View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Which spark plugs are best for performance?

Seems like confusing two things together..

Sure copper is better conductor, so it makes it the fraction of a percentage easier for the coil to make a spark so it’s a better performance spark plug.

But even if you had a super conductor spark plug compared to a glass insulator spark plug as long as the coil is strong enough to make either spark your not going to see any engine performance difference abit the higher drain of the alternator with the latter.
Old 12-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Spark plugs cannot ever create more power than the engine design allowed in the first place, no matter how much hype you hear in advertising nor how much you want to believe the parts pimps at DangerZone..

Correct spark plugs will function as the engineers intended, unleashing all the power and fury the engineers designed that engine to produce.

Incorrect spark plugs are never recommended.

My definition of correct might include the standard type plug in the correct style and heat range as originally specified by the engineers.....of course NGK or DENSO brands because those are the OEM.

Precious metal plugs are long life plugs, 100k (or more IMO), while standard plugs are 30k replacement interval--and a cheaper price

Bosch platinum....JUST SAY NO
Old 12-12-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Though many technicians and do-it-yourselfers believe that copper core plugs can be used on waste spark DIS ignition systems, Autolite says that is not true. Ordinary copper spark plugs may function well initially, but the electrodes will wear prematurely and eventually cause ignition misfire.
2 problems here:
While the above statements may be (*are*) true,
1) Autolite is not an OEM to Honda
2) Honda does not use "waste spark" ignition.

And manufacturers who produced engines that used waste spark ignition DID use Plain Jane standard plugs in them. From the factory. Until precious metal plugs became common and relatively cheap.

Copper plugs are fine as long as you don't try to push them far beyond their mileage limits, because the size of the gap increases as the electrodes wear. Excessive spark gap can put a tremendous unnecessary load on ignition coils and their controls.
Old 12-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about
Re: How strong are our engines built?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Impressive! My OEM water pump failed at 110K miles and almost severely overheated my engine, my timing belt tensioner seized up and tore the belt off at 115,000 miles, luckily no damage was done, and then the engine blew up on the highway for no reason at 120K. Maybe I just got a dud engine, since the rest of the car is rock solid. I just replaced my original front struts, tie rod ends and control arm bushings as a preventative at 230K miles, and I replace my “lifetime” fuel filter at 100K mile intervals. The second time I replaced the fuel filter, I changed the fuel pump too as a preventative since it had 200K on it and I don’t like getting stranded. Transmission is original and doing great for now, but I am not expecting it to last much longer. I did a fluid drain and fill on it every 30K miles, and I always used Valvoline Import Synthetic fluid in it.
i find hard to believe, its not the first honda i own.. millage is low, unless something happened or someone used aftermarket parts..
Old 12-12-2017

I have no reason to believe that it was ever abused ....... before I bought it.
Google Hertz rent a racer, where you could rent a Shelby Mustang and take it to the track if you so desired.......People would install rollcages and slicks for the drag strip, and remove them before returning the cars to the rental lot.
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ezone
Google Hertz rent a racer, where you could rent a Shelby Mustang and take it to the track if you so desired.......People would install rollcages and slicks for the drag strip, and remove them before returning the cars to the rental lot.
This is a Civic, not a Shelby Mustang.
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Which spark plugs are best for performance?

the stock ones
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikey1
the stock ones
But are the stock ones best for performance, or just longevity?
Old 12-13-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

both, you drive a civic not a racecar
Old 12-13-2017

This is a Civic, not a Shelby Mustang.
What's that go to do with rental car abuse?

Based on your posting history, it seems you WANT your Civic to be a Shelby Mustang
Old 12-13-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Is there any other reason to rent a car? LOL

Based on your posting history, it seems you WANT your Civic to be a Shelby Mustang
Right. I get the same vibe from his posts. Got to give him credit though, at least he's inquiring and trying to gain knowledge.
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Definitely not BOSCH spark plugs in a Civic!
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
both, you drive a civic not a racecar
What do you mean that I don’t drive a rice car?
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

I think that someone is much more likely to run the s*** out of a Mustang than a little Civic that didn’t even make 100 HP at the wheels.
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

How do I check my reputation?

My reputation is 0 and red, and I don’t know why. How do I check to see which posts got me negative rep? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

Re: What would happen if I increase compression to 12.5:1?

You gave negative rep because I didn’t know something? I did search, and I didn’t find anything that answered my questions.
Old 12-13-2017

I think that someone is much more likely to run the s*** out of a Mustang than a little Civic that didn’t even make 100 HP at the wheels.
I'd think the opposite. Or both. Some people gonna flog the poop out of a small engine to keep ahead of traffic!

You know that horrible grind sound you get when you try to start an engine that's already running? You can do that to a rental car ALL DAY LONG

I see ex rental cars (from the auctions) pass through the used car department all the time. It's really hit and miss as to whether or not an ex rental received anything more than two oil changes by 15k, and whether or not it was beat to death by abusive drivers. Some are nice, some are crap. Some have been crashed a little (or crashed hard), some not.
Old 12-13-2017

But are the stock ones best for performance, or just longevity?
Both.

As I stated before, spark plugs CANNOT make more power....but the wrong ones can rob you of power..

The OE plugs wear so slowly, they COULD outlast the engine if they never get fouled.
Old 12-13-2017

You gave negative rep
I hope you aren't talking to me....
Old 12-13-2017
Registered!!

I hope you aren't talking to me....
I'm talking to whoever gave me negative rep. I don't know who did it.
Old 12-13-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: How do I check my reputation?

Top menu, left side. User cp.
Scroll down
Old 12-13-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: What is the “ideal” oil level?

I think that there is enough of a safety margin that the engine could be safely run with the oil level slightly overfilled or slightly under filled without causing damage. My friend ran his Civic 2.5 quarts low on oil by accident with no ill effects.
Define safely
Old 12-13-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the “ideal” oil level?

In my past experience with giant engine/turbine oil systems, I can assure you there's always some margin between the low mark and the "holy **** something is gonna break" low oil level. That is, however, not a margin you want to venture into to test that limit. Sooner than later you'll break something because someone assumed "oh, I'm at the 'low' mark. I'll be fine.. for now.."

Common saying where I worked: there are failsafes in place, but you never, never want to test them. Just hope they work when SHTF.

My experience: oil systems for various lubrication systems associated with a nuclear power/propulsion plant: steam turbine driven pumps, main shaft (ship's propeller) support bearings, power generating turbine lubrication systems, etc. I never did work on the main engine side of a nuclear propulsion plant, just the reactor/reactor support systems side.
Old 12-13-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

My reputation is 0 and red, and I don’t know why. How do I check to see which posts got me negative rep? Thanks.
I got my rep up by having secretly having two accounts. My hush-hush account gives positives to my Dong account.
This is akin to when I use to ask my mom to call my pager when I was out on a date so I would look important..
Old 12-13-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

There is also the physical difference. The thin iridium tip allows for higher concentration for a better and more reliable spark when compared to older bigger designs.
Old 12-13-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Megalodong
I got my rep up by having secretly having two accounts. My hush-hush account gives positives to my Dong account.
This is akin to when I use to ask my mom to call my pager when I was out on a date so I would look important..
LOL, no misleading replies here, bud, this the site questions concerns section, were you were reborn
Old 12-13-2017

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
LOL, no misleading replies here, bud, this the site questions concerns section, were you were reborn
OP: I don't really have two accounts..I'm just a dork.
Old 12-14-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Megalodong
OP: I don't really have two accounts..I'm just a dork.
Hahaha, my explanation was enough, no worries
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Is my battery voltage too low?

I have noticed that my 2005 Civic seems to be losing battery voltage on my Scanguage. This happens mainly at idle. The voltage at idle is sometimes under 13 volts with just headlights and blower motor on. I converted all my lighting to LED, so the lights aren’t drawing much power compared to the stock ones. At idle, I can cause the voltage to drop to around 12 if I fully load the electrical system and press a window switch. I thought that anything under 13 volts when the system is under full load is bad? I have a big 3 upgrade, and I also have an Optima Yellowtop D34 battery in the trunk and a fairly new alternator. All grounds and battery cables are upgraded, I have a 4 gauge alternator power wire, and the belt is new and tight, so I don’t get it. I almost wonder if the alternator is failing, but I wouldn’t think that an alternator that I just replaced less than a year ago would be failing. I would appreciate any help, this is worrying me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Is my battery voltage too low?

Go read about Honda's ELD system. It's totally normal, they do it to help with fuel economy.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave