View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY cylinder head porting on exhaust port?

If you don't have a header with larger ports, it ain't gonna do jack.
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough
Re: What effect does open header have on HP?

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
No matter what, it'll be offset by the severe lack of low end torque. When I first installed my header way back when, it got offset by a half inch. Car sounded like a Harley and couldn't get up a driveway. Car needs backpressure
That's strange. Mine runs just fine with no exhaust. Also, how would backpressure be beneficial? I don't understand how an exhaust restriction would help.
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
If you don't have a header with larger ports, it ain't gonna do jack.
But I do. I have a DC Sport 4-1 header. How much power can I gain if I port match the exhaust ports to the tubes on the header?
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Stage 1 cam?

Several older members actually put theirs in Dynos, so confirmed at wheels. No ECU changes. Just Intake/Header/Exhaust, and drop the Crower in
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Ideal oil temp?

I did not see it myself, but it have been reported as having them. Not sure how they look liker, though.
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Several older members actually put theirs in Dynos, so confirmed at wheels. No ECU changes. Just Intake/Header/Exhaust, and drop the Crower in
So I could be making 160 HP at the crank for $380?
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

it does not allow the gases to move freely, so it actually helps the piston move downward during the exhaust cycle. I think that was the theory, but have been decades since my ICE classes.

You are simply thinking on a very narrow range of what the engine needs to perform, that the gases are better being pulled out as quickly as possible, but low/med are important, or else you will never get at the top range, or take a lifetime to get there while pulling the car's weight.

Torque is what matters most in street driving, not HP, and is what pulls you out of the corners faster.
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

I did not see it myself, but it have been reported as having them. Not sure how they look liker, though.
That's weird, because mine doesn't have them. Maybe the USDM engines don't have them?
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

at which RPM range? Upper, it will make the flow smoother, but low/med actually likes turbulent better.

Anyway, older members that put them in dinos showed 2-3HP?

Search through the older dino charts
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

at which RPM range? Upper, it will make the flow smoother, but low/med actually likes turbulent better.

Anyway, older members that put them in dinos showed 2-3HP?

Search through the older dino charts
What would the compromise be?
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

nope, you need the I/H/E - maybe for you, that already have them.

I had the CAI, then dropped the cam - it was quite impressive.

recently i put the DC sport header and it went even higher, but not as much as the cam, obviously. wonder how much it would be felt if i did all the I/H/E before dropping the cam in.
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

again, this is info from older members.
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

see this thread, for example - maybe they are not there, but seems the information is not only from this forum. Starts at post #6

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...sy-swap-91921/
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

note:

the 7th gen forums have a lot of the engine crazes that were once on this forum - actually, it's an off-shoot from here.
for more detailed info, you can hit there, not many engine crazes here, sadly.

However, they chew up newbies there (have been some years that i don't visit there, so not sure who is still there.
Old 11-18-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

leave as is?

PS: left some posts in the oil temp thread, check it.
Old 11-18-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I like this guys videos.

It might give you 1-3 hp by itself but I think it just moves the torque curve. The D17 is not a powerful engine.
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I like this guys videos.

https://youtu.be/zi2BexMQlZY

https://youtu.be/H5_mjzjTZn4

It might give you 1-3 hp by itself but I think it just moves the torque curve. The D17 is not a powerful engine.
Thanks for the links. I love his videos too. I've been a subscriber for years.
Old 11-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did I tow too much?

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
Oh, I see. That article was very helpful. So the torque converter slipping is basically an inefficient way of gearing down the engine RPM for more torque to the wheels?
Are you familiar with how a manual transmission and clutch work?

High gear/low engine RPM, maybe 40 MPH in 5th gear....you neeeeeed to accelerate quickly....so you mash the gas pedal to the floor........ do you expect a rapid rate of acceleration?
No.
If you want to accelerate rapidly, you downshift to a more appropriate gear so the engine can run within its powerband.
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Are you familiar with how a manual transmission and clutch work?

High gear/low engine RPM, maybe 40 MPH in 5th gear....you neeeeeed to accelerate quickly....so you mash the gas pedal to the floor........ do you expect a rapid rate of acceleration?
No.
If you want to accelerate rapidly, you downshift to a more appropriate gear so the engine can run within its powerband.
Yup, I understand a manual. I understand why an automatic would downshift when accelerating. What I don't understand is how the torque converter slipping would improve acceleration. Wouldn't that be a little like saying if you slip the clutch on a manual you would improve acceleration because the engine would be at a higher RPM where it can make power? I just don't understand.
Old 11-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What I don't understand is how the torque converter slipping would improve acceleration.
A TCC that slips when it should be fully locked, is bad.

A TCC that is engineered to be slipped, IMO is not done for torque transfer purposes nor torque multiplication purposes.

Don't confuse TCC with torque converter. They are two separate components within the same housing.
Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
A TCC that slips when it should be fully locked, is bad.

A TCC that is engineered to be slipped, IMO is not done for torque transfer purposes nor torque multiplication purposes.

Don't confuse TCC with torque converter. They are two separate components within the same housing.
I understand that the TCC and torque converter are 2 different things. What I don't understand is how the torque converter slipping from not being locked improves acceleration.
Old 11-18-2017

What I don't understand is how the torque converter slipping from not being locked improves acceleration.
Torque multiplication....but as stated before that is at its maximum at stall, and decreases as input and output shaft speeds rise and become closely matched.

The basic torque converter is a fluid coupling so it isn't really considered "slip" per se; it will never maintain a 1:1 ratio under any load without a TCC.

A basic torque converter graph from GIS:

If that img doesn't work just copy/pasta
Old 11-19-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

in the end, what did you decide to do about the cars?
Old 11-19-2017
Registered!!

Is this header decent?

My crappy DC Sports header has been cracked for over a year, and I don't think it's worth having it welded. It'll probably just crack somewhere else if I do. I tried all the exhaust repair products, and none of them worked for long. I think I am better off replacing it, and I found this header:
Amazon Amazon
It looks well made and is reasonably priced, but I don't know if it's performance or longevity will be good. I don't want to buy a POS that will just crack again or be worse performance wise. What do you think of this header? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

in the end, what did you decide to do about the cars?
I didn't do anything yet, but I'll let you know when I do.
Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

Should I let my car warm up?

What I’ve always done in the winter is tape off the upper grill to help the engine warm up quicker, start the engine, let it idle for about 30-60 seconds before driving to ensure that oil and other fluids are flowing to all components and build a little heat in the engine, then drive off gently without using the heater until the engine fully warms up, then drive as normal. Is that the right thing to do? I can let the engine idle until it warms up, but I believe that I would be doing more harm than good running then engine while it’s cold for more time than required. I want to do the best thing possible for the car, a 2005 Civic VTEC, which is why I’m asking. I always use high quality full synthetic fluids and I always change the oil and filter right before winter with high quality 0w20 oil, like Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, or Valvoline Synpower, and a quality filter, like Wix, Mobil or Purolator. I always wax the car before winter and summer. I also frequently pressure wash the outside of the car, the underside of the car and the engine compartment to remove salt. Is there anything else I can do to prevent damages? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

Am I the only one who constantly has an engine light?

My 2005 Civic VTEC has had the engine light in for over 4 years. The cat melted and caused the engine to not run right, so I cut it off and welded a pipe in. $80 for a universal high flow cat wasn’t worth it to me since we don’t have inspections in this state. Then the downstream o2 sensor died, so P0420 changed to P0140. No big deal, right? So now I’m up to $110 for the engine light to go off. Not worth it to me. Then the EGR valve stuck open, so I removed it, cut the base off and welded a metal plate over it to make a block off. No big deal. That’s $200 to get the engine light off. Waste of money to me, I’m saving for a K swap. Now the upstream A/F ratio sensor died, causing P0134. That I will fix, because it can effect the A/F ratio, but the cat, EGR valve and downstream o2 sensor won’t get fixed, the engine light doesn’t bother me. I now wonder if I am the only one in the world that lives with an engine light. What are your experiences with engine lights?
Old 11-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Am I the only one who constantly has an engine light?

I now wonder if I am the only one in the world that lives with an engine light.
Yes, you are.

Do a quick fix and put a piece of electrical tape over the CEL..problem solved
Old 11-20-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Re: Should I let my car warm up?

I have a downhill right after leaving driveway. I just turn it on and drive. naturally, not mashing throttle until it gets more heat

some say they idle for 5 -10 minutes, but that is really not going to heat engine - rich mixture.
Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

Re: Am I the only one who constantly has an engine light?

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Yes, you are.

Do a quick fix and put a piece of electrical tape over the CEL..problem solved
It’s not causing any problem, so why waste money fixing it? What would the advantage be?

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave