Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Random Power Loss

Old 08-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
renaldodesilva is an unknown quantity at this point
Random Power Loss

Hi All,

I've been suffering with random power loss issues with my 2004 Civic for the past 3 months. I've gone to at least 5 mechanics none of them were able to solve my problems.

I've purchased an Innova scan tool and have been driving around with the car for the past two weeks records sensors readings and DTCs. I had a bad O2 sensor so I ordered a replacement and swapped that out today, unfortunately it hasn't resolved my problem which has gotten 10 times worse about a week ago, so bad that I can't drive the car 100 metres without the problem manifesting itself.

I'll list the current codes being thrown below let me know if anyone wants the sensor readings I'll upload an excel document with them to a web server and provide a link for you to download it.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to confirm from the person I purchased the car from whether the engine was ever changed I suspect it was. I'm leaning towards the problem being some sort of electrical short and would like to diagnose that before I attempt to replace the ECU, do you think that could be the cause? The car appears to loose electrical power for a split second, the engine check light flashes, the car bucks forward and then goes back to normal, sometimes the check light will stay on and car doesn't accelerate, it has only completely stalled 3 times since the problem started about 3 months ago.

DTCs:-
P1213
P1253 - VTec System Malfunction
P0336 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance.

A complete thread of the issue an suggestions from an online mechanic can be found at
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...vic-d17-manual

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 08-22-2009
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve
Re: Random Power Loss

Im having the same problem! I think..... https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4431824
Old 08-22-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well for the o2 sensor problem and power loss, your cat converter could be clogged. for the other codes, replace the crank position sensor and clean the vtec solenoid filter screen. if that doesnt work, you need a whole new solenoid. its located in the rear of the engine with a cylinder cap on top.
Old 08-23-2009
Registered!!

renaldodesilva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
well for the o2 sensor problem and power loss, your cat converter could be clogged. for the other codes, replace the crank position sensor and clean the vtec solenoid filter screen. if that doesnt work, you need a whole new solenoid. its located in the rear of the engine with a cylinder cap on top.
I'm sure it's not the CAT as the car currently doesn't have one installed. Do you know what the part numbers are for the crank position sensors and vtec solenoid? Or where I can buy them online?

I doubt it's a vtec problem though as the problem occurs even when teh car is idling.
Old 08-24-2009
Registered!!

Tomj333_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
how do i go about cleaning said vtec solenoid?
Old 08-24-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just take it off and clean it up. the screen gasket comes out too and you can wipe it with a clean cloth.

Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

estee96 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello. Been having the same electrical problem with my civic. Any news on how to solve this? Been with a few electricians, cant seen to solve my problem: Lights dim when I hit the brakes; radio turns off for a split second when I hit the lights. HELP!!!
Old 12-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

they are talking about engine power loss, buddy... go to the electrical section...