Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Head gasket Again?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2001 Head gasket Again?????

Just additional datapoint, but I drove from Quebec to TN, 1200 miles, after months that I diagnosed the gasket, and it was still not overheating. You going to be safe
Old 12-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Just additional datapoint, but I drove from Quebec to TN, 1200 miles, after months that I diagnosed the gasket, and it was still not overheating. You going to be safe
As long as the radiator is kept full.
Old 12-07-2015
PMI
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PMI has a spectacular aura aboutPMI has a spectacular aura about

Mine lasted for months after diagnosis, you caught it early too, so you likely safe...
So, for the rest of us who tend to panic at any sign of oil in the coolant, or the mere mention of a headgasket, and quickly hide our head in a bucket of oily rags... at what point does it become imperative to pull the head and do the job?
Old 12-07-2015
PMI
Registered!!

@ezone: Is the current OEM headgasket, or gasket set, significantly different from the factory original?
Old 12-07-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMI
So, for the rest of us who tend to panic at any sign of oil in the coolant, or the mere mention of a headgasket, and quickly hide our head in a bucket of oily rags... at what point does it become imperative to pull the head and do the job?
99% only seep from the combustion chamber into the cooling system. Fluids don't mix and you don't lose compression.........Maybe AFTER it's been allowed to overheat bad enough to warp the head and become a disaster, but not initially.

Come to think of it, I haven't even seen one flame cut the gasket, head, or block so far. Lucky, I guess?

Originally Posted by PMI
@ezone: Is the current OEM headgasket, or gasket set, significantly different from the factory original?
The Honda part number suggests there have been revisions.
Old 12-07-2015
PMI
Registered!!

In the past I noticed that Honda changed a p/n when the part came from a different supplier, but did not necessarily signal a material change or improvement. Is there a higher quality aftermarket part??

Last edited by PMI; 12-07-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: redundancy
Old 12-07-2015

Originally Posted by PMI
So you are saying that the typical failure is ONLY between combustion chambers and cooling system, and not oil passages? Otherwise pressure in the cooling system would push coolant into the oil after you turn the engine off.
The leak typically begins as a teensy little breach in the fire ring. Not the oil passages.

(that is exactly how it went on a different 4-cyl motor I had).
Different engine is different.

This isn't your other motor, the rules everyone is used to don't always have to apply.

In the past I noticed that Honda changed a p/n when the part came from a different supplier, but did not necessarily signal a material change or improvement.
Any change is a change. Supplier or improvement are still changes. I have no way of knowing what the changes were, all I see is the part number has apparently changed since introduction.
Is there a higher quality aftermarket part??
I don't know.....I use factory with no problems that I'm aware of.

Apparently for Scout1 it isn't Felpro.
Old 12-07-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PMI
the first time it overheats is the cut line. better do it before it does, and when it does, quick action (stop, park and let it cool.)
Old 12-07-2015
PMI
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
...the rules everyone is used to don't always have to apply...
Agreed. If the same rules always applied, then buying used cars would not be nearly as entertaining -
Old 12-07-2015

All cars have 4 wheels, therefore they are all the same.

Everyone with a shoebox full of tools has the exact same abilities and talents.
If I speak louder and slower you will understand better.

Wait, that's all management thinking.

If the images don't show up here, click this link:
https://medium.com/swlh/the-zombie-m...71d#.7jvb2p6pu

Looks like they didn't show up here.. Damn. Click the link.
Old 12-08-2015
PMI
Registered!!

Good article. Maybe my next impulse purchase should be an S2000
Old 12-08-2015
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Good ole Honda Sievics.. always leaking from somewhere..lol
Old 12-08-2015

Originally Posted by PMI
buying used cars would not be nearly as entertaining -
At least you seem to understand a used car can have issues and problems just like any other car.

Too many people expect every used car (hell, every car) to be absolutely perfect and never ever wear out or break.....and nobody would ever knowingly sell a used car that has a major problem.

At work we have a saying: The used car window sticker says "AS IS", not "as if".
Old 12-08-2015
PMI
Registered!!

At least you seem to understand a used car can have issues and problems just like any other car.

Too many people expect every used car (hell, every car) to be absolutely perfect and never ever wear out or break.....and nobody would ever knowingly sell a used car that has a major problem.

At work we have a saying: The used car window sticker says "AS IS", not "as if".
To be honest, I would rather buy a car with known issues to be addressed, than one where you never know if something had been fixed right, or at all. However, I do feel for those who have to depend on a 12-year-old car for a daily driver. Been there, done that. My expectation is to spend around $1K on parts and/or repairs I am not up for personally in the first year, and I am about on budget.
Old 12-08-2015

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

My car turn out to be a costly wench..but, i still love 'er.
Old 12-08-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
My car turn out to be a costly wench..but, i still love 'er.

Amen to y'all
(Darn, multiquote missed PMI post...)

So, the lingering question from scout1 seem to be the tty bolts?
Old 12-08-2015

So, the lingering question from scout1 seem to be the tty bolts?
I've never found any but I didn't go further than the Honda parts catalog, It's entirely possible some other manufacturer uses a similar size but I have not pursued that avenue.

I believe Kinakoes contacted ARP and did some other searching without success, before he left the forum.
Old 12-09-2015
Registered!!

Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Wow 4 pages. Didn't mean to take up everybody's time but discussion is good. I have started to plan my course of action and have checked at the dealer for the OEM gaskets and can have them in a day. Price of the OEM head gasket is $44.70 but will get it anyway. I just want to do this right and make it last this time. I did everything I could to do it by the book last time. Had the head professionally redone. I checked and cleaned the surface of the block and found no issues. Used a Felpro gasket set which I thought was good but will not use this time. Cleaned the head bolts and holes. Put oil on threads and torqued according to torque spec and pattern from the manual. I did not put any kind of sealer on the gasket and as far as I know I put the gasket on right side up. I can't remember but I think it was marked this side up but will double check that when I take it apart. The only thing is I have a cheap torque wrench. That is the only thing I think may be the problem. This time I will borrow a better one and compare it to mine and see if mine is off. Thanks again and I will report back when I tear into this job.

Ed
Old 12-09-2015
PMI
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Scout1
...The only thing is I have a cheap torque wrench. That is the only thing I think may be the problem...
So do I, it is one of the new-ish Sears wrenches that nobody seems to like. However, I did an informal comparison with an older and more expensive SK Tools wrench, and it was right on, except at the very low end of the scale, and even there it was still within spec.
Old 12-28-2015
Registered!!

Okay guys Christmas is over and back to my son's car. I retested each cylinder by bringing it up to TDC and putting compressed air into the spark plug hole. I then watched the water at the radiator neck. I never saw air bubbles but on two cylinders the water very slowly rose and over flowed. This does confirm a bad head gasket correct? I have it just about tore down just paranoid that it is something else. In earlier discussions the water passage gasket also has exhaust passages in it. Are these passages in any way connected to the cylinders? I have the new oem gaskets and should have the head off in the morning so I guess I just over think things. I just hope the head and block check flat.
Old 12-28-2015

on two cylinders the water very slowly rose and over flowed.
Confirmed leakage. We're done here.

In earlier discussions the water passage gasket also has exhaust passages in it. Are these passages in any way connected to the cylinders?
No, not during your above test.
I just hope the head and block check flat.
Have the head checked.
I personally haven't ever seen a block warped.
Old 12-29-2015
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone, I just doubt myself sometimes. Heading out there in a few minutes. Talked to a head shop and he says he will try and help me get it back quickly but he is closed for New Years and that could cause me issues.
Old 12-29-2015

Make sure the machined finish is glass smooth when you get it back. It must not be rough.
Old 12-29-2015
Registered!!

Got it pulled and dropped off at the shop. He gave it a quick check and said it wasn't warped.He will give it a short cut to make sure it is good. Should have it back thursday. I have a new oem gasket. It is not marked "up". They said put the side that has the part number on it up. Do you agree? I told them my story about it lasting only two years. They recommended getting new head bolts. Money is tight but if everybody thinks that is the way to go I guess I will do it. Everything looked good so far. Getting better at doing this. Got it apart and to the shop in one day. Pretty good for me.
Old 12-29-2015

Look at ALL the holes...The gasket only fits correctly one way. It should be obvious right away.

I reuse those head bolts, no need to replace.
Old 12-30-2015

Originally Posted by Scout1
Got it pulled and dropped off at the shop. He gave it a quick check and said it wasn't warped.He will give it a short cut to make sure it is good. Should have it back thursday. I have a new oem gasket. It is not marked "up". They said put the side that has the part number on it up. Do you agree? I told them my story about it lasting only two years. They recommended getting new head bolts. Money is tight but if everybody thinks that is the way to go I guess I will do it. Everything looked good so far. Getting better at doing this. Got it apart and to the shop in one day. Pretty good for me.
I had a tough time at first too. If your's looks like this one: http://www.mizumoauto.com/ebay/mizumo/HS4038_image2.jpg

The metal tab that has the gasket part number stamped on it.. the stamped side faces up, is at the rear of engine and mates to the cylinder head. Plus as Ezone said it only fits one way: the gasket's two end pieces that flare out are postioned at the front (crankshaft pulley) side of the engine. The silver rings mate with the top of the engine block/coolant jacket.

This guy has good tips for any head gasket install:

Last edited by Wankenstein; 12-30-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2016
Registered!!

Happy New Year everybody. Car had to wait a while but I got it all back together. It started right up a so far so good... as far as the head gasket goes. Thanks for all the help on that. I will have to run it a while to make sure that it is fixed. I will report back when I know. Unfortunately I picked up a CEL code 1753 and flashing "D" light. I am going to start a new thread on that. Thanks again.

Ed
Old 01-13-2016
Registered!!

Niaboc67 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're not alone there Scout1, my 03 honda civic has got a blown head and what a headache its been. Thanks for posting this, a lot to learn from this post.
Old 01-18-2016
Registered!!

Just a final report on this. So far so good. I think I am good. Let it run a few days topping of with anti-freeze to get the air out of the system. Radiator is maintaining the water level and expansion tank is not over flowing. I still hate the way they snaked the expansion tank under the battery. It is very hard to see where the level is. I look at night with a flashlight or a plastic tie strap stuck down the fill hole. Got my fingers crossed but looking good. Thanks for all the discussion and help.

Ed
Old 01-18-2016

I still hate the way they snaked the expansion tank under the battery. It is very hard to see where the level is.
Many of the newer cars aren't much better. LOL

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2001 Head gasket Again?????