K series, won’t be many options for stuff. Another D series can might work, idk.
There was a company that would do custom grinds (would even do ones for none vtec engines) but I can’t remember the name of the company. If they are even still in business. It had a frog as a logo I think...

Found it; https://www.gude.com/Products/camlist.php#honda

I looked into it before and I think he regrinds an OEM one and it was the cost of a new one but if you have an Lx that’s your only option besides a head swap.

Last edited by GolNat; 11-22-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2017
Registered!!

F swap?

I want to do a unique engine swap in my 2005 Civic. I thought about doing a B or H swap, but I can't because in the USA, the engine has to be the same year as the car to be legal. I think that a F22 swap with an engine from a S2000 would be cool, but I can think of several reasons why it wouldn't be practical. Not the least of which is that the S2000 is obviously RWD, so I'm not sure how I would get power to the front wheels. Has this been done before? I know that other people have done F2K swaps in Civics, but I couldn't find anyone who did this in a 7th gen, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2017

Re: F swap?

According to everything I've ever read about EPA and federal emissions regulations, "technically" an engine (repower) is not supposed to be older than the car it's installed in.

You can chop out the floor all you want to install a rear wheel drive powertrain. Google V8 Civic LOL
Old 11-23-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Google Civette I believe was its name.

Don’t think an F swap has been done in a 7th gen, B series yes and of course K. Can you fabricate things? Weld? Custom wire harness and possibly drive shafts?

It would be unique, go for it. Same year engine or newer.
Old 11-23-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

They can get more power from K.
S2k are notorious for not getting additional power easily. It was already highly tuned. Most modifications actually decreased torque power.

And what are you talking about moving power delivery from back to front?!?

Read more about engine swaps... mating engine to transmissions is part of the process...
Old 11-23-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Ah, there's the cibaru too.
Old 11-24-2017
Registered!!

Re: Stage 1 cam?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ge-1-cams.html

it would be noticed, yes.

estimates are with I/H/E to get about 35HP - the most these engines coukd get.

note: due to Photobucket policy change, a lot of pictures were lost in the link
Thank you. The other question I have is where will the power gain be in the RPM range? Will I lose low end torque, or gain power everywhere? What is the disadvantage to this cam over stock? There must be a disadvantage since it didn't come with a cam like this from the factory.
Old 11-24-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

I see you did not read the link....

there are dino charts in there, you know...
Old 11-24-2017
Registered!!

I see you did not read the link....

there are dino charts in there, you know...
I completely missed the dyno charts lol. They must not have displayed properly in my iPad. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 11-24-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'll make it easy for you. Here's a direct link to the post with the dynos
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4596256

Just to give you a frame of reference for OEM dynos:
D17A2 AT makes ~90whp
D17A2 MT makes ~110whp
D17A2 is rated at 127BHP (horsepower at the crankshaft, disregarding losses at the transmission or wheels)

Don't ask me for a source on those. Just numbers I've seen from being on this forum for... 14+ years

Numbers posted if you don't wanna see the dyno charts (in posted order):
AT with intake (unsure of transmission): 116.9whp
MT with I/H/E (elevation of 6500'): 118.68whp
MT with I/H/E: 124.5whp
MT with laundry list of mods: 128.11whp
Laundry list of mods BTW: probably most reliable numbers because of whose car it is
-AEM cam gear
-Crower Stage 1 with chromoly retainers
-Black nitride coated intake/exhaust valves
-power steering delete
-AEM V2 intake
-DC sports 4-1 header
-RS*R exmag exhaust
-lightweight underdrive pulleys
-8.8lb flywheel (stock is something like 17lb)
-Stage 2 clutch
-Carbon lined synchros
-Quaife LSD
-OMNI power master cylinder

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 11-24-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2017
Registered!!

any specific instructions for when installing Stage 1 camshaft?

I just ordered a Crower Stage 1 camshaft, P/N 63461 for my D17A2. I have a couple questions. I know how to install it, but I have never replaced a camshaft with a new one before, so I have a couple questions.
1. What procedure do I follow after I lube and install the camshaft to break it in? I presume I just vary the RPMs frequently, don’t run it hard and check/adjust the valve lash after it breaks in, but I’m not sure.
2. I am due for an oil change. Do I change the oil and filter before or after I break in the cam?
3. Will the performance benefits of the camshaft be immediate, or will the ECU need to adjust?

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry for the stupid questions, I just want to make sure I don’t screw something up.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-28-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: change thread title to correct question

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave