Engine Swaps Post information/questions about Engine Swaps here!

The 7thGen Swap FAQ.

Old 02-23-2004
You boost, I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation The 7thGen Swap FAQ.

I figured there is probably a need for one of these here. Plus it'll cut down on my PM's

If mods deem it worthy, sticky it.

Q. What motor will fit in my 2001-04 Civic?

A. As of right now mounts are available for the K20 (A2 - RSX-S, A3 - SI, A - DC5 Type R, Civic Type R). Hasport is working on mounts for the K24 (CRV, TSX, Accord). They might also do mounts for the B series.

Q. Where can i find a motor?

A. Look around salavage yards, salavage yard websites, ebay, motor importer websites, k20's don't seem very hard to find anymore.

Q. Where can i buy the mounts?

A. http://www.hasport.com

Q. What parts will i need for the swap?

A. http://www.hasport.com/News/Articles/ESK1parts.htm

Q. What has to be modified to work with my car?

A. If using a Civic cat-back, you have to have a exhaust shop modify the mid-pipe. If using a RSX cat-back it needs to be lengthened (once again by a exhaust shop, unless your handy with a welder). The bracing under the hood also needs to be cut away for the power steering pump to fit . A carbon fiber hood might work to (fiber images does)

Q. Will my immobilizer still work?

A. Yes, you can have the RSX/SI ECU re-flashed to work with your key/immobilizer.

Q. What will i need to have my ECU re-flashed.

A. You have to bring the car to Acura/Honda (depending on your motor) with the motor in it, helps if you've had it running. For paper work you'll need a bill of sale of some sorts (title, receipt) and the vin number of the car you got the motor from. Acura/Honda will run a check to make sure the motor isn't stolen.

Q. Can I put the RSX 5 lug brakes on my car?

A. Yes, you’ll need a few things off the RSX to do so.

For the front you’ll need the RSX struts, the knuckles won’t bolt up to the Civic struts. The ABS sensors from the RSX, the Civics won’t fit (found that out the hard way). You'll also need the front tie rod ends off the RSX.

For the rear you’ll need the e-brake cables from the RSX, the rear brake lines (they unbolt in the inner fender)

Q. What axles can i use?

A. If your doin the 5 lug conversion you can use the RSX axles. If you stay 4 lug you can use SI axles.

Q. How long will the swap take?

A. Me and my friend put about 30 actual hours of work into it, it can take less time if you have everything, and have more than 2 people working on it.

Q. How much will it cost me?

A. It all depends on what you plan on doing. Motors can range between $2,000 and $7,000. Then you have to figure in the cost of new parts purchased (mounts, harness, radiator, etc.) And then labor. If you get a doner it can be cheaper because there will be alot less to buy.

I personally recommend a doner car.

Q. What shop can do the swap?

A. I'd look around for any import tuner shop that has experience in motor swaps. It should be an easy swap for experienced swappers.

Q. Can i do the swap myself.

A. If you have access to a lift and power tools yes, it can be done. I don't know if its a driveway project, but its very possible someone can, and has done it.

Q. Is this all worth it?

A. Most deffiently, i can highly vouche for it, and you can ask anyone thats done it.

Thats all the questions i can think of, if anyone has anything else to add pm me and i'll add it.

DIY: EM2 - D17 to K20 wiring swap
Link Here:
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=206924

Last edited by Havok2k1; 07-04-2005 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KaptainKendrick (09-03-2020)
Old 02-23-2004
Bobaganoosh!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Good thread. Stickied!
Old 02-25-2004
Registered!!

briang is an unknown quantity at this point
Good job Hawk! Just a few updates, We hope to have the K24 kit out in four weeks. The B-series engines do fit. I am not sure how quickly we will have the kit out.

brian g
Old 03-03-2004
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by briang
The B-series engines do fit. I am not sure how quickly we will have the kit out.
brian g

Old 03-03-2004

keepin_it_clean is an unknown quantity at this point
you do know that he works for hasport right?
Old 03-03-2004
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by keepin_it_clean
you do know that he works for hasport right?
I figured that. Wondering about the B-series kits.. Est. cost? Timeframe of availability, etc..?
Old 03-03-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by Alex1
how hard was the wiring part? is it possible with parts purchased from hasport to be plug and play?
If you order the harness from hasport it is plug and play. The only thing you have to wire up is the secondary o2. I can send you the wiring explination that Brian sent me if you need it.
Old 03-03-2004
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Hawk
If you order the harness from hasport it is plug and play. The only thing you have to wire up is the secondary o2. I can send you the wiring explination that Brian sent me if you need it.
would u pls send it to me, bluehydros@aol.com
Old 03-04-2004
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
damn hawk...i read ur whole thread about doing ur swap to ur civic and i was like wtf?!?! how can i do that?...this has helped A LOT...good info!
Old 03-04-2004
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
is it possible to tack on the RSX gauge to the RSX ECU instead of using the civic gauge and hassport's harness?
Old 03-04-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

do you mean the gauge? tach/speedo? i'm kinda lost here.
Old 03-05-2004
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

Originally posted by Hawk
do you mean the gauge? tach/speedo? i'm kinda lost here.
yeah the guage, the whole gauge cluster
Old 03-05-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

I have the cluster sitting at my house actually (off my doner). I haven't really looked at it yet but i plan to this spring. I wanna see if i can get it to work in the Civic. Probably gonna have to change a bunch of wires on the cluster harness.

and btw i'm still not exactly sure what your question is.

Last edited by Hawk; 03-05-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2004
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

ok...i think what you're about to do, is what i am asking...i just wanna know if u can use the rsx cluster in the vic, since you're using the rsx ecu, and motor, why can't u use the cluster also? and wouldn't it be a direct bolton to the harness with no modification?
Old 03-06-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

well you have to remeber the harness thats being modified to work with the k20 is the engine harness NOT the body harness.

The cluster hooks up to the body harness. Therefore you'd have to figure out the difference in wiring of the clusters between the Civic and the RSX. which i plan to do this spring/summer.
Old 03-06-2004
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

oooooooooo....thanks for making that clarification! i was really confused for a sec there.

so where does the body harness hook up to? don't they all connect to the ECU?
Old 03-07-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

the body harness is through out the whole car. The engine harness connects to the body harness and the ecu.
Old 03-08-2004
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

aiya...CONFOOOOOSINGGGG >_<

let us know how your cluster swap goes man, hopefully it will be a great success ^_^
Old 03-20-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
kinda off topic, but you mentioned a b-series swap, wouldnt the techincally be an "illegal" swap since if you do a swap it has to be from a car of equal or newer year and there is no b-series 2001+ model?? correct me if i am wrong...
Old 03-21-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

ah theres a loop hole my friend..

Integras were still made in 2001, therefore if you can find a 2001 B18 and have a 2001 Civic it's legal, other wise its technically illegal.

I've seen older motors put in newer cars though, its a matter of getting caught really. Its not like you have to go to the state for inspection (at least in jersey).
Old 03-21-2004
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
has anyone ever swapped a base rsx automatic into a automatic civic? i'm sure a lot of you just thought "what would be the point of doing that?" but some of us (i.e. me) enjoy the ease of a AT.
Old 03-22-2004
Registered!!

Texas Rice is an unknown quantity at this point
My IE is going to crap, I can only reply. I can't post or pm so if anyone can answer this please help hehe. I have a k24 crv block. I want to mate it with the k20a2 head. Can this all be done? It is basically the same block as the TSX and Accord so that mounts and the mate should still work right? Thanks guys
Old 03-23-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

you need k24 mounts to put the motor in your civic. Hasport is supposed to release them soon. The k20a2 head will bolt to the k24.
Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea, youre gonna need those mounts, and also higher compression pistons and some other internal work done to make it work properly.
Hawk, youve done a great job on this post.
If anyone has any more detailed questions that you might not want to bother Hawk by asking, please feel free to drop me a line. Ive been getting a bunch of those PM's recently. I too, was a pioneer in the K20A2 swap just like Hawk. Im sure between the two of us, we can answer just about anything that has to do with this swap.
Keep up the good work Hawk. Is the motor still running strong? I miss mine so much. Im thinking about a K20A2 swap into an EG hatch with intake, header, exhaust, and Hondata I should be close to a high 12 on street tires. Thats not gonna happen for a little while, but I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-28-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

if you put your a2 in a EG i'd be very jealous, i've always loved EG's. My car is running...well like a civic/rsx would. No problems to speak of at all, just nuthing but fun.
Old 04-17-2004
#1 S2000 Fan

ViNRoCk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
So that HaSport link that says whats need: Is that EVERYTHING?

Parts Needed
- K20A2 or K20A3 (from Civic Si) Engine With:
- AC compressor
- alternator
- P/S pump or idler pulley (from Civic Si)
- wiring harness
- exhaust manifold and catalytic converter

- ECU
- Transmission and starter
- intermediate shaft
- Axles from either 02 Civic Si or 94 up Integra GSR (we used 02 RSX with RSX knuckles and hubs)
- RSX or 02 Civic Si subframe
- Hasport ESK1 bolt in mount kit (as of this time the kit will not work with the K24)
- Hasport ESKWH conversion wiring harness
- RSX shifter assembly and cables
- 02 Civic Si radiator and fans (although the RSX will fit with some trimming around the radiator cap opening in the grill)
- 02 Civic Si upper and lower radiator hoses (RSX are longer and may kink)
- RSX throttle cable
- RSX fuel line, brake booster line and purge line
- RSX AC line from compressor to condensor
- RSX clutch lines from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder
- Custom AC line from compressor to evaporator (Hasport should have one available by April)
- 90 Accord negative battery cable

- If you want powersteering:
- RSX high pressure powersteering hose and return line
- 92 Civic P/S resevoir w/ bracket and a section of hydraulic hose to go from the pump to the resevoir

Did they leave anything out Hawk or that list is a great list to work off of?
Old 04-17-2004
Registered!!

Music1st11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

Ok I'm doing the k20 swap right now. What intake and header do you recommend?and how hard is the customization.?
Old 04-18-2004
Registered!!

NoBottleJustThrottle is an unknown quantity at this point
You can use the stock RSX-S header and downpipe with cat. It fits just fine. If you want a Cold Air Intake, you will need something that fits the 02+ Si. Our engine bays are the same size as theirs. No customization...direct fit bolt on. The exhaust will have to be welded though.
I had my Type S motor with the stock header and an AEM CAI...it pulled very well.
Old 04-19-2004
You boost, I-VTEC

Originally posted by ViNRoCk8
So that HaSport link that says whats need: Is that EVERYTHING?

Did they leave anything out Hawk or that list is a great list to work off of?
yea thats everything you need. As you can see it really is a advantage to have a doner car.

Music1st11: i'm using a Injen SRI intake, and the stock exhaust manifold right now, but i'll be getting the jackson racing header for the RSX this summer probably.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

PrimeDynasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok I am really interested in this particular topic and I have many questions but I will start off with only a couple.

The thing I always wondered about is when buying aftermark parts espically a header-back exhaust which car are you buying it for?? For exapme I want to put the K20A2 in my 02 EX so would I buy the header for the rsx and the rest for EX?

I was also wondering, one of my friends who is a 1.8t puke (i really have nothing against them, we just heckle each other, no hard feelings 1.8ters) said that the engine would put too much stress on the shocks, is there any truth in that?

The last thing for now is about the flashing of the ecu. Can you actually drive the car to the dealership or you need to get it there by other means? If you use a Hondata ECU do you send in the RSX ECU? I would assume you would.

I am sorry if these are really newb questions but ... well i am newb when it comes to this, so any help is much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 7thGen Swap FAQ.