Electrical Post your questions about electrical issues here!

civic ep3 si electrical issue harness short

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05Ep3k20si is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation civic ep3 si electrical issue harness short

Alternator not charging due to short in wire harness. Loss of power due to v tech not working. Speedometer not working.
main concern is getting alternator to charge battery and regain power and speed. I miss driving fast and catching scratches in 3rd gear

Car would only have about half power then car would shut off. I turn the key off let car sit for 10 minutes then crank up and drive but would shut off again. eventually car lost all power to dash and control units etc...would not crank. I would have to turn off ignition for starter to turn off...obviously was shorting out. next alternator stopped charging. same issue caused alternator to burn up. My mechanic found that the wire harness was caught in the shifter linkage on tranny was the start of the issues. Previous mechanic didn't secure wire harness back in place after doing clutch job is cause of the original problem. I had another mechanic fix torn wires as he traced entire harness. Harness should be fine now. He had to replace starter which got burned up do to not turning off caused by the short. now starter is fine. Had to replace all fuse boxes(under dashboard and under hood). Replaced computer. replaced alternator 2 times. I now realize alternator isn't the issue. Now only problem car has is v tech not working and alternator not charging. What could the problem be now? Also do you recommend changing v tech sensor? I had test ran and they mention interruption in v tech sensor. also speedometer not working which had test ran and test mentioned an odometer sensor. please give me advise. I am on a budget and don't want to waste anymore money. I will not sell the car it is very sentimental to me and I have put a lot of work in it. only has 60k miles.

Last edited by 05Ep3k20si; 11-05-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: forgot information
Old 11-05-2015
Registered!!

Re: civic ep3 si electrical issue harness short

I am new here so hope I did this right. I really need help.
Old 11-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 05Ep3k20si
Alternator not charging
v tech not working.
Speedometer not working.

I would have to turn off ignition for starter to turn off.
next alternator stopped charging.

My mechanic found that the wire harness was caught in the shifter linkage on tranny was the start of the issues.
Previous mechanic didn't secure wire harness back in place after doing clutch job is cause of the original problem.

I had another mechanic fix torn wires as he traced entire harness.

Harness should be fine now.

He had to replace starter
replace all fuse boxes(under dashboard and under hood).
Replaced computer.
replaced alternator 2 times.

v tech not working
and alternator not charging.

What could the problem be now?

please give me advise.

I am on a budget and don't want to waste anymore money.
Thread moved to appropriate area. Deleted another miscat post.

Welcome to the forum.

Please tell what your car is whenever you start a thread or put the info in your profile: year, model, trim level, body style, engine, trans, and the country you are in. (A 2005 Canadian SI is nothing like a USA SI.)
I know your handle is supposed to tell a lot of that but since I don't ever deal with body terms (like EP3) I don't know immediately what that is and I have to do some searching to figure out what the hell car that is.

Anyway......I hate to sound like a Jackwad, but ......Nah, just kidding.

If the first person to mess it up was the one who installed the clutch, this may be an example of how quickly one wrong move can cause problems to snowball, problems that can easily cost more than the car is worth to sort out and fix correctly.
Thanks, Mr. Goodpliers!

Aaaand, it sounds like you abuse the clutch. No big deal if you can afford to replace it rather often, but it becomes a big deal if the wrong person works on it.....as you may be discovering now.

Budget doesn't matter if you want it fixed right, and it sounds like there was probably a bit of money wasted already. Fuseboxes? Computer and programming? MORE than one alternator? Holy cow.

You are probably gonna want to take it to someone who is an expert in chasing wiring problems, AND hopefully that same someone is intimately familiar with Hondas.

I'm going to guess the problems will be found in the area of the damaged, butchered and hacked wiring harnesses. Probably open circuits, like wires that aren't making good connection.
Possibly more damage than was first discovered, or maybe poorly repaired by the person that discovered and worked on the first set of problems with it.
Whomever gets to work on it will want to know the entire story (if they are smart), so don't be afraid to put it all on paper so everyone can read it that needs to.

Rodents love to eat wiring too, if you are in an area that has small furry creatures outside. We get mice, rats, rabbits, raccoons squirrels and once in a while a chipmunk or two in my area. I think all of them will gnaw on wiring if they have a chance.

Also do you recommend changing v tech sensor? I had test ran and they mention interruption in v tech sensor.

also speedometer not working which had test ran and test mentioned an odometer sensor.
Replace stuff for no good reason? Hell no.
I don't even have any idea what these "sensors" are that you speak of.........

Fix the major wiring problems correctly first, then see what does or doesn't work and go from there.

It may even require a complete engine harness to make it right. IDK.

HTH
Old 11-06-2015
Registered!!

thanks for your advice. I never abused the clutch....I had a stage 3 clutch installed with aluminum fly wheel. Old clutch still in good condition. I will take your advice on that though. I am just going to take to this shop down the road...I heard a lot of good things about them. fml lol

country is America... Honda civic si hatchback 3 door k20 2.0

I will update my profile now. thanks again
Old 11-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 05Ep3k20si
thanks for your advice. I never abused the clutch....I had a stage 3 clutch installed with aluminum fly wheel. Old clutch still in good condition
I was referring to your comment about getting scratch in 3rd gear LOL