Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Noise shedding from brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondaexshark is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise shedding from brake pedal

I have this noise. I thought it was something to do with the cold weather. Then I thought it was something to do with a rear brake adjustment. But, now i'm kinda at the point of " I dunno" its warm out and well im not sure about the break adjustment thing.

I'll try to be the best at explaining this....

1 I press the break pedal down. (Imagine the pedal is a scale of 1-10 and 10 is pressed down completely)

2 when i release the brake pedal. 10 being all the way down.
It goes from 10 to about 3.
3 at the point of 3. Almost fully released it makes a sqeake.

does anyone know of this issue?
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

IgotCIVIC89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Noise shedding from brake pedal

Is the noise coming from the front or rear?
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

combinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura about

My rear drums make a light squeak every time I lift off the brake pedal. Does it too with the parking brake, so its pretty clear where it's coming from. Car has 110k+ on it so I'm not terribly worried, drum brakes intimidate me so the plan is basically to let it slide.
Old 03-19-2011
Registered!!

Cjski04 is an unknown quantity at this point

got the same problem here
Old 03-19-2011
Person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

light squeak too. went away briefly when i cleaned drum with brake cleaner
Old 03-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by combinatorix
My rear drums make a light squeak every time I lift off the brake pedal. Does it too with the parking brake, so its pretty clear where it's coming from. Car has 110k+ on it so I'm not terribly worried, drum brakes intimidate me so the plan is basically to let it slide.
I changed mine at 170K and they still had 3/4 the material left. That shows you exactly how much they help stop the car.
Old 03-20-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

80% of braking is in the front
Old 04-16-2011
Banned

user 73802 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar noise, but it doesnt make a sqeake noise. It make another noise like if something is hitting something else as the wheels turn.
When I press the pedal hard, it doesnt make any noise. On the other hand, on the scale from 1 - 10 as described before (Imagine the pedal is a scale of 1-10 and 10 is pressed down completely) when I press the brake pedal around 3 to 4, it makes that noise like if something is hitting something else (tick tick tick). The noise is coming from the front.
Can someone advise what to do please?
Greetings!!
Old 04-16-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ticking noise is generally an axle but it makes no sense that its doing it while the brakes are on. Have you done a front end brake inspection?
Old 04-16-2011
Banned

Originally Posted by tbohar
Ticking noise is generally an axle but it makes no sense that its doing it while the brakes are on. Have you done a front end brake inspection?
It only does the ticking noise while pressing the brakes..
I was thinking it could be uneven rotors, but I dont think it is possible because that ticking sound cant be made by rotors...

I have not done a front end inspection, but I will do it this monday. I will post the outcome if I find something

I have been driving with no radio or music just to try to hear the type of noise and from where it is coming

Does anyone has other suggestions?
Thanks!!!
Old 04-16-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

^^ Front brake inspection. Look for uneven pad wear. Might be a warped or pitted rotor. May be a stuck caliper piston.
Old 04-16-2011
Banned

Originally Posted by lazlong
^^ Front brake inspection. Look for uneven pad wear. Might be a warped or pitted rotor. May be a stuck caliper piston.
Thanks a lot for the input. I will be checking for all those possible causes of that noise.
Old 04-16-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

While your there you might as well check your balljoints, LCA bushings, axles and such for wear and tear. You want the suspension to be maintained because failures could result in an accident.
Old 04-18-2011
Banned

I checked the rotors they are good, the pads 70% good, the tie rod ends are 4 weeks old. Everything else seems to be good. I couldnt find anything that would generate that noise.
It is annoying me because I cant figure it out. Im not really sure if it is coming from either the left or right brake system or from the middle :0
But it has to be something on the brake line since it only happens when I press the brake pedal on point 3 or 4 on the scale 1 o 10...
Any other suggestions?

Thanks to those who are trying to help in this topic
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

a squeaking noise when releasing the brake is caused from the return springs on the rear drums needing to be cleaned and lubed. its a very common problem.
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

aren't the brake lines touching something on the suspension or closest parts? they move when pressure is in or out, especially when they get old. look for wear around the closest parts to the lines -if they are moving, they could be hitting something.

Look also if the metalic shields are not moving - take the wheels off, turn the car on (securely on stands, please, and be prepared to duck if car falls off) ask someone to press the pedal and see if there is not something moving then. ticking noise are not commonly associated to brake system, unless the cases mentioned above. Or i am missing something.

Maybe pads not completely seated on calipers? brake pad shims not seated correctly?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-18-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2011
Banned

Thanks for the input sdaidoji and lowlife9!!

Later today I am going to check for all the previous mentioned causes....
I bought brake parts cleaner so I am going to disassemble the front brakes and clean them good. Also, I going to check the brake line to see if something is touching.

I cant still figure out where the noise is coming from....
But I am pretty sure it has to be happening either in the brake line or in the front brake system (rotors, pads and surrounding area) since the noise is made only when applying the brakes...... Am I correct on this one?
Old 04-22-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hard to tell, cars have a bad temper... some "decades ago", one guy was annoyed by a clunking noise. The reason was a glass of coke (that's the reason i say decades...) under the rear seat that was rolling there... He replaced the whole rear and it was just this... unbeliavable "problem"...
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

I'm leaning towards a bad axle now.
Old 04-23-2011
Banned

After checking the car for a few hours, this is what I found.....

I cleaned the brake system (rotors, pads, pistons and calipers.... it doesnt have shims), and visually check the brake line to make sure nothing was touching it or hitting it.
Looks like nothing was bad on the brake line or the brake system.

This happened at the left side...
To my surprise, my brother came to ask if I found something wrong so I said no. Then, he started to check everything on the brakes and then he went the drive axle. He got the drive axle with his hand and started moving and shaking it in all directions so we heard this noise very similar to the one I hear when driving the car and pressing the brakes. Sounds like if the axle is a little loose. The noise came from the axle or bearings where you put the tire and also from the other end (close to the transmission).
I check the right side and the axle also was a little loose and made the same noise in both ends (where you put the tire and by the transmission).

As lazlong said, I cant think of anything else so I am pretty sure it will be a bad axle

Is the axle supposed to be a little loose??
Or it doesnt have to be loose at all and it doesnt have to make any noise?

These pics are only from the left side.... The right side is the opposite with the only detail that the axle is a little smaller because the transmission in closer to the right side.
You could see my hand moving the axle

Name:  CIMG7985.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  66.4 KB

This is the end of the axle by the wheel where the bearings go.
Name:  CIMG7989.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  55.4 KB

This is one end of the axle by the transmission
Name:  CIMG7997.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  40.5 KB

This is how the end by the transmission looks. (pic taken from the bottom)
Name:  CIMG8000.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  26.0 KB

Last edited by user 73802; 04-23-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

The axle is supposed to be very slightly loose but, you shouldn't be able to move it as much as you're saying it's moving though. Especially if it's making a very similar sound. If you can move it that much and hear it then it's already damaged. If you can ignore it then it will last a while before it gets bad (I drove around in my '88 hatch for 3 years on 2 bad axles. lol). If not, I recommend a new axle, and oil seal (where it goes in the tranny). Also get a clean catchpan for the tranny fluid when you take that end out so you can put it back in. Inspect the tranny fluid and determine if it needs new fluid. Might not be a bad time for a drain & fill anyways. There's a DIY for the axle replacement somewhere in here and at hondatech.com or you could download the service manual and follow it. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Looks like we got a winner, Lazlong!
So, brakes will unload the axle or load it the other way and it will release itself and start making noise. makes sense.
I gave a rep! you know 27->30 points... wow! seens my rep gives more points than before...
axle:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-one-made.html

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-23-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-23-2011
Banned

The axle is slightly loose, so if the axle is supposed to be slightly loose.....
does it have to make that noise if you move it around?
and why do I only hear the noise while slightly pressing the brakes?

Gave REP to those who helped
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by J.58.A
The axle is slightly loose, so if the axle is supposed to be slightly loose.....
does it have to make that noise if you move it around?
and why do I only hear the noise while slightly pressing the brakes?

Gave REP to those who helped
answered above
Old 04-23-2011
Banned

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
answered above
Ups yeaaa
I missed that, and it makes sense.
I never though it will be the axle
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

yeah, the glass bottle of coke is still the worst unrelated stuff doing odd thing, though
g'lucky!
Old 04-23-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
yeah, the glass bottle of coke is still the worst unrelated stuff doing odd thing, though
g'lucky!
Thread jack! True story: My uncle bought a brand new Oldsmobile when I was kid. He said he had a rattle and neither he nor anybody else, including the dealer, could find what was rattling. He drove it 8 years before he found the cause- a Bud Light bottle inside the rear driverside door with a note inside it saying "how long did it take you to find this?".
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

bwaaahahaha!
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by lazlong
Thread jack! True story: My uncle bought a brand new Oldsmobile when I was kid. He said he had a rattle and neither he nor anybody else, including the dealer, could find what was rattling. He drove it 8 years before he found the cause- a Bud Light bottle inside the rear driverside door with a note inside it saying "how long did it take you to find this?".
that, buddy, goes straight to the top of odd reasons for an unknown problem!
Old 04-26-2011
Banned

That glass of coke and the buddy are definitely odd reasons that make weird noises lol
I will be really mad to replace parts and then find out that the noise was coming from something else ... that sucks ahaha

I think I will replace those axles soon...
Im thinking those bad drive axles might damage the transmission or something else... am it right?