Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

vibration when driving in rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
yes, there was a TSB posted about it.
Old 10-03-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ThermalRD is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, so we basically havent gotten anywhere with this. Well, i have the same F'n problem, as im sure you read several pages back. Im using a stainless cat-back exhaust on my Civic Si (03). Im gonna change back to my stock exhaust, and just hope this **** goes away. If it doesnt, im going to the dealer about the problem. I bought honda because they had a good reputation. I love the car, but this pisses me off to no end!

Matt
Old 10-06-2003
Si(R) killer # 1

CoupeStylz is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think the exhaust is the source of the problem I am experiencing. When I drive through a puddle, there is a growling noise that comes from the front right fender area of the car, not from the engine area.
Old 04-04-2005
Registered!!

Veloz_Racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Yeah i had that problem yesterday on my way to work, and almost had a 2nd problem nearly side-swipping a guard rail. that started to vibrate a lot and it looked like my p seat was having some sort of attack. when i got to work i checked the car to see if i had snagged anything or if something had got caught up in the car, but nothing at all. i have to hit the hodna dealership next week for a srs light and i will ask and see.
Old 07-09-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Not to bring this thread back, but I'm also having the same problem as everyone...I read this whole thread and from what I interpreted no one really seems to know what's going on. I had a custom exhaust installed on my 04 at 10k miles and never had this problem. All of the sudden at 20k, I feel this constant bass type of noise coming from under the emergency brake handle everytime my car's on 2nd or 3rd gear going over water...All suggestions point to an exhaust problem, but could this be related to the transmission?
Old 07-09-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
nope its exsaust, you got thermal shock on your pipe, and it warped in a new posision, wich is vibrating agains your car, if it vibrates enough it will eat a whole in the pipe.. start the car get underneith and check it out just to be sure. then if im right, which i probably am. bassically you going to have to have the peice replace or reshaped.
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

hk2ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
This problem used to happen to me but only after i put an skunk2 exhaust on. The mid section pipe was to close the the frame, it didn't help any later when i mangled that section when i bottomed out it only got worse. I got that section custom built at the local speed shop where they kept the skunk2 flanges but welded sum bigger diameter pipe and dropped it off the frame. No more vibrations no more noise in the rain.
Old 07-12-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Well...my custom pipe doesn't rub anywhere, yet started making the noise when going over puddles. Maybe the water gets in at the header-e/pipe connection and then as it's pushed back by the pressure creates the so called "thermal shock"?

Last edited by cubanmike26; 07-12-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

GaryC17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not that I want to bring this old thread up too, but I just encountered this same problem. But in my scenario, my midpipe hit a large stone on the road, squashing a secton of it. All was well until the next day when it started to rain heavily. All the symptoms that you guys described happened to me. It sounds as though an engine mounting had died on me. I am dead sure it's the exhaust since I have inspected the entire car undercarriage and nothing else was damaged from the impact of the stone. Guess it's time for a 2.5inch piping change.
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

FALLAPART7THGEN is an unknown quantity at this point
rain problem me too

I found the location where it rattles it happend to me a couple of days ago i as well have a aftermarket catback exhaust but i am taking it in where i got the work done most places will cover this. it hitting the heat sheild on the passenger side and acting like a tuning fork.
Old 10-19-2005
(¯`·._.·[ I.Ç.E. BÕX ]·._.·´¯)

norek is on a distinguished road
i got rid of the noise by installing a stainless exhaust and an 8" flex-pipe.
Old 10-23-2005
Registered!!

FALLAPART7THGEN is an unknown quantity at this point
fix

I have 2 1/2 catback i took a pry bar and bent up the heat shield where it was contacting the pipe their is a lip that hangs down that contacts the pipe
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
has anyone figured how to fix this on a aftermarket exhaust yet? for example, the greddy evo II?
Old 10-25-2005
Registered!!

BrianC is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard to believe that this thread originated almost four years ago, yet here I am to report that I am experiencing this very issue on my 100% stock, 45-day old 05' LX sedan (less than 3000 miles). I have printed out this entire thread, both TSB summaries that were referenced earlier in the thread, and will be scheduling an appointment with my dealer for early next week.
Old 10-26-2005

^^Good idea...maybe they'll take some action since your car is bone stock.
Old 10-27-2005
dgw
Registered!!

dgw is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem, sounds like water on the belts.
Old 01-13-2021
Registered!!

Levi Bender is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: vibration when driving in rain

My car does the same thing that everyone is talking about. I had an idea and if somebody has a gopro camera, mount it underneath somewhere where everything is visible and drive through some puddles and then check the footage. I don't have access to one or I'd try it.
Old 01-13-2021
Click Here

Received 1,158 Likes on 905 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: vibration when driving in rain

Please don’t reopen 15-year old threads.