Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Head gasket Again?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Hi everybody,

Almost exactly two years ago I asked for help with losing coolant. Ended up being the head gasket. I had the heads re done at one of the best shops in town and used quality parts. Checked the block surface a million times and checked good. Took my time and did the job by the book and torqued everything to specs. Everything has been good up til now. Now I am seeing the same original symptoms. The coolant overflow fills up and is not going back into the radiator when it cools down. I tried another radiator cap and no help. I am going to try and test it this weekend to confirm my suspicions.

The car has never over heated and runs good. My question is what would have made the gasket go bad again? There must be some kind of defect for so many of us to have this problem. I had a neighbor down the street have his go bad too. Car runs really good so I guess I will be doing the job over this Christmas.
Old 12-04-2015
PMI
Registered!!

PMI has a spectacular aura aboutPMI has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2001 Head gasket Again?????

Thermostat, Fan Switch, etc?

Not every coolant circulation/engine overheating problem starts with the headgasket, but most do end up there.

Most thermostats fail open (causing the engine to run too cold while driving on cold days). But not all. When installed with the breather hole down, or some other less obvious issue, or clogged, or just not working and staying closed will cause all kinds of hard to pin down overheating from poor coolant circulation, localized heat buildup and uneven expansion... and guess what, headgasket is the next to go...

I would remove the thermostat and test it first, or just get a new one from a good aftermarket brand, or just the Honda dealer part. Then fan switch etc... or maybe reverse order, if replaced the thermostat recently (?)
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Like I said, this car has never overheated since we have owned it and it runs fine now. Two years ago I changed the thermostat, water pump and timing belt when I did the head gasket. I have noticed that even after the car has cooled down, when you take off the radiator cap you hear a PFFFT sound. No other car I have had does this. I cant tell yet if it is pressure or vacuum being released. I hope it is vacuum. Then it would still point to the cap. I have another civic so I may swap caps one more time.

Ed
Old 12-04-2015
PMI
Registered!!

If the coolant does not circulate properly, you will not see it overheating on the gauge.

In order for the engine to be cooled evenly, AND the gauge to show the correct temps, there has to be coolant flow. If the hot coolant does not reach the temp sensor, the gauge will not show the correct temperature.

The coolant is not returning to the engine and not reaching the proper level for some reason. My guess may not be correct, but there will be a reason for this.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

thisguy357 has a spectacular aura aboutthisguy357 has a spectacular aura about

try this... relieve the pressure from the cap with the car cold, then start it for 3-4 seconds(NOT long enough to warm up the coolant and create pressure in your cooling system) after the 3-4 seconds turn the car off and see if there is pressure in your radiator. mine built up pressure immediately

also did you change out the "water passage" gasket when u did the head gasket? there is an EGR port right next to a water passage

i edited post cuz i haz turrible grammar :P

Last edited by thisguy357; 12-04-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Feel the radiator when hot and running (unplug the fan so you don't get sliced). Feel for cool or cold spots. Feel lower radiator hose to see if it is cool or cold. Fell the upper to see if it is all hot (tip to tip). rev the engine to abut 3k and feel upper hoes for pressure build up (it will become hard and pressurized).

It could be a clogged radiator, like I just had.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by PMI
If the coolant does not circulate properly, you will not see it overheating on the gauge.

In order for the engine to be cooled evenly, AND the gauge to show the correct temps, there has to be coolant flow. If the hot coolant does not reach the temp sensor, the gauge will not show the correct temperature.

The coolant is not returning to the engine and not reaching the proper level for some reason. My guess may not be correct, but there will be a reason for this.
OK I will try and verify this too. I was just wondering why so many Civics have this problem. Has anyone figured out what Honda did. Did they not torque properly or use defective gaskets? Still wouldn't explain why my problem came back.

Ed
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Could you explain this "water passage gasket"? Not sure I know what this is.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Getting ahead of myself right now. If I determine that the head gasket is the issue, should I get new head bolts? I just don't understand why the repair only lasted two years.

Ed
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

not sure what motor u have but the d17a1 and d17a2 do NOT use stretch bolts, they should be fine... did you clean the bolt holes out really well and put engine oil on the head bolts before assembly...if not you may have picked up debris when torqing the head, when that happens the bolt locks down prematurely and never completely crushes the head gasket.

http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product...pe8aAtxn8P8HAQ

its the place your upper rad hose goes to on the block...it has the EGR mounted to the top of it. exhaust gas from cylinder 4 passes through the middle small hole then is metered by the EGR and goes to the intake manifold via the other small hole and coolant flows through the 3rd (bigger)hole. so the coolant port and the cylnder 4 exhaust port are only spaced apart by the with of that gasket(less than a 1/4")....get what im saying ?

also what brand H/G did you use
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by thisguy357
not sure what motor u have but the d17a1 and d17a2 do NOT use stretch bolts, they should be fine... did you clean the bolt holes out really well and put engine oil on the head bolts before assembly...if not you may have picked up debris when torqing the head, when that happens the bolt locks down prematurely and never completely crushes the head gasket.

http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product...pe8aAtxn8P8HAQ

its the place your upper rad hose goes to on the block...it has the EGR mounted to the top of it. exhaust gas from cylinder 4 passes through the middle small hole then is metered by the EGR and goes to the intake manifold via the other small hole and coolant flows through the 3rd (bigger)hole. so the coolant port and the cylnder 4 exhaust port are only spaced apart by the with of that gasket(less than a 1/4")....get what im saying ?

I used a Fel Pro head gasket set. I am old and that was two years ago LOL. I will look at a bunch of pictures that I took when I get home. I do remember blowing out the bolt holes with my compressor and I did put engine oil on the bolts. I will look at it when I get home. The gasket set had a bunch of gaskets in it and I tried to replace all that were disturbed. I know on a couple of places on the block there is not much gasket between the combustion and water ports. That may be part of a design issue. I believe it is the D17A2.

Last edited by Scout1; 12-04-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

d17a1 and d17a2 do NOT use stretch bolts, they should be fine...

This and this.

The finish on the surface of the head after machining is very important too. It should be machined almost glass smooth, never rough like a belt sander hit it.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
This and this.

The finish on the surface of the head after machining is very important too. It should be machined almost glass smooth, never rough like a belt sander hit it.
When I got it back from the machine shop it was like new and the mating surface was like you said.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

yup!

this should be enough proof......

Now I am seeing the same original symptoms. The coolant overflow fills up and is not going back into the radiator when it cools down.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Scout1;4698712I
know on a couple of places on the block there is not much gasket between the combustion and water ports. That may be part of a design issue. I believe it is the D17A2.
yeah but if u had blown your head gasket i would assume u would notice the loss of power, cuz u would be loosing compression. (mine was a slouch with a bad h/g) But u said it "runs really good". the water passage feeds off the exhaust side of the head(not inside the combustion chamber) so the only way u might notice it is IF it ended up fouling your 02 sensor(coolant leaking into the exhaust when the motor is off). it would not effect the driving much, if at all. Also it wouldn’t be detectable with a compression test or leak down test, but u would still detect carbon in the coolant.(the back pressure in your exhaust manifold would create a high pressure in your cooling system, pushing fluid into the overflow)

Think about it, im talking about a 5-10$ part that should be changed anyway, that only takes 10-20 minutes to change out while the head is on the car.....or $110+ H/G set and hours of work

ive never had a felpro H/G go out that quick not even on my 2000 Bonneville SSEI (supercharged stock) or "the 67" (its a hodgepodge high hp N/A camaro...it runs mid 11's and pops wheelies )

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-04-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

not sure why my quote didnt work (im new here)
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

yeah but if u had blown your head gasket i would assume u would notice the loss of power, cuz u would be loosing compression.

nope.....not with this engine
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Scout1
I used a Fel Pro head gasket set.
now it makes sense, i missed this part,

should have went OEM

yup, definitely your HG
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

my '05 deff had power loss from the H/G.... u cant tell me he shouldnt replace the water passage gasket first, since he has to do it anyway. its 1/10th the price and 1/10th the time.

lol if u have a CAI it literally takes 10 min to change (+coolant burp)
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

my '05 deff had power loss from the H/G
maybe in your case, not in all cases,

yeah but if u had blown your head gasket i would assume u would notice the loss of power
you know what happens when we assume things, you assumed wrong

loss of power is very rare with a blown HG on these engines

in most cases you will not notice any loss of engine performance whatsoever

this is enough evidence to conclude a blown HG.....

The coolant overflow fills up and is not going back into the radiator when it cools down.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

"this is enough evidence to conclude a blown HG....."

lol not for an actual mechanic, we troubleshoot everything even if we "know" whats wrong. the only thing coolant coming out of the over flow means is that compressed air is entering the cooling system from somewhere...
....u tell me not to assume stuff, and then u assume it's a head gasket without helping him troubleshoot his issue. u want him to get these parts correct?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...arts-list.html

12251-PLC-004 Head Gasket
17055-PLD-004 Intake Mani (injector base) Gasket (17055-PLC-004 for non-VTEC)
18115-PLC-J01 Exhaust Mani Gasket
12210-PZ1-004 Valve Seal A (x8)
12211-PZ1-004 Valve Seal B (x8) (They lumped all 16 seals in the same bag, and they were all visually the same, so I'm sure the seal a's are the same as the seal b's. From the drawings, it looks like "a" is for the intake side, and "b" is for the exhaust side valves. Regardless, you get 16 total valve stem seals)
12342-P2A-005 Spark Plug Tube Seals (x4)
91213-P2F-A01 Camshaft Oil Seal
90442-PLC-000 Rubber grommet-washers for the
Valve Cover bolts Valve Cover bolts
(x5)
12341-PLC-000 Valve Cover Gasket
19411-PLC-003 Water Passage Gasket

^^ of course if he gets this set recommended by this forum it will fix his issue, do u see the name of that last gasket???
Old 12-04-2015
PMI
Registered!!

Quote:The coolant overflow fills up and is not going back into the radiator when it cools down.

Originally Posted by mikey1
... this is enough evidence to conclude a blown HG.....
No saying you are wrong, but can you please explain?

In my (limited) experience, the coolant would still go back as the pressure levels off. Are you assuming that exhaust gas is now displacing the coolant in the radiator? If so, then this would be easy to diagnose, the radiator would be at positive pressure even when cold, right??
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

the only thing coolant coming out of the over flow means is that compressed air is entering the cooling system from somewhere...
agreed.....

so if the compressed air is not coming from the combustion chamber, then tell me another way compressed air can enter the cooling system
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

Read MY second post

Attachment below shows how close the egr and coolant ports are together
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0208.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	88331  
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

PmI read my first post...after sitting all night I could start the car for a few seconds.NOT long enough to expand liquid..then turn off car and the radiator already had pressure...for the second part of that yes the coolant is SPRAYED all over my plastic intake plenum...oh and my head was within .0015" (father in law is a machinist and he was astonished because my car was "overheating" for 9 months of Texas summer ) I'm thinkin te exhaust bubbles at idle, after warm, are what makes the temp rise because u have hot exhaust gas trapped by your temp sensor...then one u take off the coolant circulates and the sensor cools down..

That's why I think he needs to replace the easy cheap part first
Old 12-04-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

not sure why my quote didnt work (im new here)
when you deleted part of his post, you deleted the "]" - that deactivated the "quote" system - I added the missing "]" and it's right now

yeah but if u had blown your head gasket i would assume u would notice the loss of power, cuz u would be loosing compression. (mine was a slouch with a bad h/g)
You said it yourself You had loss of compression/power because the gasket was really bad
Mine was a small leak at the point i did change it - was loosing coolant slowly but surely

PMI, unsure of the mechanics for the coolant not going back into the radiator. The gases inside not enough vacuum to pull it back? Rad usually have pressure after cooling down (quite a lot of pressure leaking from the engine compression to the lower coolant pressure - typical of these engines for some reason. Also, some slow seeping cooling back - if you leave car for a week without firing the engine, the start is harder, some coolant spills. but if a day only, you won't see the problem. So i guess the radiator still have pressure left after cooling down, thus the coolant does not go back to it.

Edit: jeesus, why the forum automatically puts hyperlinks in the word radiator?!?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-04-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Scout1, try the pressure test first to make sure.

Originally Posted by ezone

Half of the bad head gaskets I see on this engine will pass every test you guys have mentioned. These almost never leak externally. These almost always leak from the combustion chamber into the cooling system, and that's it. That's all.

My procedure:
Start with a hot engine, pull out plugs and rad cap:
Pressurize each cylinder (@TDC, one at a time) with shop air line pressure 150-170+ PSI. Watch for the coolant level to rise when you get to the bad one. (sometimes this is a slow process)
If no results, then wait for the engine to cool down and repeat this same procedure on each cylinder.

If it passes this test, then it's probably ok right now.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

sdaidoji I had clogged egr passages and egr...the carbon build up was wet and slimy. I had the same issue after the head gasket along with a rough idle...soaking my egr fixed that...it was making me run lean at WOT. forgot to mention that.
Old 12-04-2015
Registered!!

If I start car now my radiator doesn't pressurize till the the car heats up like it's supposed to (lol just realized I forgot to get a new thermostat)

Edited...damn auto correct
Old 12-04-2015
PMI
Registered!!

PmI read my first post...

That's why I think he needs to replace the easy cheap part first
Yes, I agree about the water passage gasket, and replacing the cheap part or parts first.

Quick Reply: 2001 Head gasket Again?????