Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

Maintenance required light

Old 10-04-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maintenance required light

the maint reqd light is just a mileage timer and comes on at set intervals, even if nothing is wrong with the car. the headlamps of some 01-02 civics have a wire in the combo switch that can burn and cause the lo beams not to work. its actually a recall from honda. for oil, try checking the level after the car sits overnight. how much did you add last time? normally it takes around 3.2-3.4 qts. you might have massive oil burning and the level is way low.
Old 10-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grd00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gearbox - thank you for the info. I sent a link of '01 civic recalls to my friend and hopefully that clears the issue with the headlights.

We put 3 1/2 quarts in when we changed it last. I'll have her check the dipstick in the morning before she starts the car, see if she gets any better reading than we did yesterday.
Old 11-16-2010
Registered!!

Speedo is an unknown quantity at this point

For those who have not been able to get the light to go out, I discoverd last night that the process will not work if the headlights are on. Sorry if this was mentioned previously but I just figured this out last night. I was starting to think that the light required something special at 120,000 because I have always been able to reset it, but it seems you can't do it with the headlights on. Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

leosar is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks a lot
Old 04-18-2011
Registered!!

Stryfe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

I was totally about to post about this. I'm a noob!

The light has been on for like a year too. I wish I'd looked this up earlier it annoys me all the time!
Old 04-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Speedo
For those who have not been able to get the light to go out, I discoverd last night that the process will not work if the headlights are on. Sorry if this was mentioned previously but I just figured this out last night. I was starting to think that the light required something special at 120,000 because I have always been able to reset it, but it seems you can't do it with the headlights on. Hope this helps.
now that this thread came up from the dead, yes, this is true. I have aftermarket DRL installed in a US car (canadian rules...) - the darned thing simply did not allow me to reset until i took the fuse of the DRL off to reset the darned light...
Old 06-17-2011
Registered!!

liz92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
Nobody is allowed to post about this ever again! I will delete your thread no questions asked if I see it. You should know better than this. I will explain once and only once so that it doesn't get asked again.

Think of the light as a reminder. It has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of your car. It just comes on at certain mileage intervals programmed by Honda. The stupid ones rush to the dealer and get the $500 service pack which includes an oil change and inspection. Most of us here do that stuff ourselves.

The light flashes and goes off at first, but after a while it will just stay on. Again, so those that don't know will take it in. It has nothing to do with any of the recommended service intervals.

Turning off the light:

The answer is even in your manual! Hold down the trip meter button, turn the car to on, wait about 20 seconds, start the car, and let go of the button. Light is reset until the next mileage interval.

*make sure lo beam headlights are turned OFF during the procedure*

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted by Metallica454:

This was soo helpful!! THANK YOU!!!
Old 07-17-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nicemililani is just really nice

edit:

oops, never mind, I should have done a search first.
Old 06-26-2014
Registered!!

Rakakaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. New member, first time posting. I hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2016
Registered!!

Justin Bradford is an unknown quantity at this point

What would happen if one was to leave the low beams in by accident? One if those things u say don't do and it makes me wanna do it. Ha-ha
Old 03-07-2016
Registered!!

SRCHN is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, now assuming my trip meter doesn't work....(hit the button to cycle between mileage and Trip A/B and nothing happens) am I out of luck? Any way to get this thing to turn off otherwise?
Old 03-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SRCHN
Okay, now assuming my trip meter doesn't work....(hit the button to cycle between mileage and Trip A/B and nothing happens) am I out of luck? Any way to get this thing to turn off otherwise?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...light-fix.html
Old 07-13-2016
Registered!!

Buckles1123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
Nobody is allowed to post about this ever again! I will delete your thread no questions asked if I see it. You should know better than this. I will explain once and only once so that it doesn't get asked again.

Think of the light as a reminder. It has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of your car. It just comes on at certain mileage intervals programmed by Honda. The stupid ones rush to the dealer and get the $500 service pack which includes an oil change and inspection. Most of us here do that stuff ourselves.

The light flashes and goes off at first, but after a while it will just stay on. Again, so those that don't know will take it in. It has nothing to do with any of the recommended service intervals.

Turning off the light:

The answer is even in your manual! Hold down the trip meter button, turn the car to on, wait about 20 seconds, start the car, and let go of the button. Light is reset until the next mileage interval.

*make sure lo beam headlights are turned OFF during the procedure*

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted by Metallica454:
Ok, thats a ll fine and dandy but that only works if the trip meter button actually worked!.....is there a way around this that doest include using the trip meter?
Old 07-14-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,121 Likes on 936 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Click the link in the post above yours?

or try this one

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ton-fixed.html
Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

Oakhill510 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 04 VP civic and just did a cluster swap from a 01 ex civic. The maint light won't turn off even after following the instruction on this page. I even hooked the cluster back to the EX civic and still the maint light won turn off. Suggestion?
Old 02-28-2019
Registered!!

Eljefe is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a 02 with the d17a1 car has 248k
one week later the engine spit parts out of the pan. I replaced the motor with a used healthy engine and had no problems for the first few days until this light came on.i tried what was mentioned but the light instantly flicks back on,is there other factors involved that im forgetting?.i obviously put brand new oil and filter once i re installed the engine.thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2019
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^ Did you reset the maintenance counter after the latest service ??