Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

vibration when driving in rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newkid is an unknown quantity at this point
5 spd here
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
Yes, I am the one who started the original thread over a year ago. It's long gone now tho. Glad to see I am not the only one. Was starting to think it was my exhaust. THis has to be dealt with and fast.
What can we do?

D
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

rallyred2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had the same problem and I posted it a while ago but no one ever replied. I've taken mine to the dealership 3 times now to get it fixed. At first they told me it was my exhaust but then someone I know started working there and I had him look at it and he told me it had nothing to do with my exhaust. He tried to find out what was wrong with it and he said it was the struts. He tried to fix it by adding some sort of lubricant but that didn't work. And now I know for a fact that it isn't my exhaust because I don't have it anymore and it still does it. My car is going into the dealership next week and I'll let everyone know if they fix it or not.
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

01IncaPearl is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem but havent taken itto the dealership yet. I have a 5sp and an CAI and exhaust, but it did it before I put my Exhasut and CAI in. Hopefully someone can figure out what it is.
Old 04-22-2002
Eee Tee Too (Ess DoubleU)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Strebor is an unknown quantity at this point
Hrm. That's weird. I don't have that problem, and it rains here at least everyday. I have driven through some quite large puddles, and aside from the obvious slow down from hydroplaning and whatnot, I don't see any other side effects.
Old 04-22-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
(I posted this question on the other thread too: )

Do any of you people get the same problems if you wash your engine bay?

Cuz I'm thinking that washing your engine with high-pressure water would expose sensitive components to more water than simply driving through a puddle.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

accord94lx is an unknown quantity at this point
Boy these newer civic's must just be junk, I have never had any of the problems on this fourm with my 94 accord with over 100,000miles that I race every day and push hard........
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
when a new gen comes that is a complete rebuild, there are bound to be problems.
Old 04-24-2002
Registered!!

mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Yes, I am the one who started the original thread over a year ago. It's long gone now tho. Glad to see I am not the only one. Was starting to think it was my exhaust. THis has to be dealt with and fast.
What can we do?

D
>>

File a class action law suit against Honda America and Honda canada!!! Anyone have an uncle that's a lawyer or something..have em read this thread and see if it's something worth doing.. Because this happens to me all the damn time..and it's about 10 times worse when it's slush and not just water puddles.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

SuziQ is an unknown quantity at this point
its good to see that this thread is still going. my car had a gasket at the bottom of the bumper that was popping out. i fixed that and the probably went away--so i thought. last weekend when i was driving in the rain, the virbration returned. its really scary. when i look at the tach and oil pressure gauges, i don't see anything unusual. its a powerful vibration that only occur when you are on the gas. you can take your foot off and coast, its quiet.

i think we all should email honda customer service with a link to this thread so they can at least look at the issue and probably run some tests.

EDIT: i have a friend with a 2k kia sephia and his does the same thing. he says that maybe water is splashing up on the exhaust around the header or downpipe. the water is cooling the exhaust locally by which to causing a resonance effect&lt;---therefore vibration.
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

djlunatic is an unknown quantity at this point
5 speed ex with catback and aem caiw/ bypass valve, and my car rumples in the rain also.
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

Pyro is an unknown quantity at this point
Same problem here 5speed lx sedan all stock has been dooing it since i got the car, i just recently put in a front upper strut bar but that has nothing to do with)...i got call today about my leaking trunk from the dealer(my parts finally came in after 3 weeks ugg) and they told me oh yeah i think i jsut saw something about a TSB on it for that noise....i'll post it when i get it back on monday...
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

SpacemanBob is an unknown quantity at this point

<< File a class action law suit against Honda America and Honda canada!!! Anyone have an uncle that's a lawyer or something..have em read this thread and see if it's something worth doing.. Because this happens to me all the damn time..and it's about 10 times worse when it's slush and not just water puddles. >>

Ummmmmm, what exactly are your damages? My dad is a lawyer, but what are you going to be suing for? If it causes a problem, they fix it under warrenty, if not, there's nothing to sue for! You can't sue for a noise......
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
I've noticed the same thing... it kinda feels like spark knock. These cars don't have knock sensors do they?
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

are you guys sure your not HydroPlaning in the rain????? lose of traction feels weird like that, when I had my 94 accord lx I had major traction issues in the rain, I could spin the tires to 3rd gear and make the speed hit allmost 80. Maybe its your guys tires......
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Nah, this is much different that the "oh sh*t" feeling of hydroplaning.
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

maybe there is bad intake placment in the fendor and your actually sucking in water.....if so get the AEM Bypass Valve, or go Short RAM intake and see what happens, I know some people with civic's and Cold AIR/Stock intakes had this problem.
Old 04-28-2002
Registered!!

rallyred2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have sri on my lx auto and it still does it. It did it when my car was stock so I know it's something else.
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

FastandFurious is an unknown quantity at this point
My car is a 5sp., no intake and it does it too. Scares the sh%# out of me. Sounds
like my car is going to die or something. Called the dealership this morning and they
told me they never heard of the problem before. What's causing this?????[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

nebix is an unknown quantity at this point
I have stock engine part and it does the same thing. It feels as if my gears are grinding =(

Someone should find out what it is
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

Ok, this is getting out of hand. something needs to be done. Too bad we all couldn't drive to the same dealership and demand an explanation. Hard to believe they have never heard of the problem with all these ppl having it. Mabey it's a cover up?
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point

<< Ok, this is getting out of hand. something needs to be done. Too bad we all couldn't drive to the same dealership and demand an explanation. Hard to believe they have never heard of the problem with all these ppl having it. Mabey it's a cover up? >>

It has to be... I've prooved my dealer to be full of crap twice.. they said there's no rear deck rattling problem.. (pulled up the Honda Canada service number on it).. also they said all honda seats to that! (my drivers eat was clunking every time I'd rock back and forth or come to a reasonably quick stop)...dealers are full of it because they get paid only for parts on warranty and not labor. They wanna make money so they tell you it's not under warranty so they make $$$ on the part, and labor costs...My Honda dealer was fine $5000 cause of me [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

gah civic's are truly POS's then , sell it and get an Accord, Accord's are worthy Honda cars and can be modded to be fast, they also have more class and are built 10 times better and dont have nearly half the problems I see on this forum.
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point

<< My Honda dealer was fine $5000 cause of me [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] >>

way to go!!!! lets get more people complaining about the bad dealers! Honda should stop sending the bad ones cars to sell
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
i was going to say i havent noticed this problem before, but now that i think about it, i have heard some sounds in the rain, but i thought it was just one wheel losing traction (damn stock tires)
Old 04-29-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG] it happened again today. there was a fire hydrant that was broken and it was spraying water on the opposite lane. i ran over just a small patch of water and there it goes again![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-02-2002
Registered!!

DriftR is an unknown quantity at this point
OK GUYS. I HAVE THE SAME THING. HERE IS MY THEORY:

IF YOU LOOK INTO OUR WHEEL WELLS, YOU CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE. MY GUESS IS THAT WATER SPLASHES THOUGH THAT AREA ONTO ROTATING PARTS IN OUR DRIVE SYSTEM WHICH CAUSES EXTREME VIBRATION DURING ROTATION. LIKE WHEN U RUB TWO GLASS OBJECTS THAT ARE DRY, IT'S FINE BUT ONCE U ADD WATER YOU GET A SORT OF STRANGE FRICTION MAKING IT VIBRATE. THOSE ROTATING PARTS CAN BE ANYTHING FROM OUR DRIVE SHAFTS TO OUR TIMING SYSTEM. I WILL TRY SPRAYING WATER ON THE ROTATING COMPONETS TO SEE: STAY TUNED.
Old 05-02-2002
Registered!!

DriftR is an unknown quantity at this point
OH AND IF I FIND OUT, WE'LL GO TO THE TOP ON THIS ONE.
Old 05-06-2002
Registered!!

smarts is an unknown quantity at this point

hey everyone i have the same problem with my civic it makes such a horrible noise in the rain and sow does anyone know what to do or if there is a way to stop it,
Old 05-09-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I might know what the problem is, my old Ford van did the same thing. It was the accesory belts slipping when they got wet. It turned out that the belts, even though new, were slipping slightly and causing them to vibrate like a rubber band. It took me a few times adjusting them until I got it right by using a "belt tentioner gauge" Just my 2¢

Quick Reply: vibration when driving in rain