View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: How strong are our engines built?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
So is there anything inherently less reliable about a D17 than a D16 or K20?
I'll let Ezone or other longtime Honda mechanics answer that one. I've owned two D16Y8's and my mom has a D17. I like them both and would say based on my experience they are both solid engines and easy to work on. Never owned a K-series so I cannot opine on them. Oh, almost forgot..I do own a Honda pressure washer and it's never failed to start or run over the past ten years.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 12-11-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: What is the “ideal” oil level?

Originally Posted by ezone
Wrong all the way around IMO.

The oil level is inconsequential for warmup time as long as it has enough. (If it doesn't have enough, it won't warm up ever again)

Engines HAVE to be able to run cold. You're in a place you barely even see real cold.....and the people in the freekin arctic circle don't have the kind of problems you are thinking about.
No, you probably shouldn't hotrod a stone cold engine (at least give it a few seconds to get the oil flowing FFS) but doing so probably isn't going to do a lot of harm in the short term.

Oil technology these days is light years ahead of what your dad and grandpa and great grandpa grew up with.

Engineers already took this into account. Anywhere between the low mark and high mark is safe.

My personal preference is the full mark.
Thank you. You're right that my car never sees "real" cold. I now live in Tennessee, so I hardly see "real" cold. So basically, you're saying that where the oil is between the marks doesn't matter much, as long as it is between the marks? I am probably overthinking this.
Old 12-11-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

So basically, you're saying that where the oil is between the marks doesn't matter much, as long as it is between the marks? I am probably overthinking this.
You're most definitely overthinking it, but at least you're asking the questions to further educate yourself.

Stick with the 3.7qts as laid out in the user manual and call it a day.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You're most definitely overthinking it, but at least you're asking the questions to further educate yourself.

Stick with the 3.7qts as laid out in the user manual and call it a day.
Ok, thank you.
Old 12-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Dude checks his own oil! Thar puts him far ahead of 98% of the motoring public (appliance users).
Old 12-11-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

wait, you're supposed to check oil level? /s

All kidding aside, you're terrifyingly right with that remark x_x
Old 12-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

wait, you're supposed to check oil level?
I don't check the oil in my Civic or the GFs Fit. Yet.

OK I checked oil in my car on Saturday just before I changed it.
I checked the Fit around halloween (MM=50%)and I figured it was fine to go until the wrench light comes on.

My car just turned 30k (6 years), and the Fit just rolled 30k on my rebuild (2 years).

I check oil in the truck and the bike a lot though.
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Wink Re: What is the “ideal” oil level?

Originally Posted by ezone
Dude checks his own oil! Thar puts him far ahead of 98% of the motoring public (appliance users).
I guess better to obsess about the oil level than to ignore it!
Old 12-11-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

solid rike a rock..
i clocked 315k miles and purrs like a kitten.. my tranny just lost reverse is slower, but forward gears are going fine.. I dont know why, because i thought reverse is the one at least not used that much..

I can attest to some durability parts and i have the data to back it up.
original water pump still on it.., original timing belt tensioner, hasnt failed yet.. though i might change it this spring 315k miles, i been checking it once a year but has to be close to failure..
i finally have slight burn of oil due to oil rings stuck, but compression is 210 in all..
and leakage test is fine. **** i can just take them out and clean them and still get 200,000k.

headgasket let go on mine at 258,000 miles.
still have original exhaust all of it, and I live in upstate NY Rochester where is a snow salt belt state. body has few rust spots nothing major..
paint is peeling somewhere clear coat..

what else i have stats ask me i probably can give you aproximate lasting times of OEM.

you must have done something, or something happened.. what was the failure?
honda has one of the strictist quality control like toyota and ****...
Old 12-12-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Honda engines aren't rated in horsepower...they are rated in godzilla power.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dsm482
solid rike a rock..
i clocked 315k miles and purrs like a kitten.. my tranny just lost reverse is slower, but forward gears are going fine.. I dont know why, because i thought reverse is the one at least not used that much..

original water pump still on it.., original timing belt tensioner, hasnt failed yet.. though i might change it this spring 315k miles, i been checking it once a year but has to be close to failure..
i finally have slight burn of oil due to oil rings stuck, but compression is 210 in all..
and leakage test is fine. **** i can just take them out and clean them and still get 200,000k.

still have original exhaust all of it, and I live in upstate NY Rochester where is a snow salt belt state. body has few rust spots nothing major..

what else i have stats ask me i probably can give you aproximate lasting times of OEM.

Impressive! My OEM water pump failed at 110K miles and almost severely overheated my engine, my timing belt tensioner seized up and tore the belt off at 115,000 miles, luckily no damage was done, and then the engine blew up on the highway for no reason at 120K. Maybe I just got a dud engine, since the rest of the car is rock solid. I just replaced my original front struts, tie rod ends and control arm bushings as a preventative at 230K miles, and I replace my “lifetime” fuel filter at 100K mile intervals. The second time I replaced the fuel filter, I changed the fuel pump too as a preventative since it had 200K on it and I don’t like getting stranded. Transmission is original and doing great for now, but I am not expecting it to last much longer. I did a fluid drain and fill on it every 30K miles, and I always used Valvoline Import Synthetic fluid in it.

Last edited by D17VTECPOWER; 12-12-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dsm482
solid rike a rock..

I’ll upload pictures of the failures later. A rod blew up, it spun most of the bearings and a piston broke. Also, did your head gasket fail because the engine overheated?
Old 12-12-2017

I don’t know what caused the failure.
Did your regular maintence include valves adjustment?
Did it ever overheat or head gasket breach prior to rod/bearings damage?
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Did your regular maintence include valves adjustment?
Did it ever overheat or head gasket breach prior to rod/bearings damage?
I adjust the valves every 50K miles and it never severely overheated before it exploded. Once it got to 235 degrees when the water pump failed, but I immediately stopped before anything was damaged. And no, the head gasket didn't fail before it exploded.
Old 12-12-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

My OEM water pump failed at 110K miles and severely overheated my engine, my timing belt tensioner seized up and tore the belt off at 115,000 miles, luckily no damage was done, and then the engine blew up on the highway for no reason at 120K.
what makes you believe no damage done?
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
what makes you believe no damage done?
I meant to say "almost" severely overheated the engine since I almost didn't notice the temp. And I highly doubt that a timing belt tensioner issue that didn't cause the valves and pistons to hit would cause the pistons, rods and bearings to fail 5K miles later.
Old 12-12-2017

Did you purchase the car new or used?
If used, was the head gasket ever breached or engine overheated?

What I'm getting at is if there was ever a scenario in which anti-freeze mixed with oil and coated the engine internals for an extended period it could cause expedited engine wear and possibly lead to the damage you mentioned.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Did you purchase the car new or used?
If used, was the head gasket ever breached or engine overheated?

What I'm getting at is if there was ever a scenario in which anti-freeze mixed with oil and coated the engine internals for an extended period it could cause expedited engine wear and possibly lead to the damage you mentioned.
I bought the car used from a friend that works at Enterprise rentals with almost 15K miles on it. It was previously used as a rental car, so it was probably taken care of pretty well. I have no reason to believe that it was ever abused or overheated before I bought it.
Old 12-12-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

anywhere between the marks.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
anywhere between the marks.
I think that there is enough of a safety margin that the engine could be safely run with the oil level slightly overfilled or slightly under filled without causing damage. My friend ran his Civic 2.5 quarts low on oil by accident with no ill effects.
Old 12-12-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I think that there is enough of a safety margin that the engine could be safely run with the oil level slightly overfilled or slightly under filled without causing damage. My friend ran his Civic 2.5 quarts low on oil by accident with no ill effects.
For now...

That is way too low. That will cause damage, especially if done repeatedly for long periods of time
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
For now...

That is way too low. That will cause damage, especially if done repeatedly for long periods of time
I never said it's a good idea, I said that he got away with it.
Old 12-12-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I never said it's a good idea, I said that he got away with it.
The part in red implies that you do
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
The part in red implies that you do
2.5 quarts is NOT 'slightly". "Slightly" would mean 1/4 to 1/2 quart IMO.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Which spark plugs are best for performance?

I have heard that copper spark plugs are far superior to platinum and iridium in performance, even though they have to be changed more. Is there any truth to that? I don't mind changing copper spark plugs more often if they perform better. So do copper spark plugs actually make a better spark than platinum or iridium? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2017

Re: Which spark plugs are best for performance?

Allow this to "Advance" your knowledge base: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...en-spark-plugs

Don't think you can find copper plugs in the recommended NGK line for your 7th gen..but, I could be wrong. Honda's are very particular with spark plug manufacturer brand as well.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Allow this to "Advance" your knowledge base: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...en-spark-plugs

Don't think you can find copper plugs in the recommended NGK line for your 7th gen..but, I could be wrong. Honda's are very particular with spark plug manufacturer brand as well.
Auto parts stores would much probably rather sell expensive spark plugs, so they will say that cheaper plugs suck. Also, the platinum spark plugs that are recommended might be recommended because they last the longest, even if they do not perform the best. The "average" person would probably prefer longevity to performance.
Old 12-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

You're not gonna notice enough of a difference to matter. Copper, while it'll conduct electricity better, will wear down far too quickly. Iridium being a hard metal will last longer, but they're pricey. Back when I was looking up spark plugs for turbo (was boosted in my 2002 for a hot minute), Denso Iridium IK22's were the go-to plugs for boosted D17s. Installed those in 2007, and only did one more spark plug change (to NGK iridiums) after that. I think I paid $30 for 4 of the IK22's and $25 for the NGKs.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

You're not gonna notice enough of a difference to matter. Copper, while it'll conduct electricity better, will wear down far too quickly. Iridium being a hard metal will last longer, but they're pricey. Back when I was looking up spark plugs for turbo (was boosted in my 2002 for a hot minute), Denso Iridium IK22's were the go-to plugs for boosted D17s. Installed those in 2007, and only did one more spark plug change (to NGK iridiums) after that. I think I paid $30 for 4 of the IK22's and $25 for the NGKs.
So copper spark plugs don't perform any better than iridium?
Old 12-12-2017
Administrator
Administrator

General consensus in the internet world is don't use copper on distributorless ignition systems. They'll wear out far too quickly.

“Copper core single platinum spark plugs are not designed to withstand this reverse polarity firing and will suffer premature gap growth due to center electrode erosion. Gap growth will stress ignition system components by requiring more voltage to fire,” said Dave Buckshaw, Honeywell CPG trainer for the FRAM and Autolite brands. “This degradation can be noticeable as soon as 20,000 miles after the plug is installed.”
Honeywell is a rather large company. In the aftermarket world, they're known for Garrett turbochargers.

Copper spark plugs are best for older (pre-‘80s) vehicles with low voltage distributor-based ignition systems. Don’t use copper spark plugs in high-energy distributor-less ignition systems (DIS) or coil-on-plug (COP) ignition systems. They’ll wear out too quickly.
From the link The Great Mr. Dong provided

Though many technicians and do-it-yourselfers believe that copper core plugs can be used on waste spark DIS ignition systems, Autolite says that is not true. Ordinary copper spark plugs may function well initially, but the electrodes will wear prematurely and eventually cause ignition misfire.
From another random link found while googling

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave