Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Honda LX abs light

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda LX abs light

Just bought 2003 Honda civic LX sedan and the ABS light is on. I did my research and LX models supposedly does not have ABS but why is my ABS light on?
Old 01-11-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda LX abs light

Got a factory sunroof? EX.
Open the hood, see if there is an ABS modulator sitting on the drivers inner fender?

If it really is an LX, and really is not equipped with ABS, then did someone swap a wrong cluster into it? (My first thought.)

You bought it this way (no prepurchase inspection either, apparently)? Ask the previous owner why the light is on.
Old 01-12-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Probably the wrong cluster..
Old 01-12-2013
Registered!!

No sunroof or ABS modulator. This is a LX model. I bought this car used from a private owner. The owner was selling it for his son. His son left for the army. So I have no history. Is their a way to check for the wrong cluster? Why would their be a fuse in for no abs car?
Old 01-12-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Probably the wrong cluster..
Therefore, probably wrong mileage too.

Originally Posted by Civic43
Is their a way to check for the wrong cluster?
I just counted 16 different choices for a sedan cluster in JUST that bulletin alone (bulletin mentioned below).... and that did not include all the other possible choices for a coupe or a 3 door or any other years than the 03-04 in that bulletin.

If it actually got replaced with a used/junkyard unit, there is probably a better chance of it being wrong than right.

PLUS I found the bulletin for the fuel gauge issue that says "replace the cluster".

I have no idea how to tell what fits what unless there is a Honda part number on the cluster, then look it up.

The vehicle wiring changed between 02 and 03, so an older cluster should definitely do strange things when connected to a newer car. ABS feeds are one item (wires) that changed between those years.

The owner was selling it for his son.
Ricer wannabee gearhead kid?

Why would their be a fuse in for no abs car?
Which fuse are you talking about?
I see at least 3 related to ABS.

Engine compartment: fuse #7-- horn and brake pedal switch
EDIT: add fuses 8 and 10 to this...both only go to the ABS modulator

Dash box fuses: #10 feeds keyless, reverse light switch (M/T) or shift lock (A/T), gauge cluster, carlink, and MICU. You need that fuse.

and fuse #11 looks like it goes to ABS modulator only......
Remove it.
What happens?

/randoms.....just woke up.

Last edited by ezone; 01-12-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: more fuses
Old 01-12-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

just post a picture of the cluster - EX is different design, some guys here have swapped them in since they like the EX design more. we usually recommend them to look for similar mileage ones so there would be no much issues on having the wrong numbers in there (or hold on to the receipt and document the mileage very well - older and newer- , to avoid being called a scammer
Old 01-12-2013
Registered!!

Here a pic of my cluster. Also I check all the fuses and their all good. I check under dash fuse and engine compartment fuses. I pull them out and abs light still on
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	84551  
Old 01-12-2013

Shouldn't the COUPE have red gauges, not the sedan?

Sedan got blue?

Anyone?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...91-post11.html
Old 01-13-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hunh.

weird. it does look a LX cluster.
here is one from a 04 LX, in another thread:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...379171640.jpg/

this below is the 01 EX:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...379096460.jpg/

original thread is here:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ters-sale.html

do you happen to have an special edition?
see in trim levels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_C...nth_generation)

you could find more info in here, but keep in mind that they are old threads, so many in there are simply not in the forums anymore.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...faq-video.html

this other one will have the wiring and pin in case you end up trying to work on the wiring later on.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...er-models.html

this one have some more info not on others.:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...wap-lx-ex.html

my search on "cluster" gave me more results, but there are a lot. try yourself too

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-13-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Shouldn't the COUPE have red gauges, not the sedan?

Sedan got blue?

Anyone?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...91-post11.html
Yea, pretty sure your right..

Im still looking on fleabay for a Blue (Sedan) cluster with side srs..its ****ing impossible to find a cluster with side srs..
Old 01-14-2013

So....it seems OP may need to do a little wire work, move the few wires to different holes to match the older cluster to his car. It's in one of those linked threads, I believe.
Old 01-14-2013
Registered!!

So I went to the local Honda dealership this morning to get clarification about clusters. Does Sedans have Blue Cluster and Coupe have red Cluster? I tell them about my ABS light is on and I think it has to do with the wrong cluster. The dealership try to tell me LX model has ABS. After they try to look it up and could not find ABS sensor, then they were convince. So ask about different color cluster for each models? They try to say well be people change them out for the color, I tell them I understand that. I just want to know what factory for 2003 sedan? They could not give me and answer. Does anybody know for sure which cluster color for which model? I am try to figure about this ABS light. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-14-2013

The dealership try to tell me LX model has ABS. After they try to look it up and could not find ABS sensor, then they were convince.
Haha. Someone could have opened the hood and looked too.

I think you will need to either do your research and modify your wiring to make this cluster work the way it should, or pony up and buy the correct cluster for the car.

Did the dealer shoot you a price for a correct new cluster? (SWAG- $600ish)

How handy are you?
My choice would be to play with the wiring (free!)....but I like spaghetti.

Alternative: Black tape over the light.
Old 01-14-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Civic43
The dealership try to tell me LX model has ABS.
the wikipedia link i gave said that the special models are equipped with ABS even if LX. however, you said that dealer did not find the ABS, so someone swapped in a cluster in there but did not bother to turn the ABS light off. Just go to the links i posted and turn the light off or put the tape like said above. changing the cluster would be way more headaches in the end.
Old 07-02-2015
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

I know this is an old thread, but i find it that the abs light is on.

I just did a DX to LX swap and my ABS light is on which is normal.

Indeed, Sedan 03-05 have blue cluster and Coupes have red clusters.

But if the original cluster was a blue one and the new one is red, it doesn't change the fact that it is still an LX car. That means it was it direct plug and play since the the previous owner simply swapped for a change of colour.

However, if you car isn't equipped with ABS, well that explains everything.
The owner changed clusters and the new red one was from a car that had ABS, while the previous blue one didn't have an ABS warning light.