Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Installing ABS unit on 2001 LX sedan.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aCarNamedFrank is an unknown quantity at this point
Installing ABS unit on 2001 LX sedan.

I recently did an engine swap from an 02 ex coupe to an 01 LX sedan. I took out the old PCM, exhaust, lock cylinders- everything from the old car. I have my eyeballs on that sweet, sweet EX abs unit. Since I have the donor car which has all of the necessary parts I don't need to buy anything extra. How difficult would it be remove and install the abs unit from the old car? I took the axles off of the ex as well which have the abs rings on them. Has anybody had any experience with this sort of thing? I'm sure it would be incredibly time consuming but that's not something I'm concerned with. Thanks for any info!
Old 12-17-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Installing ABS unit on 2001 LX sedan.

you would have to redo most of the brake lines as well, all the wheel sensors, the wiring for the sensors, etc, etc
What's wrong with the coupe? might be better off to fix that one
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
you would have to redo most of the brake lines as well, all the wheel sensors, the wiring for the sensors, etc, etc
What's wrong with the coupe? might be better off to fix that one
The body was riddled with dents and holes from the previous owners getting hit/hitting others things constantly. It was crashed 2 times into parked cars smashing the passenger headlight assembly, punching in the ac condenser and radiator and bending enough metal that sticking on a new fender and bumper would be difficult. All the crashes broke the motor mounts and controls arms. The engine was strong and I found the lx in excellent cosmetic condition with engine problems and my friend convinced me it would be a simple swap. I knew just enough to get myself into trouble, but now I certainly know that car much better than I ever thought I would.
Old 12-17-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

understood, personally i don't think it's worth the headache to put abs in a non abs car
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Well as you said you have a full donor so it’s mostly a matter of how much effort your willing to put in.

But to be “Real”,
ABS system is more than just the axles though. Knuckles with sensors, different brake lines, different engine bay electrical box, ABS unit itself, not sure on master cylinder but likely different, Body and harness wiring, ABS control unit, in cabin MICU , instrument cluster..

All of which is on 16 year old brittle harnesses and corroded lines they will want to break and snap before disconnecting.
Maybe just start with removing “everything” brake related from the old car and go from there.
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Well as you said you have a full donor so it’s mostly a matter of how much effort your willing to put in.

But to be “Real”,
ABS system is more than just the axles though. Knuckles with sensors, different brake lines, different engine bay electrical box, ABS unit itself, not sure on master cylinder but likely different, Body and harness wiring, ABS control unit, in cabin MICU , instrument cluster..

All of which is on 16 year old brittle harnesses and corroded lines they will want to break and snap before disconnecting.
Maybe just start with removing “everything” brake related from the old car and go from there.
thats a good place to start. If I get the urge to do this I’ll probably pull everything, track down where all the wiring connects sometimes when the weather gets nicer. Thanks for the tip.✌️
Old 12-17-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I hear it is a pain to bleed the unit... Maybe good to read about
Old 12-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I hear it is a pain to bleed the unit... Maybe good to read about
I try to do as much research as I can when getting into a project but I haven’t found many people who have done this specifically. It sounds like it could a fun project. Fun project can turn into hazardous nightmare at some point though. I don’t know what I don’t know yet unfortunately.