Trip ODO reset button fixed

Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

mapdog will become famous soon enough
Trip ODO reset button fixed

On my 2002 Civic LX, my reset button has been having problems for a long time. If I push it really hard, I might get lucky and get it to change screens or reset. However, for resetting the maint req light, forget it.

What I did to fix the problem was make the reset button longer by gluing a small extension to the side of it that contacts the button on the circuit board.

To do this. I took out the instrument cluster.

Remove two screws above the gauges and pull the trim forward. The bottom is pressure clipped in so just pull forward firmly.

3 screws hold the instrument cluster in and then remove the two electrical plugs to pull out the entire assembly.

Take it apart by first unclipping the clear plastic front. Next unclip the black secondary face. These clips are easy to understand and should only need a small flat screwdriver to loosen.

Next take off the white backing cover off the backside of the cluster.

Now you can take out the reset button by carefully popping off the clip (part of the button itself).

I made the extension piece out of a plastic thumbtack. I cut a small cylinder about 3mm thick and shaped it with sandpaper.

Glue it to the back of the button with super glue.

You can test out your new rig without putting everything back together.

Put everything back together in reverse order and all is well.
Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

Sea Bass is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trip ODO reset button fixed

I'm having the exact same problem with my '02 EX. I managed to get the Maintenance Req'd light to go off by sheer luck after multiple tries last time. If it comes on again I don't think I'll get so lucky.

Taking out the instrument gauge is a piece of cake. I'll definitely have to try this.
Old 04-11-2016
Registered!!

mapdog will become famous soon enough

I hope this helps. I looked everywhere for help and couldn't find it. I got so upset that I was ready to just pay to have it fixed. However, the dealer said they need to keep the car while the gauges are sent off for re-calibration. I am proud of my 271k and want to continue racking up the miles.
Old 04-11-2016
Administrative Rice. WAT?!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I just fixed mine a few weeks ago. Desoldered the old switch and soldered in a new momentary tactile switch in place. I have a few of them from when I took apart an old dlp big screen that no longer worked (so I could use the cabinet to build a shelf. Lol). The existing test button makes contact with the switch and the whole thing works like new.

Edit: sure, I ended up pulling the fuel gauge needle, but as long as you make note of where it was pointing when you took it apart, it's easy to "recalibrate"
Old 04-11-2016
Administrator
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

good enough to go into the DIY section

Thanks! we usually mostly move things out, rarely move things in here