Maintenance required light - Page 3 - Honda Civic Forum

Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2010   #61
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maintenance required light

the maint reqd light is just a mileage timer and comes on at set intervals, even if nothing is wrong with the car. the headlamps of some 01-02 civics have a wire in the combo switch that can burn and cause the lo beams not to work. its actually a recall from honda. for oil, try checking the level after the car sits overnight. how much did you add last time? normally it takes around 3.2-3.4 qts. you might have massive oil burning and the level is way low.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #62
Registered!!

grd00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gearbox - thank you for the info. I sent a link of '01 civic recalls to my friend and hopefully that clears the issue with the headlights.

We put 3 1/2 quarts in when we changed it last. I'll have her check the dipstick in the morning before she starts the car, see if she gets any better reading than we did yesterday.
grd00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #63
Registered!!

Speedo is an unknown quantity at this point

For those who have not been able to get the light to go out, I discoverd last night that the process will not work if the headlights are on. Sorry if this was mentioned previously but I just figured this out last night. I was starting to think that the light required something special at 120,000 because I have always been able to reset it, but it seems you can't do it with the headlights on. Hope this helps.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010   #64
Registered!!

leosar is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks a lot
leosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #65
Registered!!

Stryfe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

I was totally about to post about this. I'm a noob!

The light has been on for like a year too. I wish I'd looked this up earlier it annoys me all the time!
Stryfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #66
Super Moderator

sdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
For those who have not been able to get the light to go out, I discoverd last night that the process will not work if the headlights are on. Sorry if this was mentioned previously but I just figured this out last night. I was starting to think that the light required something special at 120,000 because I have always been able to reset it, but it seems you can't do it with the headlights on. Hope this helps.
now that this thread came up from the dead, yes, this is true. I have aftermarket DRL installed in a US car (canadian rules...) - the darned thing simply did not allow me to reset until i took the fuse of the DRL off to reset the darned light...
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011   #67
Registered!!

liz92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Nobody is allowed to post about this ever again! I will delete your thread no questions asked if I see it. You should know better than this. I will explain once and only once so that it doesn't get asked again.

Think of the light as a reminder. It has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of your car. It just comes on at certain mileage intervals programmed by Honda. The stupid ones rush to the dealer and get the $500 service pack which includes an oil change and inspection. Most of us here do that stuff ourselves.

The light flashes and goes off at first, but after a while it will just stay on. Again, so those that don't know will take it in. It has nothing to do with any of the recommended service intervals.

Turning off the light:

The answer is even in your manual! Hold down the trip meter button, turn the car to on, wait about 20 seconds, start the car, and let go of the button. Light is reset until the next mileage interval.

*make sure lo beam headlights are turned OFF during the procedure*

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted by Metallica454:

This was soo helpful!! THANK YOU!!!
liz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #68
Registered!!

mililani is an unknown quantity at this point

edit:

oops, never mind, I should have done a search first.

Last edited by mililani; 07-17-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: bone head
mililani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014   #69
Registered!!

Rakakaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. New member, first time posting. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	86761  
Rakakaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016   #70
Registered!!

Justin Bradford is an unknown quantity at this point

What would happen if one was to leave the low beams in by accident? One if those things u say don't do and it makes me wanna do it. Ha-ha
Justin Bradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #71
Registered!!

SRCHN is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, now assuming my trip meter doesn't work....(hit the button to cycle between mileage and Trip A/B and nothing happens) am I out of luck? Any way to get this thing to turn off otherwise?
SRCHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016   #72
Registered!!

emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRCHN View Post
Okay, now assuming my trip meter doesn't work....(hit the button to cycle between mileage and Trip A/B and nothing happens) am I out of luck? Any way to get this thing to turn off otherwise?
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...light-fix.html
emich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #73
Registered!!

Buckles1123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Nobody is allowed to post about this ever again! I will delete your thread no questions asked if I see it. You should know better than this. I will explain once and only once so that it doesn't get asked again.

Think of the light as a reminder. It has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of your car. It just comes on at certain mileage intervals programmed by Honda. The stupid ones rush to the dealer and get the $500 service pack which includes an oil change and inspection. Most of us here do that stuff ourselves.

The light flashes and goes off at first, but after a while it will just stay on. Again, so those that don't know will take it in. It has nothing to do with any of the recommended service intervals.

Turning off the light:

The answer is even in your manual! Hold down the trip meter button, turn the car to on, wait about 20 seconds, start the car, and let go of the button. Light is reset until the next mileage interval.

*make sure lo beam headlights are turned OFF during the procedure*

-----------------------------------------------------
Posted by Metallica454:
Ok, thats a ll fine and dandy but that only works if the trip meter button actually worked!.....is there a way around this that doest include using the trip meter?
Buckles1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #74
Super Moderator

Colin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of light

Click the link in the post above yours?

or try this one

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ton-fixed.html
Colin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017   #75
Registered!!

Oakhill510 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 04 VP civic and just did a cluster swap from a 01 ex civic. The maint light won't turn off even after following the instruction on this page. I even hooked the cluster back to the EX civic and still the maint light won turn off. Suggestion?
Oakhill510 is offline   Reply With Quote