Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

The 7thGen Swap FAQ.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wantaturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
is that usually included in a swap? sorry im just trying to know all i need to know about doing this. what does the k-frame look like so i know what to look for? i also have the megan racing downpipe for the d17, can i stll use it? does it fit? i know the midpipe has to be extended but its custom anyway and the guy said he would give me a whole new midpipe with resonator for 50 bucks so thats cool.

Last edited by wantaturbo; 05-23-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2004
Registered!!

oh and is there any other company other than hasport who sells the mounts because $600 is a lot of money if i am spending atleast $3500 just on the engine. do you know about how much install would be. i would attempt to do it in my auto shop class at school(yes i am still in high school-3 more weeks) but i dont want to mess it up, i want it done right.
thanks
Old 05-24-2004
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
the kframe is the big cradel under the motor/trans that holds it in there, the lower control arms connect to it. No you can't use your downpipe from your d17, the cat for the rsx is right after the exhaust manifold. I trust in hasport for mounts there might be another company that makes them but i don't know who. And i have no idea how much labor will be, me and my friend did mine.
Old 05-25-2004
Registered!!

ok, well thanks you have been a big help
Old 05-27-2004
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawk
And i have no idea how much labor will be, me and my friend did mine.
DIY represent!

Why would you need a shop to do it? Its the best way to learn about your car. Dont have the tools? You can rent most of the big stuff you need (i.e.-cherry picker, etc...), and if you are gonna call yourself a true enthusiest, you should have a good set of tools anyways. Scared you are gonna brake something? Thats half the fun Dont have the time? You have time to sleep right? Thats the time you could be spending working on the car. Its always fun working all night with a buddy on a car with good music and a case of beer. Thats the American dream right there.
Old 05-31-2004
Registered!!

cvc2f2f is an unknown quantity at this point
Operation: S.w.a.p.

what a long list of discussion! took me 20 min to read through it all. ok, i just bought for $5300, a 2003 K20A JDM spec engine and trans. took me 4 hrs just to get the left and right engine brackets inplace. its me and my good friend whos a honda tech at a honda dealer so he knows these cars well. the engine i have came with the engine trans and 4 HUGE rotors with calipers, brake lines and knuckles... of course, an uncut engine harness and ecu. up to this point i have spent close to $11,000. the list is: sparco torino2 seats, injen intake, new valve covers, skunk2 coilovers, vtec2 controller, pioneer AVIC-N1 dvd/navi unit, aem power pulleys, EXEDY stage 2 clutch and 9lb flywheel, plastic radiator, aem fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, and other stuff that i cant think of, (o yeh and hasport motor mounts... brian who did the swap there on their 4 dr civic is very helpful), $900 in acura dealer parts (clutch master, shift linkage) o wait forgot to tell you the civic was AUTOMATIC!!! yikes. its a 2002 honda civic ex coupe that i ripped out the backseat and did $4k in audio work... fiberglass, 4 10's ps2 the works... so its a 2 seater now... my email address is 'allhondaparts@aol.com' i sell honda parts cheaper than retail at the dealerships.... im wondering if these 4 heavy brake assemblies will bolt on or not.... what about the dash harness, do i just plug it in, it seems to be the same type of plug, BUT, do the wires match up, and if not does anyone have the wiring tech sheets for it? where do i buy brake pads for this thing????

thanks,

Ken F.
Central NJ
Old 06-04-2004
Registered!!

i want to do it myself but after june 17th i wont have access to a lift until until september. i graduate and my auto shop teacher wont be there all summer but he said i can come back anytime next year and use any tool i need. i have plenty of tools at home, my dad loves them but i dont have a lift.
i might have a friend who works at a shop who may be able to help. her car stays there weeks at a time so that may work. Anyways though ill get it done.
tonight a civic coupe told his friends he smoked me because he past me at about 80 when i was going 60 all on a 40mph road. I didnt know we were racing but he claims he "smoked" me. I want to be able to talk **** to him and be able to back it. Im not sure if i could beat him because i dont know what hes running under the hood but it wasnt that fast. Hes just a ***** and i want to beat him where it counts. If anyone knows a black 2 door civic im mission viejo ca, area other than nester let me know.
oh and what is up with subaru's always wanting to race me. my life sux someone give 10 grand. peace
Old 06-05-2004
Registered!!

i thought you had to drop it out of the bottom and lower the car onto the new engine? am i tottlay wrong? oh yeah the screen name was made when i first got my car and i thought the only possibility was turbo so now i should change it to wanttheswap or wantak20 or something.
that was really lame i know
Old 06-05-2004
Registered!!

annother stupid question, does the rsx type-r motor fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

it looks way sweet and im just curious,lsd tranny would be nice too
Old 06-05-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
its the same size motor, just has a bunch of goodies in it, IE: lsd, better cams, better intake mani, better ecu tune. So to answer your question yes it will fit, i stated the k20a in my first post too....
Old 06-05-2004
Registered!!

yep, pretty much same setup as the type s just the bells n whistles...
Old 06-07-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Do the Civic gages work properly?Do they give you the right numbers(with the k20a)? When you say doner car, you mean one that has been scrapped and is at the junk yard?

Last edited by nindoo; 06-07-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

the civic gauges work fine. Everything they receive is from the RSX ecu so it's acurate.

My donor car was at a junkyard, i had it flatbedded to my friends shop and we proceeded to take everything off of it. Once we raped it it was sent back to another junkyard from then i presume they crushed it, cause everything that was usable we took off of it.
Old 06-07-2004

What kind of things should I keep an Eye out for when I'm looking for a donor car
Old 06-07-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

make sure theres light or no damage to the front of the car, you don't want to have to replace stuff on the motor, or find out later theres a leak or something.
Old 06-08-2004

Say I buy an engine of ebay with the appropriate parts. K20A from Japan, do I still need to get the ECU flahsed for the imobolizer.
Old 06-08-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

the jdm motors don't have immobilizers so no. I don't have a jdm motor so i can't tell you exactly what needs to be done, i'm sure someone else can
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Em2Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hondata will take care of that for sure and the honda dealership might
Old 06-08-2004

I read that the K20A requires fuel with an octane rating not available in North America. Is that true?
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

ecu

i am in the process of this swap... k20 jdm motor in my 02 civic and so far so good, but the dash harness has to be repined using the 02 civic ex tech book from honda as well as the 03 civic si tech book so you know where the wires go and to make them match. i have to implement a new power steering pump to my rack & pinon, of course u dont have to, but i like the convienence of it.... also i have still yet to get my fuel pump working, probably a wiring issue... will keep u posted...
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

hey cvc2f2f, how long did it take you to get that far, 2days, 2 weeks?
Old 06-10-2004
Registered!!

8 contact hours in 2 days. 4 hours a day.... take off body kit, drop engine, raise new engine, motor mounts, ecu repinned... OBVIOUSLY its not done, but we got it running 2 b sure the engine was good.... now have to do the a/c lines, pwr steering, 4 suspensions, etc...
Old 06-10-2004
mig
Registered!!

mig is an unknown quantity at this point
so when you say all RSX-S bolt ons work with a 7thgen swap, does that include the JR Race version supercharger?
Old 06-10-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

supercharger from the RSX-S does not fit, it won't clear the rad support. Hasport is gonna try to get the SI supercharger to work with a k20'd 7thgen in July. Only thing with that is the car will also have to be converted to electric power steering from the SI.
Old 06-10-2004
mig
Registered!!

mig is an unknown quantity at this point
From the JR website material, it looks like the SC for the SI and RSX are the same model. is it basically a mounting difference? Using the SI SC, I'd still want the output of the RSX-S racing version. hope that's the deal. thanks.
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

a good topic on the k20 swap is the 'FUEL OCTANE' any 1 know what the fuel reqmnts are in japan??? is 93 going to hold up or do i have to go to linden airport and buy jet fuel???? lol im running on the mugen n1 ecu....
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

another problem that i have: i am replacing my stock from rotors and rear drums with the ITR DC5 big brake rotors for the front and back..... anyone do this yet?? where in the hell am i going to find brake pads for these puppies? they 'seem' much larger than the type s rotors.....
Old 06-11-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

on the octane, if you don't run the recommended octane on a jdm motor (cause you can't) i don't know if it will hurt the motor, but the motor won't make as much power as it's supposed to.

For brake pads your probably gonna have to order pads from a aftermarket company in Japan that makes them for the DC5R. Cause i know the calipers are different then the Type S, obviously.

btw if your doin the DC5R 5 lug swap your gonna have offset issues. your wheels are gonna stick out of your fenders. You have to find a rim with a huge offset. I even have this problem with my Type S brakes cause the RSX has a wider track than the Civic. But my offset issuse is no where near as bad as it is with the DC5R brakes.

I'd pm DC5@EM2 cause he has the DC5R 5 lug setup, and he went through quite alot of research for his rims. He should be able to help you out with the brake pad situation too.
Old 06-11-2004
Registered!!

du u kno what the fuel req'mt is? i will contact king motorsports to see what the mugen ecu requires... i PM-ed him, ill see what he says, also i cked at Hondawerx.com and they did a DC5R brembo swap.... so idk about that,,, thats about $2000 and im running low on funds after all this.... lol, pushing $15k after sparco seats and rims/tires/labor/parts/pioneer avic-n1 navi..... lol
Old 06-11-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

btw the hondawerx car is DC5@EM2's....

i think they run over 100+ octane in japan.

Quick Reply: The 7thGen Swap FAQ.