Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Loud Popping Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Codestp202 is an unknown quantity at this point
Loud Popping Noise?

Hey guys, first thread and post on here. I've been lurking quite a bit and i've learned some pretty cool stuff. But I come asking for advice as to what could be causing the loud popping noise coming from my front left wheel's suspension. It occurs when I am turning and from the threads i've looked through I have came to the conclusion that it may be a blown bushing on the lca? However, I'm not very knowledgable in the area of suspensions. If pictures are needed, I can get a picture sometime in the very near future. Thanks guys, Cody
Old 01-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Loud Popping Noise?

It's either the LCA bushing or the strut mounts, both cause very similar noises.

Taking a picture of the bushing would be helpful, because then we could see the condition.
Old 01-08-2011
Registered!!

Alright, I'll get my hands on a jack and some stands in the next couple days and I'll post one up as soon as i can get my wheel off.
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can see the lca bushings when the car is on the ground too. just stick your head in back of the wheel. mine are beefy ES bushings not the weak oems. thats why they look so big. yours will be almost hollow and you can tell if its broken by checking the legs connecting the center to the sides.

Name:  compfrntbush-1.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  51.4 KB
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

MMM, if its occurring when your turning both directions, I'm thinking CV joint... gotta get under there and check tho
Old 01-09-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I remember when my cv joints ***** the bed, they looked completely fine. They sounded god awful though. Boots weren't torn or anything.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Okay, I'm gonna clear the damn thing of snow and i'll grab some pictures today.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TRIZ
MMM, if its occurring when your turning both directions, I'm thinking CV joint... gotta get under there and check tho
On any other car I'd also think it was the CV joint, but our strut mounts and LCA bushings are so prone to failure even if it's both sides I think that might be the cause.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

seems okay from the pics from whats visible. try and poke around to feel the rubber, see if you can notice any cracks or pieces falling off.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

When my Old civic did this same thing when turning it was the CV Joint.
Old 01-10-2011
Registered!!

okay say its my lca bushing how much am I looking at for that to be fixed also the same for my cv joint? And are either of these jobs that I would be able to do myself or am I going to need a crazy shop tool that I won't be able to get my hands on? Thanks again guys
Old 01-10-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I've never done the LCA bushings, but I think there was a DIY posted up not too long ago. I recently had to redo a mistake some idiots at a shop did to my axles because I was too afraid to do the job myself. As you can see, I was able to do it, but my laziness and lack of desire bit me in the ***. That ran me about 250. Don't pay someone to change your axles. It's pretty easy to do. Just get one of these:

Here's a post I linked over to someone else that was asking a similar question:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4511773
Old 01-10-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by Codestp202
okay say its my lca bushing how much am I looking at for that to be fixed also the same for my cv joint? And are either of these jobs that I would be able to do myself or am I going to need a crazy shop tool that I won't be able to get my hands on? Thanks again guys
LCA bushings are a cheap part, OEM ones are about $25 and Energy Suspension are $50. The bushings need to be pressed into the arm, so thats something you'll need to have a shop do, but that only takes a few minutes so it shouldn't be to expensive if you pull the arms yourself. If you have a shop do everything though you'd be looking between $200-250.

There's also the cheap version of fixing LCA bushins here => https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-bushings.html
Old 01-11-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

by the by, this DIY was posted by one of the newbies
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-one-made.html

LCA is just a matter of popping the ball joints that are the worst part if they are stuck