I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

stock guage cluster swap? LX->EX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Psykotik_913 is an unknown quantity at this point
stock guage cluster swap? LX->EX?

I was curious if its at all possible to swap the indash cluster in my LX to one with an actual tach? I know the wiring already exists and is just tucked away, but I didn't know if it would just be a simple plug in or if the components required for it were missing too. Also, is the mileage stored in the unit its self or somewhere else?

My style (without the aftermarket):
Name:  LX2.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  6.6 KB

What I'd like to have (in blue?):
Name:  EXdash.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  5.3 KB
Old 07-27-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: stock guage cluster swap? LX->EX?

The mileage is stored in the unit itself, so try and find a cluster with approximately the same mileage as you have. I've heard Honda charges $300 to re-set the odometer..
Old 07-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

You should be fine. It's all the same wiring harness. Just use the swap thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...faq-video.html

You can find one here: http://www.car-part.com/ Shipping is usually is $20.

Last edited by lazlong; 07-27-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
The mileage is stored in the unit itself, so try and find a cluster with approximately the same mileage as you have. I've heard Honda charges $300 to re-set the odometer..
Lol i didn't even think the could legally do that.. thanks!
Old 07-28-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
You should be fine. It's all the same wiring harness. Just use the swap thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...faq-video.html

You can find one here: http://www.car-part.com/ Shipping is usually is $20.
thanks for the link... i tried lookin' around before i posted so i could save myself the newbie crap lol I appreciate the help
Old 07-31-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

01-02 lx/ex clusters (old style) with tach will plug right in. the new led style needs rewiring. if you go with old style, remember coupes have orange and sedans have green backlight.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
01-02 lx/ex clusters (old style) with tach will plug right in. the new led style needs rewiring. if you go with old style, remember coupes have orange and sedans have green backlight.
that def helps lol i'd rather not start messing with wiring until i get the speed sensor issue fixed (diff thread) is there any way to easily change the color?
Old 07-31-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

not really. you can but it involves alot of dismantling. just look for a cluster that matches the car. coupe and sedan clusters would both work. if you post a pic of the cluster you plan to get, i can tell you if its from coupe or sedan.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

http://www.lkqonline.com/

I bought mine from here. use "honda cluster 02" or honda speedo 02" should bring up lots of them. Average prices is around $60-$70. lots of mileages to choose from and it comes with the cable which is good for 01-02 03-04 swap
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kbook
http://www.lkqonline.com/

I bought mine from here. use "honda cluster 02" or honda speedo 02" should bring up lots of them. Average prices is around $60-$70. lots of mileages to choose from and it comes with the cable which is good for 01-02 03-04 swap
appreciate the link and the swap you're talking about (01-02 03-04) is that something different?
Old 08-02-2010
Premium Member

thats if you feel like rewiring the connectors. like if you wanted the new led red or blue clusters you posted in the first post. those are not simple plug in. the sockets will fit, but the wires wont match up.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Sorry I that I mentioned 03-04. That was confusing. Just like Gearbox said that you have to rewire if you plan to use 03 -05 cluster on 01-02 and 04 05 dx/vp civic . If you want to use 01-02 cluster, it will fit without rewiring so it is up to you. Good luck

ei ei by the way, I love mine blue. When I saw the coupe one, I kinda like that red color too.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

I guess my next step is to ask which one would be harder? lol Trying to stuff blue lights into the 01 cluster, or rewiring a blue 04 cluster? lesser of two evils is what i'm hoping for haha
Old 08-03-2010
Premium Member

rewiring is much easier that trying to put leds in the old cluster. if you follow the faq, you can have it done in 30 mins. its just swapping wire positions from one configuration to another.
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

I would recomend swapping to the 03-05 style gauges, You wont regret it if you do it right
Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

Btw i have a extra 03-05 sedan (blue) ex cluster if anybody is interested. Its got about 58K miles and its automatic.
Old 08-07-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
rewiring is much easier that trying to put leds in the old cluster. if you follow the faq, you can have it done in 30 mins. its just swapping wire positions from one configuration to another.
sounds good! and thanks for all the input much appreciated
Old 08-07-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by wallydude03
Btw i have a extra 03-05 sedan (blue) ex cluster if anybody is interested. Its got about 58K miles and its automatic.
how much are you lookin' for?